Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Heatshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deevergote
    Be aware that header wrap keeps the heat in. Metal reacts to high heat. I have yet to see it happen, but it's a good possibility that header wrap will cause premature cracking.

The good thing is that the headers that are most likely to crack are usually the cheapies... so you can't really expect them to last anyway!

wouldnt the heat shield keep heat around the headers as the wrap would? cuz to me it would seem like the heat would still be staying with the headers if there is a heat shield, it just wont get to the same degree as with the wrap.

^^^^ me trying to kill myself after i saw the gas prices.

MY H22 COUPE ---> http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=75025

Comment

It depends. Under many circumstances your engine bay temps won't vary much. It will take a little bit longer for bay temps to rise back up, once they have come down, but if sitting, they will still come up.

In my experience, ceramic coating makes a larger difference. If you paint the manifold with high temp insulating paint, and then put the heatshield back on, then you will probably be a little better off.
      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by ignatsh22
        wouldnt the heat shield keep heat around the headers as the wrap would? cuz to me it would seem like the heat would still be staying with the headers if there is a heat shield, it just wont get to the same degree as with the wrap.

The heat shield simply creates a barrier of air between the exhaust manifoldr and engine compartment. So it basically slows the process.

To some extent, heat wrap, and ceramic coating, change the transfer properties of the metal, so less heat radiates, as opposed to the same heat radiating more slowly.

Eventually, if the car were to sit long enough, your temps will all come up anyway, but the ceramic and wrap are much more effective.
        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Will the heat shield fit over aftermarket headers

Does anyone know if the heat shield will fit over a set of after market headers? I was thinking something like megan headers or OBX headers, does anyone have those?

H22 Fund Cancelled. Flight training underway.

Comment

Id like to know if its normal for these cars to get excessivly hot under the hood, im used to domestics that are less heated, and this one, you have to prop up the hood for a bit just to get it cooled down ( you cant touch a spark plug wire without it being hot... ) then again, this is also after about 5 hours of driving
            <<note - i dont have the heat shield on>>
            90 Accord EX F22a1 Auto R.I.P.
            2011 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L GS sport HELLO!

Comment

Most aftermarket headers will not allow the heat shield to be replaced. I don't know of any, in fact.

I just removed my shield to replace my front mount yesterday. I didn't put it back on, and it is CONSIDERABLY hotter under there without it! 93twodoorLX even commented as he walked up to the car. The shield is going back on today.

Comment

holy god ya it was. it makes me REALLY appreciate my header wrap. my under hood temps NEVER get that bad. and my spark plug wires never ever get that hot lol

-sean
                Members ride 15.927 @ 86.76 (f22a1)

Hit the clutch Hit the gear Hit the gas and i'm GONE>>>
                Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

Now i kinda wish I got that header wrap from you before you gave it to Nick!

When I get the Bisimoto header, I'm definitely going to spring for the ceramic coating.

Comment

Ok, now i see you guys are talking about considerably hotter CB7's after you removed the heat shield, i walk up to my car, and seriously, you put your foot near it, or hand on the hood, you cant have it near there for long, time to get another shield...

EDIT: Or maybe a hood scoop thats functional... O.o
                    90 Accord EX F22a1 Auto R.I.P.
                    2011 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L GS sport HELLO!

Comment

this is one of many reasons why when i do my engine build i want to port my stock manifold ....or is that just retarted?

Comment

hmmm...hood scoop to blow on the header...(or in my case manifold *ACK!!!) not a bad idea...just nothing to insane now

porting...you will want to flow test it...you can seriously screw up flow by porting...polishing is pretty safe...but again...sometimes stuff is made the way it is for a reason...well...SOMEtimes..

But to port you've really gotta watch what you do...
                        Last edited by bcjammerx; 09-06-2007, 01:15 AM.
                        ____

Comment

Working...
                        X