Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

What should i do go turbo or H22 it up?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should i do go turbo or H22 it up?????

OK I want to know should I just turbo my F22 or just get a H22. People tell me the f22 has a good flowing head and puting a turbo on it is probabley my best bet. But I know if you go turbo you have to put some money into the motor for it to last. I'm not trying to build a 10 sec. car but i want to be able to whoop up on people and i think about 210-220 horsepower to the wheels is enough for me. So would it be hard to get the H22 in that range or would it be easier to turbo the f22. In my heart i really want the H22

From my knowledge the F22's are pretty solid engines once you build them up a little bit but if you go turbo you should know or be prepared to learn about boost so as not to blow up your poor little car. H22's will put down about 190hp stock to the wheels I believe or somewhere close to that.
    It breaks down to how much work you want to put into it, how much money you wanna spend, and what kinda power you wanna make. Good luck.

Comment

NA build the F22.. Later

Comment

Originally posted by MadSpleen85
        NA build the F22.. Later
        Why? whouldn't be better to build the H22

Comment

1. Your budget
          2. Do you know anything about boosted cars
          3. What are the plans with the car
          4. Search in the Fi section.

This question has been asked multiple times. Go look in the FI section and see if your comfortable with boost if not then you have other alternatives. 200-210 at the wheels is not hard to achieve with an h22a its just gonna cost you more than the f22a.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Yeah, NA F22 at 210-220whp... definitely possible, but not cheap, and not for a beginner.

The H22 can get in that range with good bolt-ons... Of course, those things aren't cheap. Turbo would be easier to reach your power goals, but as you said, building the motor so it will last would be a good idea.

Done right, neither will be extremely cheap. The H22 makes good power right off the bat, and you won't have to worry about blowing a stock turbo engine. You can have 165-170whp to start, and add things like a good header (Bisimoto is what I'm planning on), a bigger throttle body, a good cam, a nice exhaust system, an ECU tune... That stuff there will probably cost as much as, or more than, the H22 itself... BUT, you'll be close to your range if you do it right.

If you go turbo, you COULD boost the stock engine. Many have done it, and F22s are pretty cheap and easy to find if you do blow it. Still, doing it RIGHT costs money. The DSM setup won't fly for a good turbo setup, so you'd want to get a real manifold, a properly sized turbo, proper exhaust, and an ECU tune is absolutely necessary (dyno tuning it is best, street tuning can be alright if you know someone that knows their stuff... it's a risk, though). Upgrading the internals is a very good idea if you want it to last. If you shop smart, that could cost you around the same as the H22 I mentioned above. That would still be a mild turbo setup, but it would probably exceed your goals. 250whp minimum, I would say.

Which is better? It's hard to say. For 210-220 whp, either is good. Expect to shell out about $6,000, maybe more, by the end of the project.
            The turbo will give you better peak power, but you'd be wise to do everything at once... You can't really do one piece at a time with a turbo!
            The H22 will be a more gradual build. You can slap on a header, and 2 months later drop in some cams. Tuning the ECU won't be absolutely necessary with the NA H22, but the car will run MUCH better after you do. You'll have more power, better fuel economy, and a healthier engine.

So, in the end, it's up to you. Both are good options, done correctly. Halfass anything, and they both suck.

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
              1. Your budget
              2. Do you know anything about boosted cars
              3. What are the plans with the car
              4. Search in the Fi section.

This question has been asked multiple times. Go look in the FI section and see if your comfortable with boost if not then you have other alternatives. 200-210 at the wheels is not hard to achieve with an h22a its just gonna cost you more than the f22a.
              His question is a bit more focused, since he has power goals in mind. Not simply "which is better?" I can appreciate a question like this. It's the people that have no idea what they want that bother me!

Comment

Originally posted by DTaccords85
                Why? whouldn't be better to build the H22
                The F22A has a lot of potential Search around for Bisi Ezerioha, Bisimoto on the board here. He's running a carbureted F22, HEAVILY modified, making about 400hp... NA. He runs high to mid 9s with that engine in a race-prepped Insight. He's the fastest FWD Honda, I believe (there was another guy that was neck and neck with him, last I heard).

However, while the F22 is a great base, it's not a project for anyone that doesn't want to get balls deep in it. The head flows well, the block is solid. Bisimoto's aftermarket parts are making it easy to build it up... but for your modreate goals, there's no need to start with an engine that makes 100hp less than you want! It's like saying "I could take the elevator to the 50th floor, and then take the stairs to the 70th floor... but hell, why not just walk the whole way!"

Comment

triple post ban for deevergote!!!!

OP- if you know enough about boost and turbos and what it will all do to your car, then hell, go for turbo. BUT no from the beginning that it will be a long, expensive haul from day 1.
                  "This truck is 100% sh*ts and giggles."
                  "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

You're not JDM until you have a car built in ohio with tons of bolt ons from ebay.
                  Disregard females, acquire currency
                  BUS 62 AIN'T F'ING AROUND!

Comment

It's not a triple post... those are 3 separate posts Conversations have a tendency to progress quite quickly while I write my novels

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                      Yeah, NA F22 at 210-220whp... definitely possible, but not cheap, and not for a beginner.

If you go turbo, you COULD boost the stock engine. Many have done it, and F22s are pretty cheap and easy to find if you do blow it. Still, doing it RIGHT costs money. The DSM setup won't fly for a good turbo setup, so you'd want to get a real manifold, a properly sized turbo, proper exhaust, and an ECU tune is absolutely necessary (dyno tuning it is best, street tuning can be alright if you know someone that knows their stuff... it's a risk, though). Upgrading the internals is a very good idea if you want it to last. If you shop smart, that could cost you around the same as the H22 I mentioned above. That would still be a mild turbo setup, but it would probably exceed your goals. 250whp minimum, I would say..
                      My question to you is what would be a great exhaust for a turbo setup? Like could I just goto my local shop and ask them to hook me up with an exhaust that would be good for a turbo setup.
                      Leaving the game!

Comment

3" mandrel bent piping would be ideal. With a free flowing muffler with a 3" inlet.

Comment

Thanks alot everybody I think i made up my mind. I'm just get the H22 and try not to be cheap and get good quilty parts. Such as Cams, good exhaust, header, getting it tuned, everything you all said. But you know what i really what to do is ( it might sound crazy to some but i don't care) get a F20 of the S2K and convert my car to RWD. I think that would real nice a RWD CB7 i can see it now.

Comment

IT all depends how much power u want and how much u willing to spend.TO get really good power gains. U have to spend the money, theres no way to get around that.

Members Ride thread

Comment

Originally posted by DTaccords85
                              Thanks alot everybody I think i made up my mind. I'm just get the H22 and try not to be cheap and get good quilty parts. Such as Cams, good exhaust, header, getting it tuned, everything you all said. But you know what i really what to do is ( it might sound crazy to some but i don't care) get a F20 of the S2K and convert my car to RWD. I think that would real nice a RWD CB7 i can see it now.
                              It's been done, but the guy that did it was never on this site, sadly. I want to do that too!

I would estimate that it would probably cost MORE than an S2K to pull it off... but it'd be worth it to me!

Comment

Working...
                              X