Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

head swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

head swap

i have a f22 b2,i really cant seem to find the DOHC f22 locally, and the h23 head swap seems difficult.... i was thinkin i can do the b1 headswap so i get vtec after i get a new ecu also. this sound like a good mod? is there a better candidate to pick up some extra horse power?

The F22B1 head is absolute trash. You're better off going turbo, or at least getting a cam regrind for the B2.

IMO, headswaps aren't a good idea anyway. They just increase the chance that something will go wrong.

Comment

no shit....okay thanx i have been avoiding the whold turbo thing....my friend once had a b1 head port and polished that had good really pull when the vtec kicked in....i just know that the F22 has more potential then what it is at right now even if it was all N/A. cuz the h22 has so MUCH more power with almost the same displacement

Comment

The F22B1 head flows VERY poorly. The "VTEC" is only on the intake valves, so it's barely comparable to the H22 or B18. The F22A head flows better, honestly.

Comment

I have a f22b1 swap, the complete swap. It seems like it has less power than my original f22a1 with both on's. Stick with the f22a, thats what i'm doing. Later this month or begining of next month, I am pulling my f22b1 and doing a water pump/ timing job and dropping it in to my wifes car. I'm then pulling her f22a6 for rebuild and partial build to drop in my accord.

My Members Ride Thread

Comment

damn that sux, i was wonderin why most the engine builds here use the f22ax, i want vtec bad tho ...

Comment

if you want vtec... save up and get the H !! vtec ain't the greatest thing.. but it does help... if you build a motor right then you can beat an H .

Originally posted by Devergote
              A CB7 with an H22, a clean paintjob, HIDs with a projector retrofit, some nice wheels, and a mild drop on H&R Sport springs and Koni Yellow shocks... that's the perfect car. I'd be happy with that for the rest of my life.

Comment

okay i have a f22a6 and i wanna swop off my head ..what would be the best for me?

Comment

Headswaps aren't a great idea anyway. And honestly, if you don't know enough about the particular heads themselves, then doing a swap would be damn near impossible.

The F22B DOHC head is a decent choice. The H22 head sounds nice, but you'd have to remember that you'd be putting it on a block with lower compression and a lower redline (well, supposedly they can handle it... but I wouldn't risk it). The F22B1 head is garbage.

Honestly, the F22A6 head is a very good head.

People are so quick to assume that the motor that comes in their car is worthless.

If you want to swap, swap an entire motor.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                    Headswaps aren't a great idea anyway.
                    can you please explain how?

There is absolutely nothing that can go wrong if installed right.

Saying that the head is not meant to be on the block is bullshit.

Honda made the F22B dohc, f22a block with an h23 head.

You can use the same gasket, same studs. The valves won't hit the head unless you mill an insane amount.

Any head swap that has gone wrong was because of user error.

Don't rev the piss out of the engine. Don't starve it of oil. Don't add too much timing.

Those are keys in maintaining frankensteins and well...any f22. F22's don't like timing, period.

Look at the countless of ls/vtec going around making insane power.

head swaps are a great idea for cheap power.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
                      There is absolutely nothing that can go wrong if installed right.
                      That, right there, is your answer.

If you are able to do it right, you will understand how the engines work, and what exactly you'll be changing. If you have to ask what heads are good, the chances of you getting it right are slim.

There's nothing wrong with turbo. There's nothing wrong with nitrous. There's nothing wrong with twincharging. However, you have to do it RIGHT.

The more complicated you make something, the greater your chances are of screwing it up. The F22A head is perfectly fine for any application. Swapping over another head gives no significant benefit over an entire motor. It's not an easy way to gain horsepower. An F22B DOHC headswap might get you 20hp. It'll cost you $500 or more, on average (200 for the head, 100 for a chipped ecu running a basemap or an approximate tune, 200 for gaskets, seals, fluids, and belts). For the same price, you can get twice the horsepower with turbo, and retain about the same reliability and risk.

Check out the technical and performance sections over the years... see how often people actually "do it right". It's not often.

Comment

Ok, that goes for engine swapping and modding cars in general.

It doesn't mean it's a bad idea, which was your original statement.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

For the same price, you can get twice the horsepower with turbo, and retain about the same reliability and risk.
                          I don't ENTIRELY agree with that. If it can be done reliably then it's not for $500. If it can be done for $500(I'm sure it can by some people but not by all-depends on what deals you happen to find) it's not going to be JUST AS reliable as stock. Reliable is very possible. But not the same as stock.
                          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

*Note this is not a flame to what Deevergote said* I respect this man very highly

when I had the h23 headswap, done it in april, and literally drove it everyday (to school and work), made two trips to charlotte n.c., several trips to atlanta. put about 20k on it, there was nothing wrong with it when i pulled it out.... just got the h22 for a good deal, otherwise i was going to stick with it...

Comment

i gotta tell you from my expirience, my headswap was GREAT while it lasted(till i started acting stupid ), all i had was the head milled, I/H/E, underdrive pulley, IM phenolic spacer and smoothened ports and boy was that shit pulling like a bat out of hell on stock pt6!

like mentioned previously, when done CORRECTLY, the swap is more than worth it, definite noticable gains and greater opportunity for more power from the amount of money invested

THEN: 1993 Accord 10th Ann. Ed.---------------------- NOW: 1996 Accord EX
                              My Ride thread
                              Flickr
                              Originally posted by d112crzy
                              And it can only get better. That's the best part.
                              All I gotta really say is:
                              People of cb7tuner, this AUTO is NOT a joke. It has impressed ME, the hater of auto's.

Comment

Working...
                              X