Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Reason For Balance Shafts???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reason For Balance Shafts???

wat is the reason the F-series motor to have front and rear balance shafts??? and are they really that neccessary???
    A wise man sees failure as progress...

from what i know, there's people that actually just take the belt off and run just like that, so i guess it's not that necessary

they say it actually frees up some power up top, just gotta make sure they don't have any spin to keep oil pressure....

i might be incorrect... Hondafan and d112crzy will know from first-hand expirience

THEN: 1993 Accord 10th Ann. Ed.---------------------- NOW: 1996 Accord EX
    My Ride thread
    Flickr
    Originally posted by d112crzy
    And it can only get better. That's the best part.
    All I gotta really say is:
    People of cb7tuner, this AUTO is NOT a joke. It has impressed ME, the hater of auto's.

Comment

they are supposed to keep engine vibrations to a minimum and everything rotating smoothly....

they arent necessary, there are other honda engines that dont have them.
      F22a1-->F22A-->H22A-->auto-2-5spd-->K20 6spd-->F22C 6spd RWD-->4G63 6spd AWD-->K24 6spd????

Sold to: blackice, Myothercar, Rennat, Ilikebigbutts, HA91, DA92CB7, accord91lx, Cb7GHOST, Gemini, whiteaccord92,Warudakumi, jhondayaaj
      Bought from: 93twodoorLX, Datmofo, g7kobayashi, accord_inspire, Accord SiR, Kurobei, UK-Accord, phreakish93, RENR, k-mart

Comment

Balance shafts are used cancel out vibrations in the motor basically (easiest definition i can think of). They arent needed but they are there as more of a comfort device.

EDIT: damn it sms beat me to it lol.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

so you CAN just take off the belt and everthing will be just fine?

My Ride thread
          Flickr
          People of cb7tuner, this AUTO is NOT a joke. It has impressed ME, the hater of auto's.

Comment

im questionning the engine longevity of the engine w/o belts

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
            "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
            "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
              im questionning the engine longevity of the engine w/o belts
              engine longetivity of the engine

x2 on that though ...

My Ride thread
              Flickr

Comment

i know d112crzy did. i asked if really did but he never answered me. i hate it when people do that. lol

anyways. ive been thinking about it but i want to find out for sure tho.

Comment

what i meant was the longevity of the engine lol braind diahria fart

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                  "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                  "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

i cant say based on personal experience....BUT its just something honda decided to do with the accords/preludes.

look at the B-series engines! high reving, no balancer shafts, no issues. its just kinda like a luxory that our engines got. hahaha

shoot even old fart techs at work have said they dont do THAT much, and they arent necessary...

food for thought. do it if you want, OR not. IMO the little gains arent worth it. lol
                    F22a1-->F22A-->H22A-->auto-2-5spd-->K20 6spd-->F22C 6spd RWD-->4G63 6spd AWD-->K24 6spd????

Sold to: blackice, Myothercar, Rennat, Ilikebigbutts, HA91, DA92CB7, accord91lx, Cb7GHOST, Gemini, whiteaccord92,Warudakumi, jhondayaaj
                    Bought from: 93twodoorLX, Datmofo, g7kobayashi, accord_inspire, Accord SiR, Kurobei, UK-Accord, phreakish93, RENR, k-mart

Comment

well balance shaft are meant for what everyone else has said they are also meant to help with damageing harmonic frequencies to the internal components (piston crank rods)they are meant to absorb these. not trying to scare you off from doing it cuz when i had my lude and built the engine there is a company that sold a delete kit oil jacket plugs and block plugs and whatnot and i never had a problem but during the build i also balance everything in the motor even so i donnt know what to tell you. as for engine longevity come on you drive a f series only like the most beat on and longest lasting little motors in the world.

disclaimer: i didnt say do it so if you do dont get mad at me, just do some research on it.

Comment

The balance shafts serve actually no structural purpose. I haven't had one in years, on my F22, or my H22.

It is simply because 4 cylinders inherently have what is known as "second order vibration." The bigger the rotating mass (i.e. displacement), the bigger the vibration. This would be felt through the steering wheel as that vibrating sander texture.

Pretty much anything above 2.0 L needs them simply to smooth them out. I think even the K20 has them if I remember correctly, as does the R18 in the new Civic. There is a noticable difference in the vibration with the belt off, when your hands are on the steering wheel at idle. But it isn't really that much, and it isn't going to hurt anything. It also helps it rev slightly more freely, but also makes it sound a little more coarse. It saves about 3WHP on an H22, mostly up top, since the shafts rotate at 2x the engine speed, and at 16,000 RPM, they do produce friction. The newer designs are probably more efficient, as they are located down in the crankcase, below the crank, and are contained in a small case.

Honestly, I left mine off because it was easier. I have been thinking about putting it back on next T-belt change, but we will see.
                        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by AshesWagon
                          well balance shaft are meant for what everyone else has said they are also meant to help with damageing harmonic frequencies to the internal components (piston crank rods)they are meant to absorb these. not trying to scare you off from doing it cuz when i had my lude and built the engine there is a company that sold a delete kit oil jacket plugs and block plugs and whatnot and i never had a problem but during the build i also balance everything in the motor even so i donnt know what to tell you. as for engine longevity come on you drive a f series only like the most beat on and longest lasting little motors in the world.

disclaimer: i didnt say do it so if you do dont get mad at me, just do some research on it.

Honda's rotating assemblies are very finely balanced from the factory. It isn't like an old GM where the crank pulley is there to keep the rotating assembly from exploding.

The balance shafts in an H22/F22 have nothing to do with harmonic damping, as they are not directly part of the rotating assembly, and thus have no way of damping harmonic vibrations.
                          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

well if you take out the complete assembly as in the complete shafts supposedly you get pretty good gains as people have been saying on HT and scott mentioned it a few times as I recall. But then you would need to purchase that Kaizen kit and press some stuff in. And a slight rise in oil pressure with it removed because of the blocked ports to the balance shafts.

The New-ish Ride
                            My old Ride
                            Hear my Vtak!!!
                            MK3 Member #3
                            I piss off people for fun.
                            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

i guess i can give it a try... still kinda gives me a lil bad tickle

My Ride thread
                              Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X