Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

v6 in 4th gen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats right the s2000 i forgot about that. anyway. im off to do some research and junk yard hunting.
    Hey yo uhhhhhh fry man!!!!

Comment

1) You are all over the map. One second it is a C27, and the next it is a J32. Lack of focus will make a project like this far more expensive, and far more difficult. Maybe even impossible.

2) Please, please, please read the thread posted above. Most of what you are going to need to know is already covered in that thread.

I will summarize:

A) The J series is more common than the C series. Why? Because it has powered every V6 Honda vehicle with the exception of the RL and NSX since 1999. Millions have been built.

B) The Jseries is SMALLER AND LIGHTER than the C series. They have a more compact V angle, a smaller valve train, the same all aluminum construction, and a generally more compact design.

A J series with manifolds on it is smaller than an F22 with manifolds on it. It only weighs slightly more.

C) Not all C series V6's are the same. The first gen Legend and the C27 from the Accord are substantially different than the C32 in the Legend. The NSX is pretty much its own engine.

The reason this is important, is that the 3.2 in the 2nd gen Legend was mounted longitudinally, like a rear drive car. THe transmission hung off the engine like a RWD car, and the drive shafts sprouted out the sides, as opposed to out the end where it would have driven the rear wheels easily.

This will make it pretty much impossible to use the 2nd gen Legend tranny and engine.

D) The C series Accord V6 probably had different frame rail brackets, just like the 6th and 7th gen Accords do. So most likely you are going to have to fabricate these anyway.

E) The C27 will not provide a large increase in acceleration over an F22 with bolt ons, if any.

F) The J series already has a FWD 6 speed manual tranny that fits all of the J series engines. It is also more common than the Legend manual trannies, and is available with LSD.
      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Coming from a man that has researched it

The only downside to the J series is the initial cost (though you will get a better motor, in most cases) The C27 would be very cheap, since it's such an old engine.

However, you are absolutely right about it being a minimal upgrade. It's only .5L bigger in terms of displacement. It's heavier, and the aftermarket support is most likely more limited than the F22 aftermarket. The ONLY reason for doing it with a C27 would be just to have a V6 in a CB7. If you had the tools, supplies, abilities, and facilities to do all the fabrication yourself, the C27 swap would be reasonably inexpensive.

Off Topic:
        I wonder if the s2000 transmission could somehow be mounted to the C32 in the 2nd gen Legend... then have a modified driveshaft running back to the S2k differential, running custom axles. Think the Legend could be made RWD relatively easily? (I know it's probably VERY involved... and for all I know, the motor turns the wrong way... since I know nothing about the Legend)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
          Coming from a man that has researched it

The only downside to the J series is the initial cost (though you will get a better motor, in most cases) The C27 would be very cheap, since it's such an old engine.

However, you are absolutely right about it being a minimal upgrade. It's only .5L bigger in terms of displacement. It's heavier, and the aftermarket support is most likely more limited than the F22 aftermarket. The ONLY reason for doing it with a C27 would be just to have a V6 in a CB7. If you had the tools, supplies, abilities, and facilities to do all the fabrication yourself, the C27 swap would be reasonably inexpensive.

Off Topic:
          I wonder if the s2000 transmission could somehow be mounted to the C32 in the 2nd gen Legend... then have a modified driveshaft running back to the S2k differential, running custom axles. Think the Legend could be made RWD relatively easily? (I know it's probably VERY involved... and for all I know, the motor turns the wrong way... since I know nothing about the Legend)
          The C27 could work, but for the extra couple hundred bucks, I would go J series just because of the potential after stock, and for the LSD 6 speed manual.

You are starting with AT LEAST a 30HP advantage, and around 30 lb/ft of torque too.

Plus, in the 5th gen, the V6 was only a couple 10ths faster than the 4 cylinder. It did have some extra features, but it would most certainly lose to an H22.

For the amount of effort involved, my opinion is that it wouldn't be worth it unless the performance potential is there.

Just saying I have a V6 to me isn't worth it when the H22 can offer so much more right out of the box.

With a 286HP J35 that puts out about 256WHP, and 235 WTQ with an LSD, the potential is there. With 170CHP and ~ 170CTQ it really isn't. At least not as much.

Then it is fairly easy to get an additional 30-40 WHP out of a J series with good flowing bolt ons, and EMS. So you could be looking at somewhere between 280-300 WHP without ever cracking a valve cover open.

Obviously, there are other J series options that would be more affordable, and you can pretty much mix and match to make any J similar to any other J, but at least the potential is there.

Plus, the lighterweight makes them weigh almost exactly the same as an H22, so you could get it without having a hugely nose heavy car.

The other advantage is servicability. The J has longer maintenance intervals, and is easier to work on when it needs them. The old C series still had a lot of add on components like the CB7 does, and the valvetrain would be a bitch to get to, with the way the V angle is 90 degrees (as opposed to 60) and the complex layout of the valvetrain.

I believe the C series would be slightly wider than an F22 with manifolds on, because the J series is smaller than the C, and it is JUST BARELY smaller than the F with manifolds on it.

Also, apparently, in regards to your Legend question... The take off yoke for a rear driveshaft is already inside the tranny apparently. You would need to modify the end housing, and then fabricate it all up.

I was also told that the rear subframe was pretty much designed to support a rear diff, so it would appear that Honda either had plans to make the Legend AWD, or they at least wanted the capability to do so.

Honestly, based on a good Acura source I have, he said it wouldn't have been at all difficult to achieve AWD.

And Honda was playing around with AWD at that time.

THAT would be a fun car.

Also, here is a good idea for someone. Get the J35 with SH-AWD in a CB7 and see what happens.

That would be a mean CB7.

Spoon/Opak Racing has a current gen RL, that they road race. After they stripped it down and took all the luxury out, it weighs about 2900lbs, and with the bolt ons is putting out about 330HP. The engine has like an exhaust and intake.

Think about a similar weight CB7, and you get the idea.

Plus with SH-AWD, there are no real "chassis limits" like there would be with FWD, AND you really are only limited by the SH-AWD powertrains ability to absorb power.

TT 500 HP is just some modification away. LOL!

Some of which would be modifying the chassis for sure, but still.

One selling point in the future for the 7th gen Accord and the TL, is that apparently it bolts into those chassis with little diffculty. Those are the cars Honda tested it on.

Don't know how true that is, but the rumor mill has suggested it, so it is certainly something to consider, and with the similarity of the cars on that platform, it would make sense.
          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

ok check it were way off track here guys. alot of really good info coming in but lets get back to the matter at hand. so far im looking at the options of a c27 and a j30 from what i can understand you guys agree that a j30 would be the best way to go for power and everyday use. but for cheaper a c series. im gonna do some more price research and ill get back to you.

Comment

$895 for a j30 3litre 98-2003 is that the year. and the trans to the same model? looking at price hold please..........k i cant find a manual just auto.

Comment

u can do franks between the j series too. the possibilities are endless lol

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
                  Also, here is a good idea for someone. Get the J35 with SH-AWD in a CB7 and see what happens.

That would be a mean CB7.

Spoon/Opak Racing has a current gen RL, that they road race. After they stripped it down and took all the luxury out, it weighs about 2900lbs, and with the bolt ons is putting out about 330HP. The engine has like an exhaust and intake.

Think about a similar weight CB7, and you get the idea.

Plus with SH-AWD, there are no real "chassis limits" like there would be with FWD, AND you really are only limited by the SH-AWD powertrains ability to absorb power.

TT 500 HP is just some modification away. LOL!
                  /drool yea too bad the sh-awd tranny probably costs an arm and a leg :

Comment

Working...
                  X