Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

engine studder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine studder

OK, so I'm getting a studder while accelerating generally in third gear but it is happening throughout the range except in idle. It just loses a bunch of power but doesn't ever stop. It does a lurching motion and if I let off the gas and then put it back down it seems to go for a bit. It always starts just fine.

This being said the following have all just been done in an attempt to fix it. Coil, Plugs, cap, rotar, valve adjust, fuel filter, clean throtle body.

I did get the engine light twice for two minutes last week but nothing lately.

What do I have here? Please help.

My girlfriends 96 accord started to do that, but the check engine light also came on. I found that it was just a misfire, You would start to accelerate, then it would kina sputter and loose power. i changer the cap, rotor, wire, plugs, egr. Nothing fixed it.Turns out it was the EGR rail itself. it just got cloged. 2 hours later and it ran like new.hope that helps..

Comment

Oh yeah, if your engine light flashes, its most likely a missfire

Comment

Is the "rail" the same as the valve or am I off?

how did you unclog it? Or did you just go for a new one?

Comment

i THINK THERE WAS A DIY on how to unclog the egr ports. not sure though. anyways, at light throttle if you feel a slight bog, then it may be you ports and your egr valve. get another opinion though. good luck.
          The beginning of a new era............................
          165 hp 149 ft. lb. torque sohc non vtec. then....
          184 whp and 149 ft. lb. torque f20b stock now......

Comment

the "Rail" is what the egr bolts on to.I just use screwdriver and kind of gentile touch to scrape off the carbon build-up. then a small wire brush to get as much as i could. Yeah dayaaj has a good point, get a second opinion befor you dig into it. I had to get it diagnosed befor i had a clue to look at the rail

Comment

Originally posted by AllWhiteCoupe
              the "Rail" is what the egr bolts on to.I just use screwdriver and kind of gentile touch to scrape off the carbon build-up. then a small wire brush to get as much as i could. Yeah dayaaj has a good point, get a second opinion befor you dig into it. I had to get it diagnosed befor i had a clue to look at the rail
              ....The EGR bolts onto the intake manifold... Anyway a CEL doesnt always mean misfire...OBD2 cars have that code because they are more sensitive. OBD1 dont have a misfire code as I recall. Anyway you can feel the misfire so it doesnt matter. Clean out the ports has hondaay said. That will cause a low rpm bog or studder. Clean it out with carb cleaner and an unused brush/wire brush whatever and let us know how it goes. (i used a dremel for mine.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              I piss off people for fun.
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

So did you clean out each of the ports on the rail or just at the valve itself?

You use a vacuum to extract the debris?

Comment

The ports are NOT on a rail. The only rail there is the fuel rail and a plastic clip deal behind it holding in the wiring. THE EGR AND PORTS ITSELF ARE ON THE INTAKE MANIFOLD. You use carb cleaner and a brush. The debris will burn off in the combustion chamber.

The New-ish Ride
                  My old Ride
                  Hear my Vtak!!!
                  MK3 Member #3
                  IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

to tell you honostly, I believe you have to drill out the four openings and Honda sells a kit for the hole to be blocked off after you clean it. correct me if I am wrong guys.

Comment

Honda sells the kit but you dont have to drill it all the way out. Honda has the bit in the kit. You just need the slide hammer to pull it out. Its better to reuse the ones you got honestly. Just drill it in a bit take a slide hammer and pop them out.

The New-ish Ride
                      My old Ride
                      Hear my Vtak!!!
                      MK3 Member #3
                      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                        Honda sells the kit but you dont have to drill it all the way out. Honda has the bit in the kit. You just need the slide hammer to pull it out. Its better to reuse the ones you got honestly. Just drill it in a bit take a slide hammer and pop them out.
                        there you go, slide hammer it out.

Comment

It wierd how youll have a problem and you just come onto the site and get some answers. Maybe. Its like midnight, but im gonna go out there and try cleaning that rail. I replaced the valve, actually ive replaced tons of crap. Im sick of nickel and diming this thing to death. I havent broke down and taken it to a stealership....yet

Comment

why take it to a dealership when you have us?? there are many honda techs and people that work in parts dep. who goes on this forum like me for example. also, there are many members out there that are not honda techs and knows a lot about our cars. good luck though.

Comment

never resort going to a dealership. you are just admitting defeat. dont let the cb7 hate. love it love it and it will eventually comeback. always come to everyone here. a lot of people are very knowledgeable and some are not. but by your car trouble the experienced ones can help and the less experienced ones can learn.

i learn way too much.
                              word...

Comment

Working...
                              X