Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

BAD BAD rattling noise after lowering 2"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

your struts were probaly just old. i had some ebay coilovers on my car and it dropped it about 3" but i didnt blow a strut until i ran over a pothole too fast.

you can ride around safely with a 2" drop on stock struts but i wouldnt suggest it. get some aftermarket struts and youll be fine. a set should run you about $250-300 for a decent set.

dont mind the harsh comments people up here tell you. Deev is really the only person you should pay any attention to b/c he's a mod and can ban you. lmao. j/k. but dont worry about any harsh comments from anyone up here. just look at the ones who are actually trying to help you.

Comment

Correction... I'm the admin... and I can ban you

Too many people halfass their cars, and then go on to tell others that it's a good idea to do the same. If you look at my mod list, it's not as extensive as many... but just about every part on my car is quality. I'd rather spend a lot on a few quality parts than a little on crap! When it comes to brakes and suspension, it's not even a matter of poor taste...it's a matter of safety! I blew a strut (shock... not exactly the same, but used interchangeably on here) on a pothole once and the car was hard to control at high speeds (changed it the next day... tirerack.com ships quick!)

I know I'm getting beyond the scope of the thread now, since the problem was already identified and should now be corrected, but still... Lowering on stock struts might last for a while, but you'll have to go in sooner or later and change... and that'll be when at least one blows out (which can be dangerous). Replace them with the rest of the suspension, do it all ONCE... and you won't have to worry about it again for a very long time!

Comment

yeah. i know how that doing it over again feels. once i redid my suspension to get rid of those ebay coilovers it took me little longer than when i put them on. but then i had to replace the rear strut b/c it blew and didnt do real good when i went over bumps. the back end wold try to come out while i was going around turns. not the best feeling.

Comment

I redid my front suspension 30 minutes after installing it the first time! I bought it from patastinky. He came down, and we installed it (with the help of 92accordDX). We forgot to install one washer, and I ended up putting the shock pistons into my hood. I drove it carefully to the bank (going to get patastinky's money for the stuff), and we did the fronts over again right there in the bank parking lot

Do it right. Do it once. Easy and cheap is rarely easy and cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
            Do it right. Do it once. Easy and cheap is rarely easy and cheap!

exactly. and lol on the redoing of the suspension 30min after you did it the 1st time. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 92accordLXgirl
              yeah at first i thought it was something in the trunk the noise was so loud and rattling... does anyone know how long struts last? i've heard lots of different things, and i'm sure there are a lot of factors involved but generally speaking like on the freeways for daily driving?
              Depends, like you said, I've seen OE Hondas go usually around 100-150k before they get really bad. At 220k, when I bought my car, mine were so dead they basically did nothing. Really bad....but the rattle noise could also be the strut tops loose, make sure that 14mm nut on top is as tight as it will go.

Proud owner of the only JJDM full 2.5" catback exhaust!

Comment

Well I've got super street full coilovers. I don't see how a strut could be blown, but I guess that's what I get for buying used. But it drives VERY well... argh.

Anyways, since her problem has been identified I guess I need to go check sometime.
                Click for my ride thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovemycb7
                  Well I've got super street full coilovers. I don't see how a strut could be blown, but I guess that's what I get for buying used. But it drives VERY well... argh.

Anyways, since her problem has been identified I guess I need to go check sometime.
                  It shouldnt be if you bought it new...Make sure your shit is tightened down and you installed it properly.

The New-ish Ride
                  My old Ride
                  Hear my Vtak!!!
                  MK3 Member #3
                  I piss off people for fun.
                  IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I got it used. But still it shouldn't be blown. They only had 3 months on them. I'm gonna go look through it all this afternoon. I hope something is loose.
                    Click for my ride thread.

Comment

admit it, we californians have a bad rep... and girls+cars have a bad rep... for right now, it's true for me... you're from orange county? i'm from near long beach
                      Currently in Orange, Moving to FV next month. I'll see ya around I'm sure.

Comment

just to update, after i got the struts (professionally) installed this time, the car drives great! not quite as smooth going over little bumps and things but it's still nice and tight, and right now it's at 1.25" all around which is so much better for Tijuana driving, plus it has a nice even gap between wheels and fenders... aaaaw

Comment

good. too bad the roads around there are bad. now you cant go any lower than that 1.25". thats not low enough for me. lol. but nice. goo job on getting it done by a shop tho.

for the future be sure to get a Haynes manual and read up on how to do things yourself. when i was living in MD, just to replace the seals in the timing belt area it was $800-$1K. all the shops told me it would take 5 hours to do it. it took me no more than 3. saved me a grand

Comment

Working...
                          X