Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

f22b smoking with low compression #s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

f22b smoking with low compression #s

my motor is consuming oil. I can see smoke puffs come out of the tailpipe when I rev it. I can hear backfiring some times. my compression was at around 215-220 psi on every cylinder last time I checked it (about 1 month ago). now every cylinder is between 130 and 140 . for awhile I had a problem with it cutting off while I was coasting with the clutch in, or having it almoast cut off then it would bounce back to 1k and repeat, untill it stabilized. cold air idle valve is bypassed and permantly closed. I checked compression after it started cutting off. this thing was running so strong since I got the exuast done, and now It isnt looking good. I was gonna take it to the track next thursday but I guess I cant now.

anyone know what it might be?
    spin city

Have you been abusing the motor and is it making any funny noise's. As for the compression was the motor hott or cold and did you have the same guy do it each time.

"Real intelligence is like a river; the deeper it is, the less noise it makes.”

Click Me

Comment

Add some trans fluid next time you do a wet compression test. If your numbers go up then you most likely got worn rings.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

i did the compression test and used the same meter. I take the f22b up to redline all the time. and yea it making a slightly different. noise than Ive heard before. what kind of trans fluid?
        spin city

Comment

after the compression test, do a leak down test, and this will further pin point what is wrong with the motor. what color is the smoke,

white? most likely burning coolant which is a blown headgasket
          blue? burning oil. either valve seals or rings
          black? most likely running rich. check o2, tune up etc
          Members Ride

Comment

the smoke was thin And I didnt look at it real good. I dont know how to do a leakdown test. the brand new exaust is covered in black stuff on the inside. with compression numbers like what Ive got I know it isnt just running rich.
            spin city

Comment

YAY!!!
              my compression is just fine!!!! all 4 cylinders are normal. sometimes my hair color overpowers my IQ (I'm blond). I forgot that compression test are done at WOT.
              the bad news is that it is blowing blue smoke out of the tail pipe and, It didnt do it today but It did backfire pretty bad yesterday. I swear it it felt like it was missing and hesitating while I was at wot a couple of times the past week. also It has the idling problem that I cannot figure out, as described in the original post. I only notice the cloud of smoke when I rev it from idle. if I hold it at 2k and then rev it up a bit I dont see any smoke.
              spin city

Comment

Originally posted by dbsharp
                YAY!!!
                my compression is just fine!!!! all 4 cylinders are normal. sometimes my hair color overpowers my IQ (I'm blond). I forgot that compression test are done at WOT.
                the bad news is that it is blowing blue smoke out of the tail pipe and, It didnt do it today but It did backfire pretty bad yesterday. I swear it it felt like it was missing and hesitating while I was at wot a couple of times the past week. also It has the idling problem that I cannot figure out, as described in the original post. I only notice the cloud of smoke when I rev it from idle. if I hold it at 2k and then rev it up a bit I dont see any smoke.
                check timing for the backfire
                wat?

Comment

on further inspection, I noticed that the longer the motor idles the more smoke it makes when I give it a little rev. it also sounds like like one of the valves is making more noise than the others. valve lash adjustments were done recently. If this is a leaky valve seal then I will try to live with it untill I get my cams and then I will be replacing anything in the head not up to par.
                  spin city

Comment

this story has a strange twist. there appears to be nothing wrong with the motor now. It was smoking at my house, enough for me to see a little cloud when I drove off, and by the time I got to auto zone it quit smoking COMPLETELY. It was fully warmed up when it was smoking at my house, so I don't think that has anything to do with it. yesterday it ran like shit. today it is running perfectly. no cel. Could a bad o2 cause this?
                    Last edited by dbsharp; 09-05-2007, 08:18 PM.
                    spin city

Comment

I think oil is drippen from the spark plugs or something like that and getting on your pistons.

Click Me

Comment

You know...when you do a compression check you just crank then engine over...but make sure the fuel pump isn't pumping...or else you'll get a wet test...and that's not quit what you want.

I'm still leaning towards rings...maybe valves...but...I dunno...seems more like rings to me...

red lining is not good for the 'ol f22...and there most likely lies your problem.
                        Besides...there is no point in red lining...I'm pretty sure the max HP and torque on the f22 is around 56k??? So if you redline (6250rpm) your shifting to late and reving to long...

This is not good for the f22...it's valves and valve springs and lockers/keepers/retainers...whatever...they aren't meant to handle that stress... constant redlining increases heat...heat weakens springs and everything connected to the valves...either you'll float a valve (weak spring won't pull valve back quickly enough) and *DOINK into piston or you'll simply lose a valve into your cylinder and *THWACK into piston and wall of cylinder.

At redline...things break quickly and happen quickly...not good...

Change your oil NO LESS than every 27k (because of the abuse) and you'll increase the longevity a little bit.

I'm pretty hard on my f22 but no smoke or other issues like that.
                        eesh...mine smoked a little...sputtered on accel...and it was all cause of a bad o2 sensor

Any hoo...you could have just gotten some oil into the cylinder...might explain the different results and the intermittent smoking...good luck though.
                        ____

Comment

Originally posted by NorcoAccord
                          I think oil is drippen from the spark plugs or something like that and getting on your pistons.
                          Huh...Oil does not go through that hole unless you have a hole somewhere in your plug.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          I piss off people for fun.
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                            Huh...Oil does not go through that hole unless you have a hole somewhere in your plug.
                            My spark plugs use to get covered in oil all the time.

Click Me

Comment

this motor (jdm f22b) makes power pretty high for a f22. I am awesome at maintenance and I only use the best stuff.
                              spin city

Comment

Working...
                              X