Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Ball Joints or Rack and Pinion ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ball Joints or Rack and Pinion ?

I driving my CB7 and when the car gets warmed up and I've been driving in stop and go traffic it starts to feel wierd, like if something is poping on the front end, I drive and when I turn sound like snap crackel pop,, and when I press my brakes as well, even when I'm parked it makes noise but that's after I have been driving the car in stop and go traffic..

Either one shouldn't have anything to do with the car being warmed up... That makes it a bit odd!

Get under the car and look at the ball joints, upper and lower. If they're bad, the boots will be split. Easy to rule that out, if it's not the problem.

The sound while turning makes me think you have a bad axle... usually when the CV joint boots rip, the joints wear out and they click when you turn. Again, get under and look at the boots on the axles. They should not be ripped. If they are, they're bad. Replace the axles.

Rack and pinion, I've never had a problem with. I wouldn't even know how to check to see if it's bad!

Comment

Thanks, I will be under there this weekend and if I remember I'll take some pic's just in case and post them.

Comment

the lower ball joint are under the knuckle. The tie rods are connected to the knuckle. Again the lower ball joint is under the knuckle and I dont know how some one could service that part.

Comment

The easiest way to replace the lower ball joint is to remove the entire knuckle. It's not really a fun project. Doable, and I have friends that have done it without the help of a shop or a hydraulic press... but it's a pain in the tuckus.

Comment

My write up to getting off the Ball joint (lower front)
            Step 1-
            Remove tire (obviously jack it up, and place it on JACKSTANDS!)
            Remove the Center hub nut (36MM) with an impact gun easiest)
            Take a small hammer, and loosen off the Axel from the Hub
            Remove Cotter pin and nut from Old ball joint, use ball join fork, and split the ball join from the knuckle.

While pushing in the Axle, pull out on the hub, and push it towards the driver (or passenger) door. (This will give you decent access to the ball joint without killing yourself)

Take the 36MM Hub nut impact socket, and place it on the hub bearing, tap it out JUST A LITTLE BIT!!! (DO NOT HIT THIS TOO HARD, LITTLE TAPS IF NECCESSARY, If the entire hub comes out, adn those bearings fall, your going to end up having to buy a new hub.

While doing this, make sure you dont stretch the brake line, If it snaps, you will ahve to bleed it, and get a new cable.

remove C-clip from ball joint (bottom side of the ball joint)
            From the bottom, pound out the ball joint from the stud, dont hit around it.
            remove from top, and put new one in reverse of these instructions.
            Any questions, post back!
            90 Accord EX F22a1 Auto R.I.P.
            2011 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L GS sport HELLO!

Comment

Originally posted by bigoskii
              I driving my CB7 and when the car gets warmed up and I've been driving in stop and go traffic it starts to feel wierd, like if something is poping on the front end, I drive and when I turn sound like snap crackel pop,, and when I press my brakes as well, even when I'm parked it makes noise but that's after I have been driving the car in stop and go traffic..

sounds engine related

Comment

Working...
              X