Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Suspension question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension question

Ok, so. Here's what I came up with.

Say on my cb7 I have all the best suspension gear made for the car, ST front/rear sway bars, coilovers, slotted rotors/brembos, nuespeed front upper strut bar, etc etc...

If you could somehow take those exact mods and put them on another car, say an STi, would it preform the same as the cb7? Or even a civic? A prelude? A del sol?

Forget the power differences and the awd etc, I'm purely talking about the frame/body or w/e it is that would change the way the suspension would work.

If you took two different cars with the exact same mods would they handle the same?

I know if you have a brand of coilovers for one car they would probably be designed differently and handle differently on another car. But theoreticaly if you had the exact same parts and setup on another car would it handle the same?

The only difference would be the frame? Would it make a difference? Of course it would probably be impossible for a cb7's parts to match an STi's parts, even the same brands since the STi's parts are probably made better and are a newer design most likely. But this is just theoretical.

Did I explain that right? lol Tell me if I am just confusing people.

anyone know?

Comment

I don't think you can compare a 90-93 family car to a brand new rally inspired race car. Sure you might get the same 1/4 mile times, after a lot of work to the old honda. But the balance and increased technology on the newer car I'm sure is better.

But I am no chassis expert. Just thinking out loud I suppose.
      Click for my ride thread.

Comment

dude..... no way will it perform the same as a cb7....... different weight/wheel base/height/width/camber/etc. etc......

so to answer your question..... no

Comment

There are all kinds of variables.. Spring rates, wheel/tire sizes, wheel base, gross vehicle weight, chasis design.

Spring rates from one vehicle to another vary greatly, especially from the above mentioned Rally inspired STI or even within the Honda family. Different gross vehicle weights help in determining the specified spring rates.

Different designs in the chasis also will play a big roll in any comparison. There have been big advances in overall chasis design between 1990 and the present day.

Well manufactured accessories/components, like a Neuspeed bar, should provide similar benefits from one chasis to another. Nothing will be exactly the same though. Since I am talking about Neuspeed bars, I dont know if you have looked at the differences in the shapes and mounting points of different model's bars. Where the bar mounts to the chasis is going to play a roll in how effective/noticible the bar is going to be.

Like said above, nothing is going to be exact but, if you use reputable companies and products you should get better then stock handling.

Hopefully this helps a little bit.. Later
          Last edited by MadSpleen85; 08-14-2007, 06:59 PM.

Comment

No.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I guess I could have simplified my question to: "how would two different chasis differ in handling if they had identical setups"?

I know weight/tire size etc would effect that but I am talking theoreticaly, if two different chasis had the same setup would they differ in handling.

Using an STi as an example probably wasn't a good idea. Say I took a 92 preludes frame and my 92 accords frame and built them both the exact same. With all the same parts, would the handling differ?

By your response's I'm going to assume that the handling would differ, and differ extensively on newer cars.

I could go on and on thinking of different scenarios but I think you guys pretty much answered my question.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by MyCord
                Thanks for the info. I guess I could have simplified my question to: "how would two different chasis differ in handling if they had identical setups"?

I know weight/tire size etc would effect that but I am talking theoreticaly, if two different chasis had the same setup would they differ in handling.
                2 different chassis would differ cause they would have diff characteristics.

Using an STi as an example probably wasn't a good idea. Say I took a 92 preludes frame and my 92 accords frame and built them both the exact same. With all the same parts, would the handling differ?
                Then you would have 2 CB7 or prelude chassis, and there is no comparasion.
                Last edited by Bruce Banner; 08-14-2007, 11:45 PM.

Comment

I personally love the way my stock CB handles even compared to my lowered CL which seems like a gotdamn boat sometimes compared to the CB. I think with the right suspension components, a CB could perform pretty damn good, but it would still take a ALOT for it to perform on threshold of all these newer cars that are out now with the same modifications made to those cars.
                  FBP 99 Acura 2.3 CL 5 spd (mods a plenty) Estoril 98 BMW M3 Sedan(under construction)
                  Penn State University '08...better than your school since 1855
                  Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity Incorporated
                  UTI Class of '10, BMW "STEPchild"
                  Acurazine.com Mod Squad

Comment

Working...
                  X