Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Reliable? Good MPG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reliable? Good MPG?

I've been a fan of the 90-93 body style Accords for many years but have never owned one. My girlfriend's old car was a '91 EX sedan green with tan interior, she now has an '03 coupe. I'm thinking about buying the '91 from her because I would like to have something that gets me a little better MPG for my commute to school and back for the next couple of years.

The car has a somewhere around 130-140k on it and is in pretty decent shape, especially considering others I've seen for sale on the internet. It's an automatic, I'd much rather have a 5 speed but it seems as if they are not as common and easy to find as the autos...so I could probably settle for that as long as it still gets good MPG.

My questions really, are just regarding reliability of these cars. Are they reliable for day to day driving? Or will I be throwing money into it for repairs left and right? Do they get good MPG with the automatic? I've read on here of 25-29mpg but no mention of 5speed or automatic.

Are there any specific problem areas that are most common I should look out for?

Thanks...
    Last edited by cwd240z; 05-25-2007, 06:09 PM.
    -Chris

these cars are great daily drivers. the most common problems/maintenance areas i would look for are:

1) look into getting a timing belt job done since you are past 100k (if not done previously). especially keep an eye on the balance shaft seal, since it tends to "walk out" on higher mileage and could cause major damage
    2) Be sure the transmission has been cared for, and swap in some new Honda Automatic Transmission fluid; the tranny doesnt seem to like any other brand
    3) The main relay is an easy fix if the car seems to "not start" in hot conditions. If you can solder, you'll be fine.
    4) The ignitor in the distributor tends to act funny at higher mileage as well, but I dont see that as being a problem with 140k.
    5) If you get a flashing "s" light on the dash, the Transmission Control Unit tends to go out, but you can find those relatively cheap on this forum.
    6) If you are getting oil on the spark plugs, the lower tube seals should be replaced, which are really cheap at honda, and will fix that problem.

With some common maintenance and tune ups, the F22 motor in the 90-93 accord will last a long time. This is one of the strongest motors I've seen around that are reliable. Plus parts are very common at junk yards which means they are very cheap. A CB7 is a great investment for someone who needs a reliable car to simply get around. My car had 210k before it even saw a minor problem, and thats a very common benchmark for mileage. With proper care, you can see 300k easy. My other stock CB7 gets close to 500 miles a tank on the hwy.

*btw, if you do need any help doing these small maintence items, Cb7tuner.com has great DIY's for those who need a lil push while doin the job.

welcome to Cb7tuner!

Formerly 91AccordExR33
    11.68 @ 127mph
    417whp/375wtq
    Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Working...
    X