Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

e85

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e85

i wuz just wondring if we can some how use the gas its cheper then the regaler stuff right now by 30 cents...someone told me its like 110 octane right out the pump but thats hard to belave

Originally posted by EPA on E85fuel.com
    IS IT POSSIBLE TO CONVERT A VEHICLE THAT WAS DESIGNED FOR GASOLINE TO OPERATE ON E85?

Yes. However, there are no conversions or after-market parts that have been certified by the EPA as meeting the standards to maintain clean exhaust emissions. Technically speaking, converting a vehicle that was designed to operate on unleaded gasoline only to operate on another form of fuel is a violation of the federal law and the offender may be subject to significant penalties. No after-market conversion company has successfully certified an E85 kit that would allow a gasoline vehicle to operate on 85 percent ethanol.

The differences in fuel injector size, air-fuel ratio, PCM calibrations, material composition of the fuel lines, pumps and tanks are just a few of the components that contribute to making an E85 conversion extremely complex. It is our understanding that at least one company is working to obtain EPA certification. We will monitor the situation closely, understanding the certification process can be time consuming, difficult and expensive.
    It is possible but, not certified by the EPA.. And any conversion of this size would be extremely expensive.. Later

Comment

so ur says..we or i cant use it inless i make changes and thats if a company out there makes a kit...

Comment

yeah i read somewhere that it takes a lot more e85 for it to actually combust better and produce the required amount of power to do anything, thus the reason for the bigger injectors.

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2
          yeah i read somewhere that it takes a lot more e85 for it to actually combust better and produce the required amount of power to do anything, thus the reason for the bigger injectors.
          The gas does not combust better...It is a higher octane. Its pointless unless you have a race application. E85 is equivalent to 107 octane. You need bigger injectors because e85 is a bit thicker. Systems have to be converted to SS to prevent wear later on. There is a lot more stuff. It can slowly eat seals and blah blah blah....Sure it burns cleaner...But if you like smelling like french fries after you drive go for it. Oh yea you get more gas mileage with normal fuel.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

so i should not worry about the e85..?and can someone boosted use it? with 880rc injetors? 7 lbs boost?

Comment

If your pushing 7lbs with e85....save your money.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              I piss off people for fun.
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                If your pushing 7lbs with e85....save your money.
                nail, shut up.

Also, don't anyone ever say "x psi". It's too vague, it's retarded.

E85 requires you to get much larger injectors. A new fuel pump would be a great idea, but depending on the condition of your current one, you can get away with upgrading the wiring.

You don't have to convert your lines. yes, it does corrode, but it takes a long ass time. Longer than most people ever have one car for. It's no big deal like people make it seem.

E85 is no set octane. It's a mix of ethanol and gasoline(it's supposed to be 85 ethanol/15 alcohol, but it varies from pump to pump). So it's never the same octane. It can range from 104 to 110.

Either way, it's a high octane, for cheaper than normal higher octanes. But you have to get bigger injectors and a good fuel pump.

Tho it may be cheaper, you use more of it. Theory says you lose 10% in gas mileage. This is because there is less energy in alcohol than there is in gasoline. It also burns slower, which raises your knock limit. Not so much a good thing on our f22's, considering f22's don't do well with a lot of timing.

You will have trouble starting your car in the mornings, or whenever its really cold. Ethanol doesn't vaporize under 60-65*F. It'll take a few cranks to start, and would probably have a nasty idle. Not only because of the fuel, but because you're running way bigger injectors.

You're better off running water/meth injection.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

thanks d112...yea i wuz j/w if we can use it cuz it was way cheaper then the 87...but no mater what the out come would still cost the same cuz u lose 10% gas mpg..but all well ill stick to the 87 shit i guess the good old 309 pg

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
                    nail, shut up.

You don't have to convert your lines. yes, it does corrode, but it takes a long ass time. Longer than most people ever have one car for. It's no big deal like people make it seem.

E85 is no set octane. It's a mix of ethanol and gasoline(it's supposed to be 85 ethanol/15 alcohol, but it varies from pump to pump). So it's never the same octane. It can range from 104 to 110.

Actually this is false.... Methanol will corrode your lines. e85 will not. ethanol and methanol are two very different things especially when it comes to corrosion.

and you mixed up saying 85% ethanol and 15% alcohol. its actually 15% gasoline.

Lastly converting to e85 is very very easy! all you need is a hondata a competant tuner that knows how to tune for lambda and 30% larger injectors.

I am going to be running my car on e85 once my build is finished.

also just tuned a prelude super built on e85 with 1600cc injectors and netted 623 hp and 511 lbs of tq. course thats with a big turbo.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
                    member ride thread
                    11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
                    DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                    People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
                    I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                    John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Originally posted by turbo90accord
                      Actually this is false.... Methanol will corrode your lines. e85 will not. ethanol and methanol are two very different things especially when it comes to corrosion.

and you mixed up saying 85% ethanol and 15% alcohol. its actually 15% gasoline.

Lastly converting to e85 is very very easy! all you need is a hondata a competant tuner that knows how to tune for lambda and 30% larger injectors.

I am going to be running my car on e85 once my build is finished.

also just tuned a prelude super built on e85 with 1600cc injectors and netted 623 hp and 511 lbs of tq. course thats with a big turbo.
                      Thanks for the corrections.

But, you don't need hondata to tune with. Any system can do it.

Comment

very true, hondata is just my personal preference...

member ride thread
                        DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                        I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                        John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                          The gas does not combust better...It is a higher octane. Its pointless unless you have a race application. E85 is equivalent to 107 octane. You need bigger injectors because e85 is a bit thicker. Systems have to be converted to SS to prevent wear later on. There is a lot more stuff. It can slowly eat seals and blah blah blah....Sure it burns cleaner...But if you like smelling like french fries after you drive go for it. Oh yea you get more gas mileage with normal fuel.
                          i use to use it alot with my old car, the gas mileage suck more then regular gas does. it may seem to make your car go fast in the beginning but later on it feels slow.

1994 Accord Coupe LX BPU
                          1991 Galant VR4 #1395/2000 Sold
                          1990 Accord EX 4DR Sold
                          1990 Galant Base Model junked it
                          1991 Accord EX 4DR gave away

Comment

Originally posted by dark_stalker
                            i use to use it alot with my old car, the gas mileage suck more then regular gas does. it may seem to make your car go fast in the beginning but later on it feels slow.

were you using anything to tune it or did you just put e85 in your tank and run it?

member ride thread
                            DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS

Comment

Originally posted by dark_stalker
                              E85 doesn't add power.

same goes with any higher octane rating than what you're supposed to use.

It only raises your knock limit.

Comment

Working...
                              X