Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

racing queston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

racing queston

hey guys im new here and new to racing i have a question. when i race how far do i go before going to next gear what do i check on my spedometer so i wont mess up my engen? i have a stock 1990 accord.

well, I take it to about 5500 rpm before shifting, there is not much power above that....

put an intake on it and you will see a little better top end, and exhaust will increase your power prety much across the board.

but you have a rev limiter, so you most likely will not destroy your engine from reving, but remember that this is an older car, and shit breaks when you race it....

Comment

Same. Study a stock dyno curve. I personally shift out of first at 3k, then the rest at 56k.
      Also, you didn't specify what trim level you have. Anything lower than an EX won't be making as much power, I believe the redline is the same. Supposedly, as long as you've maintained your engine correctly you shouldn't have as big a chance of blowing it. You mentioned your speedometer as a shifting determination point. Don't do that. Use your tachometer; it's an indicator of how hard your motor's working. If not just check your manual for the top speed in gear chart.

Comment

well for safety reasons so that you wouldn't blame anything on US!..just try driving out normally first...get the feel for your car and the road and other drivers as well...doing this will ensure that you will know how to drive/race...THAT is the best way IMO to learn how/when to shift and learn what you need to know about your car by driving normal and no racing! u might blow ur engine too...but then you have this site.

update: this can take about a year or maybe longer...new manual drivers aren't all talented IF that's what you are (a new 5spd driver i mean).
        Last edited by Djmoua; 11-19-2007, 06:25 PM.

*Needs*
        -New shocks
        -Struts
        -Drop
        -Cleaning
        -New Tires/Wheels
        -New Window Tint
        -Alot more lovin'

My Panda:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ghlight=Djmoua

Comment

^I agree get a feel for the car first, especially if it is a new car to you. the civic we have in my family doesnt have a tachometer so that is not an option for me when driving that car. If you have a great feel of the car and as you become more used to it, you may not even need to use the tach. Otherwise, if you are intersed in the powerband and where you want to be most of the time, listen to the other guys above.

1992 Honda Accord Coupe LX

Comment

See that red line on the tach after the 6? Don't go past that.

And a stock rev limiter will only do so much. I blew right past my limiter one day when i mis-shifted... I was lucky and didn't damage my motor. A few others (a number of them current or former staff members) weren't so lucky in the same situation.

If you want to race, plan on things breaking. You have an old car. If you can't afford to fix things that break, don't race.

Comment

I hit 9000 and yell VTEC and switch gears. Gets them all the time.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              I piss off people for fun.
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I prefer to yell "Beowulf!!!" or "This is SPARTAAAAA!!!!"

But that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                  I prefer to yell "Beowulf!!!" or "This is SPARTAAAAA!!!!"

But that's just me.
                  Yeah but the sparta thing takes too long

Best advice...since you asked this question...you should NOT be racing. No offense but it has to be said. if you don't know where the powerband is and you don't know how to shift to stay in it without ruining your motor...why are you trying to race? You need to learn quit a bit before you attempt to race.

More importantly...you are driving a 4 cyl, 130hp (if you're lucky) family sedan...as stock it has no business being raced. Even with modest mods it has no business being raced.

Do you understand suspension mods? And why they should be done? Because most folks just up power and don't touch the chassis...I'm sure folks say "I know to upgrade the suspension" when confronted with this info but i'm talking about more than rims, tires, and coilovers. This car is not meant for anything more than driving the kids to school and you to work.

Treat it otherwise and I'll be seeing you in the hospital and your car in the junk yard.

Can you build a cb7 to handle of course...but yours is not...so don't.

Why so serious? cause your trying to push a 1.5 ton block of steal in a manner in which it cannot handle and more importantly that you cannot handle...that's how folks die...do it by yourself and not around others fine...but don't race...you risk their lives and yours.

at least just stay on a track...they're more equiped to handle out of control cars anyway.
                  Last edited by bcjammerx; 11-19-2007, 09:38 PM.
                  ____

Comment

Agreed. On a track, the slips wouldn't be impressive enough to waste the gas. On the street... it's just an embarrassment. If you aren't capable of running AT LEAST high 15s, you won't beat most of the cars on the road today.

Comment

Working...
                    X