Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Ram air / Cold air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ram air / Cold air

Hey,
    I have a cheap short ram intake. I was thinking about upgrading to a propper cold air by... aem, whoever. I've noticed that my short ram has been pitted and it has marks on it like a cable has been rubbing against it. Overall... it'd be impossible to make it look nice.

I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems with the more expencive setups? Are they better material i wonder?
    I dont want to buy a $150 cold air intake and have it pitted and marked up in no time >:C

Thanks
    My Car
    FREE Web hosting solutions

im pretty sure the problem you have with the intake getting rubbed against is from the ABS unit. someone on here said that happens when you put an aftermarket intake on.

about the CAI, it all depends on what you want to do. the AEM ones are REALLY expensive. plus you have to be careful with water when you have a CAI since it goes down into the fender. if you live in a place where it rains a lot, i would advise against getting the CAI because it can suck up water and hydrolock your engine. hydrolock = expensive.
    Originally posted by deevergote.
    And please, for the love of God, type like a human being!

Comment

They make a bypass valve for CAI to help the hydrolock in cold air intake those are for the two parts not the whole unit. If you have the money go for it. Personally I dont see the point in spending that much money. If you look in my MR thread and look at my engine pic you will see my custom taping job from intake rubbing on ABS module.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I've read threads all over the internet and car forums, and for myself, I've come to the conclusion that AEM or any other expensive brand of cold air intake is not worth it. The difference between the ebay piping and expensive brand piping is minimal. It's just aluminum piping. The filter is what makes more of a difference. Maybe if I was running some super expensive engine setup I'd feel differently.

As for hydrolock, I think people are more careful about it than they need to be. I live in New England, it rains, it snows, etc etc etc. You need to get that pipe IN the puddle. It has to be some mammoth puddle. The pipe has to be submerged enough so that the vacuum sucks up water instead of air. Which is probably only going to occur if you have more than half the filter in the water if not completely. Driving during a down pour or splashing through regular puddles on the road is not going to put you in danger of hydrolock.

Of course, that's only how I feel about the subject and I thought I would share.

Comment

Originally posted by 91 EX-R
          im pretty sure the problem you have with the intake getting rubbed against is from the ABS unit. someone on here said that happens when you put an aftermarket intake on.

about the CAI, it all depends on what you want to do. the AEM ones are REALLY expensive. plus you have to be careful with water when you have a CAI since it goes down into the fender. if you live in a place where it rains a lot, i would advise against getting the CAI because it can suck up water and hydrolock your engine. hydrolock = expensive.
          I dont have abs... It looks like the cable comes from the throttle body and down to the auto-tranny... i'm trying to remember exactly. I'm pretty sure thats the one thats causing it.
          My Car

Comment

maybe i'll paint it.

Interesting thoughts on hydrolock. Do you think CAI > short ram? if so by how much? worth the risk? o.O
            My Car

Comment

i wanted to use my short intake and cut a hole on the hood with a roof hood cuz they r smaller than hood scoops, and have the col air RAM rite into the filter and make like a lil box around the intake filter.
              **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
              Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
              Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Working...
              X