Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Different hp specs for stock non-VTEC F22A and B series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different hp specs for stock non-VTEC F22A and B series

Firstly I drive a 1993 Honda Accord LX 5spd
    (F22A1...but y'all knew that right?)

So from what I'm seeing on my searches, the only thing that is making the hp/tq specs different on 4th gen SOHC non-VTEC accords is the difference in the intake plenum and the exaust piping? Is this correct?

Again, only talking about the non-vtec sohc f22's. After all they all have the same block and head, other than the intake and exaust is there some other issues that explain the difference (135-150hp) of the engines? Are the ecu's programmed differently?

And is it the same with the sohc VTEC f22B's? Where the only explanation for the difference in hp/tq specs is the different intake and exhaust setups on the different trim packages?

Lastly, are there any SOHC non-VTEC f22's that are not just multiport injection but sequential?

Same question with SOHC VTEC f22's.

I keep seeing vast differences in HP and torque specs for engines that share the same block and same head and I'm thinking I saw on another site that the reason was because of the intake design, exaust design, and ecu programming were all different on different trim models.
    ____

There are 3 F22A engines in the USDM 4th generation Accord (as well as Canada, though their trims have different names...). F22A1 is the weakest, and is found in all 4 years of production.

The F22A4 is the early EX engine, the top of the line for 1990 (1991 saw the F22A6 in the SE model). It has a tubular header that is superior not only to the F22A1's cast piece, but also the cast manifold found on the F22A6. Everything else with the F22A4 is the same as the F22A1.

F22A6 is the best engine found in the US models of the 4th generation. It has an intake manifold with an IAB setup (intake air bypass... dual runners). It has a slightly wilder cam, and a more aggressive ECU tune.

The ECU found in the F22A1 equipped Prelude is known to have a more aggressive tune as well.

None of the 4th generation Accord engines were VTEC.

There are other engines found in Europe, Asia, and Australia that make up to 150hp. 1.8L, 2.0L, and 2.2L... FI and carbureted. I don't believe there are any sequential injection systems... though I'm not an expert on the fuel injection system (I've never had modifications that required an upgrade, so I haven't learned much yet!)

As for the F22B engines... I don't know all that much about them. I know that the F22A heads supposedly flow much better.

The F22B1 (VTEC) makes slightly more power, largely due to the VTEC system. I'm not sure what differences are between the intake and exhaust manifolds, or the ECU (which is most certainly different from the F22B2). The F22B1 VTEC system is for the intake valves only. It is not at all like the VTEC system found on the H22A or B18C. SOHC VTEC is not for performance... at all.

Comment

good info ..deevergote........but damn i want 2 know the spec on a jdm f22

Only Hard Thing is Keeping it Clean
      my ride

Comment

Identical to an F22A6, I believe.

Comment

isnt the Cam from a a6 better than the a1 and a4s?
          I didnt see it in the OP or the following 1's
          Sorry if i missed it.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

Excellent thanks very much!

So from my other searches (much appreciation and props to owequitit for his posts on this) for the full on manifold stock parts swap...I'd want the f22a6 runners, f22a6 or H23 IAB, h23 plenum, H23 TB, pt6 ECU right? Of course a good supply of elbow grease, blinker fluid, some muffler bearings...maybe some wiper blade lubricant, and prolly some vacuum lines ;D

no electrical mods aside from the ecu correct?

Now let's say I take this a littler further, to get the MOST out of all this stock swappage I would also want the f22a6 cam and an f22a4 header true?

As far as ECU's go, I've seen a bunch of different posts...many recommend the pt6 for the plenum swaps and I'll go with that for now for course...I saw someone say use a p12...and for going a bit beyond stock to stock swap, I've seen folks also say a chipped P28 and also a chipped p06...what's the difference I could expect to see here?
            *EDIT* I read another post that said the p06 and p28 are for auto's and have the ecu for the auto incorporated into them...so since I have a 5spd...no bueno*endedit*
            What would be recommended for staying as cheap as possible and would chipping one of these ecu's be worth what it costs...how much is it? Otherwise a stand alone would be key but I don't have 2k+ to drop right now.

Now if I can just find me a couple donor cars...oooo...junk yard trip tomorrow Awe sweet...make that today...it's 2:30 am...I'M CLOSER THAN I THOUGHT!!! Good grief I'm going to have enough trouble finding one of these cars though let alone both...f22a6 (ex model) plus h23...oh man...h23...like I'm never gonna find that...
            *cries a little

So why all the trouble for so little you might ask? Well...idle hands equals...bad news...I'm bored, don't have time or money for h22 power plant swap, let alone turbo or N2O mods...and figure straight bolt on swap like this will keep me happy and not make me too poor Plus I can do a little here...a little there...OR ALL AT ONCE I REALLY HOPE!!!
            Last edited by bcjammerx; 08-18-2007, 04:06 AM.
            ____

Comment

You're absolutely right about the intake manifold swap and mix of parts. The pt6 from the F22A6 would be your best bet. Similarly, the A6 cam and A4 header, as you said, would be the best F22A parts to get. The F22A6 makes 140hp, at least when it was new. Add the F22A4 header, which is better, and the H23 intake manifold (you CAN use the entire thing. You don't need to mix and match with the A6 parts if you don't need to) You could potentially be making 150hp or so at the crank. Over the F22A1, that's possible 15whp. Not a bad gain for inexpensive, easily installed stock parts!

As for the P06 and P28, I'm not sure what you're reading... but you've got ME confused!
              They have nothing to do with autos. In fact, I don't know anyone with an auto that is running a chipped ECU.

The P06 an P28 are both Civic ECUs. The P06 is most commonly used for custom tuning non-VTEC motors, like the F22A and F22B DOHC. Usually used in turbo applications, since mild NA builds (bolt-ons) don't really require much. There really aren't any gains to be had from tuning the ECU of an F22A with bolt-ons. You will gain some gas mileage, perhaps... For turbo applications, it's absolutely necessary.

The P28 is more commonly used for VTEC motors. Most often, the H22. I have one in my car. I'm not sure if I gained any power when it was tuned, but my mpg went way up!

In stock form, these ECUs are useless to us... I've known at least one person to misunderstand the information on them, and simply plug a stock P28 up to his H22. I was shocked he didn't blow up his motor by doing so!

When it comes to ECU tuning, we have quite a few people on here that THINK they know what they're doing... Be careful who's advice you take on the subject. If you want to get into tuning yourself, read EVERYTHING, double check it, and understand everything behind it. Only then can you identify bad information! MRX, Accord R33, bustedlx, and d112crzy are 3 of the more reliable and knowledgeable ECU tuners on here. Their information is usually pretty accurate.

Comment

HA HA...that's why I ask first. Thanks for your help deevergot.

Now I just gotta find those parts
                ____

Comment

The H23 stuff is sometimes tricky to find. The F22A6 and F22A4 stuff is cake, though. Hit any local junkyard and take your pick!

Comment

hello to all.. new here so bear with me.. i just my first cb7.. used to be a civic guy then went the dark road and went DSM but im back to the light now... i got my cb with a snaped cam and have since replaced it with a JDM f22A im just wondering what if any differences there are in this motor over the f22a1-4.. my block id just says f22a.. any help would b great as im starting to get my turbo build together..

Comment

Well I picked up an intake manifold from an f22a6 and a cam as well for about $81...got the egr and water piping too...I pulled the WHOLE intake basically...plus that cam...not sure how badly I got ripped...they would have charged me 81 for just the intake without the cam...but I couldn't find this anywhere else...I almost didn't get it from this place either.

The ECU along with the TB was missing...and that's the only reason they let me take parts off the engine...otherwise they would have considered it a good engine and no parts pulling...only whole motor.

That's the problem I run into a lot where I am...north east texas...no big city places.

Now all I need to get this working is the pt6 ECU and the H23 throttle body/plenum. Good luck on that last one. Hell I'm not so sure about the ECU

I've hit up the classifieds here but no resposes so far...I'll tap that again...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

To answer your question, JohnD1079, yes it is.

And dsmfreaks...your block says JUST f22a? I think that is possible...but I'm not sure...

Try this...on my f22a6 donor engine I could see the f22a very easily but the 6 was a bit oxidized...hock a lugy on there and rub on it for a bit ;P

(this advice could be given for those who have 'other' pent up emotional issues as well...but I won't go there)

or just wipe it off with some water...it's whatever...I had spit available and used it...works good.

There is an EXCELLENT post listing the different cb7 engines...here is a link...check it out...it's actually a sticky in this beginners tech forum

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=44639

IF you still need some help ask around!

Last edited by bcjammerx; 08-18-2007, 06:43 PM.
                      ____

Comment

Originally posted by dsmfreaks
                        hello to all.. new here so bear with me.. i just my first cb7.. used to be a civic guy then went the dark road and went DSM but im back to the light now... i got my cb with a snaped cam and have since replaced it with a JDM f22A im just wondering what if any differences there are in this motor over the f22a1-4.. my block id just says f22a.. any help would b great as im starting to get my turbo build together..
                        As I said in post #4 regarding this same question... I believe it's similar to the F22A6. Pull up the carpet, unbolt the ECU plate, and look for the code on the ECU. If it's a pt6, then it's definitely the same as an A6. If it's a pt3, it's probably a 1-4. Check your exhaust manifold. If it's tubular, then perhaps it's an A4.
                        To my knowledge, most JDM F22As are the A6.

NO JDM motors have a number designation after the code, as the USDM ones do.

bcjammerx, decent find on the parts. The H23 (or H22...) plenum and throttle body won't be TOO hard to find. Maybe put in your sig that you're looking for that stuff. Someone might come across it in a junkyard and grab it for you (best to have over 30 posts before you do, though... buying and selling with less than 30 posts is discouraged)
                        The PT6 ECU should be cake to find. Anyone who is swapping their F22A6 for something else would have one ready to go. They're fairly common in junkyards as well. If I can make it to the junkyard this week, I'll see what I can find. I'll let you know if I can get one for you!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                          MRX, Accord R33, bustedlx, and d112crzy are 3 of the more reliable and knowledgeable ECU tuners on here. Their information is usually pretty accurate.
                          that's 4......

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

*tsk *tsk...
                            *blows rasberry
                            semantics...

awesome...I've got a few places I will be calling Monday...I only got through to one place today, everyone else closed at noon...and I was calling at like 2:30. Man I didn't think I get so stoked about doing stock parts swapping...just nice to be able to do something to my car...and it will actually do some good too.
                            ____

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
                              that's 4......
                              Lol, i was just about to post that.

Comment

Working...
                              X