Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

"burning a clutch"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T3aM 83rD
    Is this something that happens normally when your on the clutch repeatly for about 15min in traffic or was something wrong?
    Do you know when the clutch lines were last bled? Little pockets of air in the lines can cause loss of pedal pressure, especially when you are using it a lot over a short period of time.

Have the system completely bled... if the problems persists after that, you may have to replace either your clutch master or slave cylinders, or both.

Members Ride Thread

Comment

I have yet another question...
      Today while I was driving, my clutch lost pressure, I hooked it with my foot and pulled it back up and then it was fine again. This was while I was driving for about 45 min where the last 15mins were in traffic. After that and for the rest of the day it was fine. Is this something that happens normally when your on the clutch repeatly for about 15min in traffic or was something wrong?

Other than that I have been doing well, the car no longer jerks when Im changing gears, everything seems to be going smoothly.
      it never lost pedal pressure when i owned it but i did top it off bout a year ago and the fluid looked clean.
      did you smell anything odd?

Comment

1. Bleed it.
        2. Find your leak
        3. Make sure you have fluid in the CMC reservoir.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I have yet another question...
          Today while I was driving, my clutch lost pressure, I hooked it with my foot and pulled it back up and then it was fine again. This was while I was driving for about 45 min where the last 15mins were in traffic. After that and for the rest of the day it was fine. Is this something that happens normally when your on the clutch repeatly for about 15min in traffic or was something wrong?

Other than that I have been doing well, the car no longer jerks when Im changing gears, everything seems to be going smoothly.
          i stronggggly recommend that you or someone check out your clutch reservoir to make sure that your clutch line isnt leaking or taking in air (under the car/firewall/under the distributor). and it just takes two people to bleed the slave cylinder to flush the clutch line (im sure there's a diy somewhere on here).

could be worse:
          One day my clutch felt like it was 'sticking' too and i had to kick it up a bit -- drove fine for a few days until one day i just had no clutch. i came to a stop sign and i realize i had no clutch. so i let myself roll in neutral and ran the stop sign over to the shoulder lane, cuz i knew that once i stopped --- i was gonna StoP. the problem turned out to be more than air deposits in the line (making it feel 'spongy' and kicking it up), but instead my clutch hose (a 12inch rubber hose right under the distributor) had a pineedle-sized hole in it. everytime the clutch had pressure, i could see a stream shooting out like a watergun -- so look for any brake fluid-coated areas under the hood or any leaks. once somethin like that happens -- youll probably have to replace the master cylinder and slave cylinder (if not hose also), cuz theyll bprobably fail well once it dries and lacks lubrication. i also recommend keeping the bay clean, that way itll be easier to see things that like goin on under the hood
          Last edited by sin2k5; 04-27-2007, 01:15 AM.

Member's Ride Thread | DMV Summer Meet 2011
          Q: Why is your pants around your ankles? Answer

Comment

Originally posted by jay78
            it never lost pedal pressure when i owned it but i did top it off bout a year ago and the fluid looked clean.
            did you smell anything odd?
            When I checked the fluid on Monday everything looked clean and full. I didn't get a chance to check it yesterday but this afternoon when I get home I'll look at it again.

I don't smell anything odd, and like I said after that one time is was fine for the rest of the day.

This morning while driving to work it happened again. (I was on a hill it was raining and I was at a stop light, dont know if that has anything to do with it) It didnt loose complete pressure, it was like half-way dead. But once I pulled it up, it was good to go again.

One more thing, once this morning it wouldnt go into any gear, I was in nuetral and then tried to put it into first and it would go in. I tried to put it into the other gears and it didnt go into any, I played with it for a couple of seconds and then it went right it. Normally its kinda stiff but I got use to it and it slides right in. The previous owner had put on a yeaman (sp?) short shifter, dont know if that has anything to do with it. Anyone?
            Last edited by T3aM 83rD; 04-27-2007, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Check your slave cylinder around the boot to see if its wet.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                Hills are a bitch... Even after 6 years of driving stick, I still get nervous when some douche gets too close to me on a hill. You WILL roll back a little normally... You just have to be quick with your feet to keep it to a minimum. The e-brake thing you did isn't a bad idea when someone is too close.

I've had a few instances where I totally burned out at a hill because I was afraid to roll back into the guy behind me.
                haha mike, thats funny that you mention this, when im on a hill (even a slight hill) and someones too close i roll back on purpose comming within inches of them that way at the nixt light they wont get so close and if they do it again at the nest light i either get closer or slightly nudge them when i roll back, just enough so that they dont have any damage but do know that i mean business haha; un fortunately all my stick cars are gone right now and all i have left is my auto grand am wit a blown angine and my auto mercedes oh and THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH thread starter for starting this thread, now im jelous and miss my stick cars!!

but any who, good luck with your learnin to drive stick its fun and after a while you wont wanna drve an automatic car at all cause you will find it boring
                traded the honda for a v-dub :-)
                broke the vw, bought a mercedes

\/Maybe comming soon\/

Comment

One more thing, once this morning it wouldnt go into any gear
                  on cold starts sometimes ive had older cars do this....

if it struggles from neutral, then release the clutch, push back in and try putting into gear again.

Comment

OK so...
                    Last night while driving, I jumped on the highway and everything seemed normal except the clutch would loose a little pressure everytime I shifted, I just hooked it with my foot and pulled it back up.
                    When getting off the highway I put it into Neutral and when I went to put in into 3rd gear the clutch was completely dead. It wouldnt go into any gear, so I slowly rolled off to the corner.

I popped the hood and checked the clutch master cylinder and there was no fluid, so I made a couple of calls and discovered that you use brake fluid in there, fine, I get my uncle to bring me some brake fluid. I poured it in, pump the clutch still no pressure. Called Alvin (Bruno4787) and he said that I have to bleed the system to get pressure, so he describes exactly what to do, I couldnt see the bleeder valve because it was dark out and I had no light, all I had in the car was 2 screwdrivers and a little pliers.

So he takes a drive out to where I am and we try to get it going, he told me that the slave cylinder is shot. He saw fluid coming out somewhere it wasnt suppose to when I was pumping the clutch.

I found the DIY on changing the slave cylinder, it seems pretty easy. But my question is should I change the clutch master cylinder while Im at it?

Comment

So he takes a drive out to where I am and we try to get it going, he told me that the slave cylinder is shot. He saw fluid coming out somewhere it wasnt suppose to when I was pumping the clutch.

I found the DIY on changing the slave cylinder, it seems pretty easy. But my question is should I change the clutch master cylinder while Im at it?
                      damn....lol i u hit the scenario i told u about! i had a feeling!

yea, you should change both the master cylinder and slave cylinder, because usually when one is shot, the other isnt far along, because the rubber seals in em eventually fail when theres lack of lubrication by the brake fluid. and im tellin u...check ur hoses in the cluch system too, just in case brake fluid is leakin out else where before you 'think' its fixed and stops again later on. itll probably put you out about 100buxx both m.c.+s.c (hose...20-30). and expect removing the the master cylinder to be a bitch but nothin major. then its a two-man job to bleed the system, which is a specific 1,2,3,4,5 kinda process (done repeatedly until system is fully bled of air) -- one guy at the valve, one at the pedal.

if youre not sure, do a search for the specific order of the steps to bleed -- i forget the order of the steps in terms of releasing valve, pedal down, then pedal up, then tighten or w/e (cuz doin them in the wrong order wont do anything --- ull probably just suck in more air) -- if not luck, i can ask a friend of mine...he helped me out w/mine.

**after youre done -- MAKE SURE you properly re-adjust and tighten ur pedal or else your transmission may 'feel' like it slips while driving -- which is basically when your car revs up when you add gas but does nothing/accels very slowly when your in gear.

lemme know how that goes.

Comment

I replaced the slave cylinder, it was a easy job, it cost $28 for the new cylinder.

Next week or whenever I get some time I'll look into changing the clutch master cylinder. People said to look by the clutch pedal where it goes into the firewall and see if there is a leak there, I checked it out and it looked clean.

It's alot smoother going into gears now. The only thing is that before the clutch had pressure all the way on top, now it goes down about 1 inch before you start to feel the pressure. Dont know if thats a problem or not.
                        It drives great though.

Comment

Bleed it more.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I replaced the slave cylinder, it was a easy job, it cost $28 for the new cylinder.

Next week or whenever I get some time I'll look into changing the clutch master cylinder. People said to look by the clutch pedal where it goes into the firewall and see if there is a leak there, I checked it out and it looked clean.

It's alot smoother going into gears now. The only thing is that before the clutch had pressure all the way on top, now it goes down about 1 inch before you start to feel the pressure. Dont know if thats a problem or not.
                            It drives great though.

just make sure to properly adjust the pedal if you deal with the master cylinder -- cuz my tranny was slipping really badly one day on the highway, the my clutch would only disengage when the pedal was further and further down to the point that i had only about 1.5inch clearance and i had to get off the road and stop. (i thought it was due for a new clutch, but it was just because my pedal was to tight or loose or too high or low or soemthin IDK, but i took care of its and its fine now lol...make sure u dont cut corners when workin on your car lol (like my friend and i)

Comment

Working...
                            X