Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Shift gear stiff when put into park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift gear stiff when put into park

I have an automatic 90 dx and lately my shifter has been stuff getting out of park gear or putting it back to park. can it be i need transmission fluid or can my transmission gone? please help!!!

Well if you havent done tranny fluid flush it would be a good idea too. But for your shifting might need to check your shift linkage. MIght need to be lubed up.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

could be stop switch/brake switch

Comment

Originally posted by StoobyMcDooby
        could be stop switch/brake switch
        If that was the case it wouldnt be able to get out of park and such. He would have to use the key to move it out of gear.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Most likely it is the park lock, which with the age of the car could be just getting old.

This is a physical mechanism inside the tranny that physically engages so the car can't roll.

You will notice it mostly on hills.

The best way to prevent it is to apply the emergency brake (which you should use all the time anyway) BEFORE you take your foot off of the brake pedal, when you park the car.

This prevents all of the force from being on that lock, and should make it easier to get into and out of park.

A fluid change also won't hurt anything, but make sure you use ONLY Honda Genuine Automatic Transmission Fluid.
          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Also, many of us with auto transmissions have cables that start to bind and become difficult to move with age. My 90 lx has this problem fairly badly. It gets worse as the temperature drops. Replacing the shifter cable could surely alleviate this. I bought a replacement cable, but after hearing its quite a pain to install, I put it off, and never got around to doing it. The cable still sits in its packaging...

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
            where you been, is something wrong?
            i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by accordaffair
              Also, many of us with auto transmissions have cables that start to bind and become difficult to move with age. My 90 lx has this problem fairly badly. It gets worse as the temperature drops. Replacing the shifter cable could surely alleviate this. I bought a replacement cable, but after hearing its quite a pain to install, I put it off, and never got around to doing it. The cable still sits in its packaging...
              That cable shouldn't take more than 30mins to replace.

There is a pin on one end and a pin on the other, but you will probably have to seperate the downpipe from the cat, but it isn't very hard.

Comment

I was told (by a mechanic) that it entails disassembling the dash and dropping the crossmember.

Of course he may have been bs'ing.

Comment

I was told (by a mechanic) that it entails disassembling the dash and dropping the crossmember.

I just had my CB in the shop (91 lx automatic) for a binded shifter cable. The Shift cable was all tore up just from normal wear and tear on a 16+ year old car. So $308 (for the part and labor)+the tow later I am back up and running.

I would reccomend getting this taken care of ASAP whether you do it yourself or have a mechanic do it. My mechanic said that it REALLY took some work to get to it. I was already pissed for not taking care of it sooner so I didnt ask how much work that meant. I do know that he charged me $100 just for labor. And he is usually pretty fair on labor prices since my family have been taking our cars there for 20+ years.

I kept putting mine off and the long I waited the worse it got. Eventually mine just got stuck in D4. I could get it down to D3, 2, and 1 and then back up to D4. But as all of us with AUTO's know, you can only start an AUTO in Neutral or Park. So I had to get mine towed to the shop.

I asked my mechanic to see the cable when he got done with it and it is just a steel braided line that was all frailed and binded up. Later

Comment

Your mechanic was wrong.

There is a little cover on the tranny, that is held on by 1 or 2 10mm bolts.

Under that is the shift cable.

Then it runs near the crossmemer to the tunnel. If you look above the front of the heatshield, you can see where it goes into the interior.

Just on the other side of that rubber grommet where it goes through, it attaches to the shift selector.

I have done it. Trust me. It isn't hard.

Comment

That cable is a pain...

Unless you have done this before, I wouldn't try to replace this myself. I took the whole middle console off to see what it was and read the Hayne manual. I didn't know were to start. This is a vital area of the car that uses very small parts. This cable is connected to all sorts of things in relation with the transmission and if you don't know what is causing the problem you will mess up something else. The cable is very fragile and I doubt you want to dig yourself into a hole financially. This has to be done right the first time or it will just keep breaking or not function properly. The cable cannot be repaired but replaced and it's not cheap. I know because my car is in the shop for this right now and it's costing me $280 parts and labor to fix it but, it has to be done. Think about it and if your confident and experienced enough I guess try it. If not, take it in man. You can't do everything yourself but, most areas of the car you can. Let us know and good luck bro!

Comment

Your mechanic was wrong.

There is a little cover on the tranny, that is held on by 1 or 2 10mm bolts.

Under that is the shift cable.

Then it runs near the crossmemer to the tunnel. If you look above the front of the heatshield, you can see where it goes into the interior.

Just on the other side of that rubber grommet where it goes through, it attaches to the shift selector.

I have done it. Trust me. It isn't hard.
                        I believe you. I've gotten under the car, and saw the tranny cover you mention, and where it runs into the car. If I got the car in the air, it shouldn't be too long.

Comment

I believe you. I've gotten under the car, and saw the tranny cover you mention, and where it runs into the car. If I got the car in the air, it shouldn't be too long.

I don't remember if I removed it from the shifter since I wasn't interested in keeping either, but it should be manageable.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                          X