Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Pulling the head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulling the head?

I know this is more of an adavanced question to be asking, but I'd really like to avoid bringing my beater car to a shop and get raped financially. Basically I sucked up water not too long ago and can't get compression in any of the cylinders (valves are gone?). So I want to do a little bit of surgery to the motor, but don't know exactly how to go about doing it. Do I just basically take off every bolt I see? Do I have to drain all the fluids first? Sorry for the idiotic quesions!

Nothing is too advanced... it's only the Beginner forum because you're a beginner to this website!

Drain the fluids, yes.

If you sucked up water, your entire motor could be shot. Hydrolock usually means total destruction. The pistons can't compress the water, so it's like throwing them at a brick wall.

Your best option is to buy a manual. Haynes is probably the easiest to follow, since it focuses ONLY on the 1990-1993 Accord. Chiltons covers 4 generations of 2 models (84-95 Accord/Prelude)... pretty much useless.
    There is a certain order to removing the head bolts, so you don't warp the head. It's clamped down very tightly, and made of aluminum... so if you simply remove a bolt, it WILL warp. A slightly warped head can be milled. A badly warped head is trash.

Other than the head bolts, it's pretty much as you said. Just remove everything you can find! The exhaust manifold bolts will be a pain. Get some PB Blaster and let them soak overnight. You can pull everything off of the head however you want, as long as you don't force anything (hard to ruin anything when you're removing parts, though... other than the head itself)

So, yank the stuff bolted to the head. Pull the valve cover, and then get yourself a manual to follow while you remove the head.

Be prepared to write that motor off, though... If you sucked up water, chances are, it's done for. It's probably easier (and just as expensive) to replace the whole motor as it is just the head! F22As are a dime a dozen, and they aren't too hard to remove and install. Check the Swaps forum stickies for instructions there.

Comment

i dont know that it is your valves, i heard you can bend rods when you get water in the engine. but as far as pulling the head.

BUY A MANUAL, only liek 20 bucks

remove the intake tube
      remove valve cover
      romove top timing belt cover
      remove drive belts
      remove bottom crank (you probally need an impact gun)
      remove lower timing cover
      remove tension on timing tensioner, and remove timing belt
      remove exhhaust manifold
      unbolt the head bolts (located underneeth valve cover)

by now you should be able to pull it off the head, you can leave the intake manfold on for now it will pull out with the rest of the head, sometimes they stick to the gasket so you need to GENTLY pry with a screw driver.

from there do some headwork, PORT AND POLISH

i probally left something out cuz this is off the top of my head, my manual is at home. let me know i will double check later

but yea buy a manual

Comment

Was your motor siezed is that why you couldnt get compression? If you sucked up water depending on how you did it your motor can be fine or you coulda fucked something up.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

motor

time for a swap !! if you just want to get a motor back in your car i bet someone here can hook you up with one depending on your location. if not a local junkyard should have them pretty cheap. but i wouldn't lean to trying and getting your motor back running.. because if you have let it sit for a while then it will rust and lock up !!

Originally posted by Devergote
          A CB7 with an H22, a clean paintjob, HIDs with a projector retrofit, some nice wheels, and a mild drop on H&R Sport springs and Koni Yellow shocks... that's the perfect car. I'd be happy with that for the rest of my life.

Comment

Well I already got most/all of the water out. I took off the intake, unplugged the spark plugs and turned the key and water shot out. When I took off my valve cover there werent any real signs of a lot of water present. There was only like 1 spot that looked a bit milky. My dipstick still shows regular oil color, but I guess I'll see when I take it all apart

Comment

It's not the water mixing with the oil that causes damage. The problem is that when water enters the combustion chamber, the pistons, which are moving at very high speeds, can't compress the water as they would air. As I said above, it's like smashing your piston into a brick wall. It doesn't take much water to totally destroy an engine.

Comment

Yeah I understand and agree, so I have to dig in there and see what all is damaged.

Comment

Ok well I got the head back on today, I do have compression now, however the car still won't start. When the head was off, the pistons came all the way to the top, and back down.

Also, now there is oil coming from the left side of the motor where the head meets the block. I followed the tightening sequence down perfectly, put a new head gasket up there, etc. Anybody else have this problem before? im going to have a friend look at it this week...

Comment

Working...
                  X