Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

What kind of Oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of Oil?

Hi, I was using 10w-30 with 4 pots of Havoline, some one told me that my car is old and should use 10w-40, so the motor dont get alot of noise, because i can heard alot of the valve, and my valve been ajustable from the Honda dealer, keep noise, want to know whats the best oil to put at 80,000+ miles. I notice to put Mobile 1 Syntetic oil. but dont know because its a little high cost. gimme ideas cuz Nov 5 my next change of oil thanks.
    Honda La Ley - Clase y Mas...

My Member Ride

ummm...i dont think 10w-30 go for our cars at all dood...u might wanna do some real personal/manual research before u start jumping to conclusions. ...though IF it is fine..then..bleh. I just dont think it is though...

btw:..Mobile 5w-30 is the best way to go..but u got something goin on under your hood like you said..so..you gotta get mechanical.
    Last edited by Djmoua; 11-04-2007, 04:43 PM.

*Needs*
    -New shocks
    -Struts
    -Drop
    -Cleaning
    -New Tires/Wheels
    -New Window Tint
    -Alot more lovin'

My Panda:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ghlight=Djmoua

Comment

5w30 or 10w30 are fine. It wont harm anything putting in 10w30. Since you live in Puerto Rico, you probably won't experience extreme cold climates. Synthetic oil helps you engine run better, but it might make it leak oil since synthetic oil can get past seals. So you run the risk of that. I run Mobil 1 High Mileage, its a full synthetic 10w30 that isn't that hard on the seals.

member's ride thread
      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
      91 Accord SE 176k
      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Our cars are supposed to run 5w-30, but we can also run 10w-30 without a problem. After talkin to Charlie Rhyu over at Top Setup, he said that if you beat-on your car on a regular basis, you should be running a heavier oil.

Comment

Ohh!! Yeah PR too hot at 12pm get like 95-105 Farenhigt.

oh I tought was 10w-30 so it should be 5w-30? ok I will try that. thanks. and try to buy that Mobile 1 High as you say. thanks fellas..

My Member Ride

Comment

10w-40 is to much weight for the motor in that kind of weather. i say stick with 5w-30, you guys are like never going to see winter.
            miss my turbo cb7
            moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Synthetic might be OK in it, especially if you don't have much oil loss or any smoking. But for the cost, any regular name brand 5 or 10w-30 would do well for a daily driven car till it rots or gets totaled.
              I think you'll be fine with the M1 HM is that's what ya want.
              Drive and be happy.

Just FYI (to prove a point about synthetic causing leaks, and old high mileage engines needing heavier oils, etc.):
              My CB: 162,700 miles (22k per year), 5w-30 synthetic Energy Conserving II (lowest viscosity till you get down to 20 weight oils), year round (0-100 F), no perceivable oil loss between changes, changed at or shortly after 7,500 miles. Even compression on all cylinders, no smoking at start or WOT, 30-33 MPG except in the dead of winter, valvetrain looks almost like new. Engine has a little noise, but I always hear the valvetrains on these are naturally a little noisy, no other noise even when really hot. No plans to change what I've been doing.
              If I tracked it, I'd start with an oil cooler and pressure and temp gauges and then decide if a heavier oil is needed.
              Last edited by Otto; 11-05-2007, 10:34 AM.
              Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Originally posted by Otto
                Synthetic might be OK in it, especially if you don't have much oil loss or any smoking. But for the cost, any regular name brand 5 or 10w-30 would do well for a daily driven car till it rots or gets totaled.
                I think you'll be fine with the M1 HM is that's what ya want.
                Drive and be happy.

Just FYI (to prove a point about synthetic causing leaks, and old high mileage engines needing heavier oils, etc.):
                My CB: 162,700 miles (22k per year), 5w-30 synthetic Energy Conserving II (lowest viscosity till you get down to 20 weight oils), year round (0-100 F), no perceivable oil loss between changes, changed at or shortly after 7,500 miles. Even compression on all cylinders, no smoking at start or WOT, 30-33 MPG except in the dead of winter, valvetrain looks almost like new. Engine has a little noise, but I always hear the valvetrains on these are naturally a little noisy, no other noise even when really hot. No plans to change what I've been doing.
                If I tracked it, I'd start with an oil cooler and pressure and temp gauges and then decide if a heavier oil is needed.
                Best advice here.

And yes, the "w" number is the "winter" weight. That only applies to colder climates. Therefore, you can pretty much ignore that in Puerto Rico!

Synthetics are good, but they can be TOO good and get past old, worn seals. If you burn any oil, a synthetic might be a bad idea. Perhaps a synthetic blend would work?

You can experiment a bit. Synthetic, synthetic blend, heavier weight standard oil. Keep an eye on your oil levels and you'll be alright if you burn some... just don't let it get too low! Check it every few days at least, if not every day. Find one that doesn't burn, but keeps your valvetrain quiet.

Our engines DO have a naturally noisy valvetrain (and I believe the injectors are audible as well).

As for 80,000 miles... if that's all your engine has, that's a baby!

Comment

idk guys i rolled on Mobil 1 Full Synthetic before the turbo. now its royal purple
                  miss my turbo cb7
                  moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Ty, but too late, jajaja i just change it right now, it get down the noise a bit, i put 10w40 Mobil 1 Full syntetic High mileage, my car is right now at 72,273 miles i buy the car at 68,000 around, i dont drive far. in almost 4 years i just get almost 5 miles in almost 4 years lol. and my car dont smoke any. about burning oil what thats mean??? how you know is burning oil ? thanks.

My Member Ride

Comment

Im running 10w30 Castrol GTX super anti sludge High mileage ( 196,991 )

with a Purolator filter

no problems at all! runs smooth as creamed corn coming out of an ass!

my girl's coupe ( 92 LX ) is running Valvoline High mileage 10w30 SYNTHETIC BLEND ( 265,100 )
                      Last edited by SN2BH22CB7; 11-05-2007, 12:26 PM.
                      92 LX. A6 with GUDE bullfrog Cam. M2S4 transmission..Gutted H23 intake mani. The rest you will just have to find out!

MR Thread:
                      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=174586
                      My tribute page: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=70489

Comment

If your oil level goes down between changes and you KNOW you don't have a leak, you're burning oil. Oil should lubricate the head and the lower portion of the bottom end, but it shouldn't get into the combustion chambers. If that happens, it will burn. If it's enough to matter, you will see blue smoke. If you're not smoking, then it should be fine.

A heavy synthetic might be a good choice. See how it works out for you

Also, even though they say to change your oil every 3,000 miles... if you're putting on 1000 miles a year. change the oil every 3 months or so.

Comment

I have been using mobol 1 synth 5w30. My motors got 205000 on it and still running strong.

Comment

Working...
                          X