Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Car not starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car not starting

Hey people, newbie with a problem.
    Last night i just finnished installing my new to me F22a in my 92 wagon w/5-speed. I bought it as a used long block out of a prelude(yr?). My motor had a bad rod knock(ran w/o oil). So besides the knock the car ran fine before the install.

Chain of events; I worked late last night to put everything back together. Checked the fluids, pulled the coil wire the build oil presser, reinstalled coil wire and the car started fine. Car ran at high idle for 20 sec then droped to about 1k like normal warm up. After about 2-3 minthe car surged and died. Checked every thing( fluids, connecters and plugs, looked for any leaks) all ok so I restarted. Started fine ran good then surged and died . Installed the hood, started the car and started to pull the car out to take for a test drive, car started to surge but was able to keep it running with the gas pedal. As the car surged I could here a clicking noise under the dash and every time it clicked the lights would flicker. Finally the car died and wouldn't restart. Waited a few min the tried to restart. Car started then died right away. Also when car was surging and clicking, when it died the tach droped to zero as the the motor was still turning.

What I done since; Checked the forums, found the MFR and resolder the connections, no start. Pulled the banjo nut from the fuel rail and cranked over the motor, No fuel coming from the line. Checked for spark with a sparkplug on the VC, no spark. Checked all fuses, all ok. Pulled the three plug from the fuel pump and checked with a volt meter, found 12v between outer two and about 4-5v on the center with no change when cranking over.

I don't know if the MFR controls spark going to the dizzy or if I am getting proper voltage to my fuel pump . Any help will be most welcome.

just checked the ecu for codes, no codes are up

Comment

Check the ignitor in the distributor?

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
        Check the ignitor in the distributor?
        What is the proper way to check the ignitor?
        I don't know anyone that I can borrow from.

Comment

take those advice first....the next thing you gotta do is check for sparks on spark plugs....if that's fine...then check for fuel (Listed from easiest to hard: gas tank/fuel pressure/fuel filter/fuel pump <-In gas tank.)
          ....if it's NEITHER of these so far

..my next advice would be to check your Main Relay...cuz what happend to you here sounded just like me. GL

*Needs*
          -New shocks
          -Struts
          -Drop
          -Cleaning
          -New Tires/Wheels
          -New Window Tint
          -Alot more lovin'

My Panda:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ghlight=Djmoua

Comment

Originally posted by slaminwagon
            What is the proper way to check the ignitor?
            I don't know anyone that I can borrow from.

i asked the exact same thing too...ppl said to me there's really no way on checking the ignitor...only thing is to replace it. But Do what's listed from easiest first...that way experience will be in your head.

*Needs*
            -New shocks
            -Struts
            -Drop
            -Cleaning
            -New Tires/Wheels
            -New Window Tint
            -Alot more lovin'

Comment

Originally posted by Djmoua
              take those advice first....the next thing you gotta do is check for sparks on spark plugs....if that's fine...then check for fuel (Listed from easiest to hard: gas tank/fuel pressure/fuel filter/fuel pump <-In gas tank.)
              ....if it's NEITHER of these so far

..my next advice would be to check your Main Relay...cuz what happend to you here sounded just like me. GL
              I check for spark on the spark plugs, no spark.
              I checked for fuel by pullin the the fuel line from the fuel rail then cranked over the motor, no fuel came out.
              I pulled my main relay and have already resoldered the contacts( i did this first thing this morning)
              Does the main relay have control over spark going to the dizzy?
              I can buy a main relay at autozone for about 80 bucks or the ignition piece also for about 80 bucks but to buy both would be real rough on the bank account.
              And by the way thanks for all input...G

Comment

Main relay controls fuel. Wow no fuel at the rail too. Umm check your grounds? Sounds like something isnt powering up. There is a T-stat ground some people always forget. You said all fuses were good right?

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                  Main relay controls fuel. Wow no fuel at the rail too. Umm check your grounds? Sounds like something isnt powering up. There is a T-stat ground some people always forget. You said all fuses were good right?
                  Check fuses under the hood and inside, all checked ok.
                  The t-stat ground, correct me if i am wrong but that the one that goes to the lower rad hose, I don't see a ground wire or a place for the gound to connect to. On the upper rad hose outlet i see a bolt hole with nothing in it. Can't find any loose ground wires hanging. Where does the t-stat ground come from?

Comment

Originally posted by slaminwagon
                    Check fuses under the hood and inside, all checked ok.
                    The t-stat ground, correct me if i am wrong but that the one that goes to the lower rad hose, I don't see a ground wire or a place for the gound to connect to. On the upper rad hose outlet i see a bolt hole with nothing in it. Can't find any loose ground wires hanging. Where does the t-stat ground come from?

taha when i went into a Mieneke shop, they told me no fuel is reaching the fuel rail too and concluded that it was my Fuel pump inside my fuel tank...turned out to be BULLSHIT!...would've cost me about 600 bucks ..but i said NO...replaced the fuel pump with my cuz...and turned out to be NOT the answer for my prob...it was something easier to fix....my main relay..haha mieneke would've got me bitchin at them.

*Needs*
                    -New shocks
                    -Struts
                    -Drop
                    -Cleaning
                    -New Tires/Wheels
                    -New Window Tint
                    -Alot more lovin'

Comment

Found it!
                      It was the T-stat ground, I just wasn't looking deep enough for it when looking for it. Once I hooked it up car fired right up! The gound must have been pushed on some part of the block when i had it running last night and then moved when i started to take it for the test drive.
                      Thanks to everyone who took the time to give some help....Gary

Comment

Glad to hear you got it fixed.

The New-ish Ride
                        My old Ride
                        Hear my Vtak!!!
                        MK3 Member #3
                        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                        X