Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Tension Alternator Belt Correctly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tension Alternator Belt Correctly?

I'm about to replace the brushes on my alternator, which is a pretty straightforward process, using the DIY and my Haynes. However, the instructions on re-tensioning the belt are lacking.

Do I really just re-bolt the alternator in place, and then adjust the tension bolt until the belt has 1/2 inch of deflection? What happens if the belt is too loose, or too tight?

Originally posted by doylna
    I'm about to replace the brushes on my alternator, which is a pretty straightforward process, using the DIY and my Haynes. However, the instructions on re-tensioning the belt are lacking.

Do I really just re-bolt the alternator in place, and then adjust the tension bolt until the belt has 1/2 inch of deflection? What happens if the belt is too loose, or too tight?
    too tight you can prematurely wear out the alternator bearings. too lose your belt will slip when you load the electrical system. setting the belt deflection isnt hard at all. always err on the side of caution and go looser, and re-tighten accordingly if you need to. if i install an alt belt in the summer, i 80% of the time, have to give it an adjustment when the cold weather starts setting in.

Comment

your going to feel it. tighten then check the belt, and tighten and check the belt. thats what i do.
      miss my turbo cb7
      moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

They way i check is if you cant twist the belt past 180 degrees your set. Also you can feel it as mentioned. Personally you will know when its too tight at least I do. If its too loose the worse its gonna do is squeal and all you do is retighten it a bit.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
          They way i check is if you cant twist the belt past 180 degrees your set. Also you can feel it as mentioned. Personally you will know when its too tight at least I do. If its too loose the worse its gonna do is squeal and all you do is retighten it a bit.
          That's an interesting idea. You're suggesting that if I'm looking at the belt from the top and the smooth side is 12 o'clock, if try to twist to the right and left - if the toothed side rotates all the way over (to 12 o'clock) then it's too loose?

cool, thanks.

Comment

And just to be clear, I tighten the two other bolts, and then use the adjustment bolt at the bottom of the alternator to set the belt?

Comment

If I recall correctly, the last bolt to tighten is the one that sits inside the big adjustment gap.

...adjust accordingly

Comment

12 and 14mm bolts have to be loose to set the tension when you get it just right thats when you tighten all of them up.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                I piss off people for fun.
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                X