Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Questions about picking a Clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about picking a Clutch

This is for my 1999 prelude but the answers should be the same for an h22 accord.

Quick Couple Of Questions:

1) My throw-out bearing is bad, so im going to replace the clutch while im at it. When I buy a clutch does it come with a throwout bearing, or are they sold seperately?

2) Everyone says that I should get a lightweight flywheel, When I get a clutch does it come with a specific flywheel for that clutch or are they interchangeable?

3) Whats a resonable price to pay just for the parts? I dont need anything special, my car will never see boost, Its a daily driver and a weekend warrior. My main concern would be reliability. What are some recommendations as far as brands, and models.

4) Is the clutch like any regular part, where I could walk into my local auto parts store and get one?

5) Is there anything else that I should change while I have the tranny out?

THanks alot guys.

1.most the time clutch kits come with throw-out bearings...but i suggest using a genuine honda throw out bearing...cause i have heard of shitty after market ones going bad

2. Lightened flywheel is a nice lil upgrade you can do while you have the access to it during the clutch job.Fidanza and act are 2 pretty reputable companies.you can use any lightened flywheel as long as its for an f/h series tranny

3. alotta people on the site use xtd clutches sold on ebay and say that they are pretty good and they are cheap.....act is good but expensive more than double the $ of an xtd.....take a look on ebay

4 you can get a clutch at any local auto parts store...but dont buy some crap clutch cause its not sumtin u wanna do twice

5.thats bout it...clutch disc...pressure plate....flywheel ...throw out bearing....change the tranny fluid if it hasn't been changed in a while...use that honda mtf.
    My Members Ride Thread

Comment

What do you do on the weekends. Flywheels Look into ACT since they are the only ones that I recall of that actually have timing marks on their flywheels. Another thing when picking a clutch is power goals and what you are going to use it for. Since its just the weekend i would say stage 1-2 ACT would work. XTD is a good company I run a stage 3 for my setup with OEM h22A flywheel. Grabs like i want to and such. But if your willing to shell out the money ACT would be your best bet. I dont recommend any local clutch dealers (autozone/oreillys etc) unless you plan on not beatin it up. ALSO ALWAYS USE HONDA OEM TO BEARING even though the kit contains one. I say this because if you put a Honda bearing next to the one in the kit you will see a big diff. But thats if your willing to shell out the money again as mentioned.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Im not looking to spend a lot of money, im not building a race-car. I just figured if I have to replace the clutch might-as-well upgrade but if its alot more cash to upgrade then Im fine with stock level.

Is XTD and Exedy the same company?

If I wanted to get a new OEM clutch, where would I be able to find one?

What the weight of a stock flywheel?

IS this a good deal...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY...QQcmdZViewItem
        Last edited by T3aM 83rD; 07-23-2007, 07:13 PM.

Comment

looking for just a good clutch then just buy a stock oem... you dont want a stage 3 clutch if your just drving it around normally all day... you going to have a shop do it or you doing it yourself? stock flywheel is about 13lb lightweight ones are about 7-8lbs id change the polit bearing as well

Please, Leave me some feeedback on my ride ^CLICK ^CLICK ^CLICK
          Originally posted by deevergote.
          But Honda guys know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING! If you don't believe that, then you're just wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by accord2nr81
            looking for just a good clutch then just buy a stock oem... you dont want a stage 3 clutch if your just drving it around normally all day... you going to have a shop do it or you doing it yourself? stock flywheel is about 13lb lightweight ones are about 7-8lbs id change the polit bearing as well
            You sure the flywheel is 13 pounds i had the hardest time in the world trying to get it in place to bolt it up to the crank and im not weak at all?

Comment

well last time i put a clutch in mine it was 13lb and then i put it on the layth and took it down to 7lb so i dunno mine might have just been wore down quite a bit... had 200,000 on it when i put a clutch in

Please, Leave me some feeedback on my ride ^CLICK ^CLICK ^CLICK
              Originally posted by deevergote.
              But Honda guys know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING! If you don't believe that, then you're just wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by accord2nr81
                well last time i put a clutch in mine it was 13lb and then i put it on the layth and took it down to 7lb so i dunno mine might have just been wore down quite a bit... had 200,000 on it when i put a clutch in
                I call BS on this...13lbs to 7lbs oem flywheel via lathe??? You just raped the structure/strength of the stock flywheel but stock flywheels weigh more towards 16-19lbs. CPmike has the exact weight somewhere but I know for sure OEM is not 13lbs.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

yea i read that too i think it was cpMike when he put the Euro-R flywheel on.

Comment

Could I run a stock clutch with a lightweight flywheel?

Comment

yes.

Also, get an OEM throw out bearing. The ones that come in clutch kits usually fail after a few thousand miles.

If you're not looking for something for performance, then I'd just stick to OEM clutch disk.

I'd stay away from XTD. Mine looked like shit when I took it apart a few months ago. And it had less than 30k miles on it.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
                        yes.

Also, get an OEM throw out bearing. The ones that come in clutch kits usually fail after a few thousand miles.

If you're not looking for something for performance, then I'd just stick to OEM clutch disk.

I'd stay away from XTD. Mine looked like shit when I took it apart a few months ago. And it had less than 30k miles on it.
                        Bahaha I cant wait to take mine off =D. OH YEA lol but you didnt break your shit in though as I recall haha you just ragged on it first time you install.

The New-ish Ride
                        My old Ride
                        Hear my Vtak!!!
                        MK3 Member #3
                        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Thoughts on ... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm reading mixed reviews on the aluminum flywheel, people say that it might warp, other people love it.

I could get the same clutch with a XTD or F1 chromoly flywheel for a similar price but I think the Fidanza is better, not sure about the aluminum yet.

Comment

That's a good deal. Install the flywheel correctly and it'll be fine. Fidanza is one of the best names in the business. Exedy also makes OEM Honda clutches, so they're fantastic as well.

If you get a flywheel with no timing marks, be sure to mark it before it goes on. You can line up the bolt holes on your stock flywheel to get the position correct, then just carve it in there. Be as exact as possible. Without the timing marks, your ignition timing will never be right. I didn't mark mine, and I have to pull the whole thing apart to do it now! Thankfully I marked my dizzy, at least!

Comment

the oem flywheel weighs over 20lbs. I have 3 here at my house I will weigh one this afternoon
                              either kill it or drift it...

2002 Toyota Tundra V8

Comment

Working...
                              X