Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Turbo Question!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo Question!!!

I was putting gas in my car and while I was sitting there, this guy next to me ask me about my car. To make a long story short, he said that if I turbo'd it he could make it run 250 to the wheels with stock internals. Is that possible or would I need to upgrade the internals?
    Last edited by DarkRidgeRacer; 08-11-2007, 06:08 AM.
    F22A1 = Now, NA : Soon, Turbo
    My Member's Thread
    Arcadia Green #14

if you want to spend 4,500 to 5,000 on a turbo and then blow your motor within maybe a day... yes run stock internals..... better of building up your f22 with forged pistons and basically do a whole engine rebuild.... then throw in ur turbo and dont run it at 10 pounds to the grocery store and to school or work.... get a boost controller and run it at about 4 psi on daily driving..... when you want to race..... throw up ur boost to 8-10psi and ur set.....

or if you want to be really cool.... haha jk.... go with a h22 and do a complete engine rebuild and throw in a new intake manifold, headers, and if you wnat do a port and polish on the head... stock the h22 is at 200hp... so with a complete rebuild and simple mods ur at 230-240....... then new ecu and chip it and map it and ur at 240-260 hp.... and buy a cheaper h22 block and make sure its got good compression and everything.... and about 3 grand fto 4 grand you will have a new motor..... and transmission are another story all together.....

Comment

they guy offered me $1040 turbo it. That includes custom piping, intercooler, turbo, manifold, boost controller, bov, gauge pods, injectors, and what ever else that is needed to turbo the car.
      My Member's Thread
      Arcadia Green #14

Comment

Originally posted by cb7Choler
        if you want to spend 4,500 to 5,000 on a turbo and then blow your motor within maybe a day... yes run stock internals..... better of building up your f22 with forged pistons and basically do a whole engine rebuild.... then throw in ur turbo and dont run it at 10 pounds to the grocery store and to school or work.... get a boost controller and run it at about 4 psi on daily driving..... when you want to race..... throw up ur boost to 8-10psi and ur set.....

or if you want to be really cool.... haha jk.... go with a h22 and do a complete engine rebuild and throw in a new intake manifold, headers, and if you wnat do a port and polish on the head... stock the h22 is at 200hp... so with a complete rebuild and simple mods ur at 230-240....... then new ecu and chip it and map it and ur at 240-260 hp.... and buy a cheaper h22 block and make sure its got good compression and everything.... and about 3 grand fto 4 grand you will have a new motor..... and transmission are another story all together.....

why would you spend 5000 on a turbo kit? i dont know any1 in here spent that much just to get 250whp, you can get that with a DSM set up on stock internals with a good tune. and your gonna build a f22a with pistons, rods etc why would you only want 8-10lbs? you can run that on stock internals with a good TUNE. AND with a simple mods on h22 wont get you to 240whp haha

Comment

1G for a turbo kit installed is way too good to be true. Id pay 1G IF I had it for a decent setup that I know will fit my car. Talk to the dude tell em you want to see the parts and that your money is in the bank. Make sure the turbo manifold will work by buying a header gasket and mating it to the manifold. If alls well Id buy it in broadday light next to some people I know or something. I would let someone get teh keyes to my car for nothing.

Comment

I can't believe that someone would spend 4-5 K on a turbo setup and not be able to get a good tune included in that price.

DarkRidgeRacer, it's possible but not very realistic. If you r going with a stock F22A that makes 125 out of the factory, It's a HUGE challenge to get 250 on a turbo alone. Now if you got a F22B which makes 160, it's a bit more possible, but still a challenge.

If your really interested in going into a turbocharger setup. Don't go on what people next to you at the gas station suggest. Do some personal research and take your time in choosing everything you want to do to your car. It's important to understand why you'll get more power instead of just slapping stuff on to go fast (not saying you don't already).
            Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

Originally posted by 10thcb7
              1G for a turbo kit installed is way too good to be true. Id pay 1G IF I had it for a decent setup that I know will fit my car. Talk to the dude tell em you want to see the parts and that your money is in the bank. Make sure the turbo manifold will work by buying a header gasket and mating it to the manifold. If alls well Id buy it in broadday light next to some people I know or something. I would let someone get teh keyes to my car for nothing.

ive done it twice

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamW
                I can't believe that someone would spend 4-5 K on a turbo setup and not be able to get a good tune included in that price.

DarkRidgeRacer, it's possible but not very realistic. If you r going with a stock F22A that makes 125 out of the factory, It's a HUGE challenge to get 250 on a turbo alone. Now if you got a F22B which makes 160, it's a bit more possible, but still a challenge.

If your really interested in going into a turbocharger setup. Don't go on what people next to you at the gas station suggest. Do some personal research and take your time in choosing everything you want to do to your car. It's important to understand why you'll get more power instead of just slapping stuff on to go fast (not saying you don't already).
                you do know that a 14b on an f22 at 10psi makes more than 250.......

It's not hard, at all.

And if you can't find a dsm setup for less than 1g, you're not looking hard enough.

If you need someone to install it for you, then you shouldn't turbo your car. It requires a lot of maintenance to keep it in tip top shape.

250whp is more than possible with stock internals, especially on a good tune.

How long it lasts depends on the condition of the engine and how you maintain it, as well as how well it was tuned.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

It's just what I've read. I'm still in the process of installing a turbo on my car, so I have no experience with actual number outputs. Thankfully there are guys out here (such as yourself) with the experience that some don't have. Sorry for the wrong information everyone.
                  Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

tuning is everything. who cares if you get a peak of 250hp when everywhere else on the curve the highest is 200. anyway. peak power is not everything a smooth torque and hp curve is what you want.

and just for the record torque is better than hp.
                    word...

Comment

With a properly sized turbo (14b is actually too small for the F22) and good tuning, you can be safe for a while. You may be safe for a very long time. You may blow in a week.
                      Remember, you are boosting a motor with many miles on it. The motor is at least 14 years old. You probably aren't the original owner, so you don't know the complete maintenance history of the motor. You are asking these questions, so you definitely don't have an intimate knowledge of your motor...
                      Even a good turbo with a perfect tune will cause a motor to fail if it's already on the way out. If your motor would fail in 15,000 more miles due to normal wear or improper maintenance, you can probably count on turbo at least cutting that life expectancy in half.

WilliamW, as d112crzy has said, making 250whp with a turbo on the F22 is cake. 300whp is even doable on stock internals (you're pushing it then... but not difficult with the right equipment). A DSM turbo kit can be built for well under $1000... I know, I've done it. However, finding a GOOD turbo of the proper size (t3/t4, which would require a new flange on the manifold, or a "big" 16g from an older Evo) raises the cost considerably. The commonly used 14b works, but it is fairly small. Small means more heat. Heat destroys engines.

You are absolutely correct in your advice to research. Knowledgeable people can spew facts (or lies) and it won't mean a thing unless the person asking the questions actually knows what it all means. Reading a few good books will certainly help: www.cb7tuner.com/bookstore.htm

cb7Choler, please learn a thing or two before you act as if you know it all... 10psi on a stock F22 in good condition is common, and doable. The power made is decent. With forged internals, the F22A can be boosted WELL over 10psi. I've seen a built and boosted F22A powered CB7 run mid-11s without being fully tuned (the guy was tuning it at the time).

As for building an NA H22, 240whp is NOT easy to achieve without spending a good deal of money. For power production, or even reliability, NA isn't the best choice. Those who go NA do it for the love of the challenge. They do it for the Honda purity factor.

$10,000 in a turbo F22A could potentially make 500+whp. $10,000 in an NA H22 would make about 250whp... a number that can be achieved with about $2000 worth of quality turbo parts and tuning. (I argue this, and I am currently building an NA H22)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                        You are absolutely correct in your advice to research. Knowledgeable people can spew facts (or lies) and it won't mean a thing unless the person asking the questions actually knows what it all means. Reading a few good books will certainly help: www.cb7tuner.com/bookstore.htm

cb7Choler, please learn a thing or two before you act as if you know it all... 10psi on a stock F22 in good condition is common, and doable. The power made is decent. With forged internals, the F22A can be boosted WELL over 10psi. I've seen a built and boosted F22A powered CB7 run mid-11s without being fully tuned (the guy was tuning it at the time).

As for building an NA H22, 240whp is NOT easy to achieve without spending a good deal of money. For power production, or even reliability, NA isn't the best choice. Those who go NA do it for the love of the challenge. They do it for the Honda purity factor.

$10,000 in a turbo F22A could potentially make 500+whp. $10,000 in an NA H22 would make about 250whp... a number that can be achieved with about $2000 worth of quality turbo parts and tuning. (I argue this, and I am currently building an NA H22)
                        thank you well said.
                        word...

Comment

Thanks for the info!!! I'll keep most of this in mind when I'm going to turbo it.
                          My Member's Thread
                          Arcadia Green #14

Comment

what up peoples. have a question and would like an opinion on it im debating on weather getting a supercharger or a turbo.im leaning more towards the the supercharger the rotorex from jackson racing. but u here a turbo is better for power but i also heard that h22's over heat to much with turbos? with a supercharger i think you would get more torque off the line and i dont think you really need that much power at top end because the h dose that nicely already. so my question is turbo or supercharger which is better and why?
                            My 92 accord

Comment

It all comes down to your drive style IMO.. do you want power right off idle and kinda cool engine whine? or the sweet sweet whistle of that turbo starting to spool at XXXXrpm but not idle and the pop of a good BOV !! Ive drivin 2 civic's in the past both with B16 swap one SC and the other turbo they were both fast cars but just in different ways the SC pulled like a mofo off the line while the civic was just a b16 till about 3800rpms once the turbo spooled it was just as fast if not faster the SC

Comment

Working...
                              X