Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Beginners Guide to VTEC

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginners Guide to VTEC

VTEC
    VTEC (standing for Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control) is a system developed by Honda Motor Co., Ltd. to improve the combustion efficiency of its internal combustion engines throughout the RPM range. This was the FIRST SYSTEM of its kind and eventually led to different types of variable valve timing and lift control systems that were later designed by other manufacturers (i.e. VVT-i from Toyota or VANOS from BMW).

Visual Aid/Video
    More of a visual learner or just dont like to read?
    VTEC operation explained by Honda

Introduction to VTEC
    In the regular four-stroke automobile engine, lobes on a camshaft actuate the intake and exhaust valves. The shapes of the lobes’ determine both the timing and the lift of each valve. Timing refers to when a valve is opened or closed with respect to the combustion cycle. Lift refers to how much the valve is opened. Due to the behavior of the gases (air and fuel mixture) before and after combustion, which have physical limitations on their flow, as well as their interaction with the ignition spark, the optimal valve timing and lift settings under low RPM engine operations are very different from those under high RPM. Optimal low RPM valve timing and lift settings would result in insufficient fuel and air at high rpm, thus greatly limiting engine power output. Conversely, optimal high rpm valve timing and lift settings would result in very rough low RPM operation and difficult idling. The ideal engine would have fully variable valve timing and lift, in which the valves would always open at exactly the right point and lift high enough for the engine speed in use.

In practice, such a perfectly adjustable timing and lift system is complex and expensive to implement and is therefore found only in costly experimental and limited production engines. The vast majority of modern automobile engines operate with a fixed camshaft profile that represents a compromise between low RPM smoothness and high RPM power output. And since the average automobile engine spends most of its time running in the low RPM region, there is typically more emphasis on low RPM smoothness at the expense of high RPM output. Performance-tuned engines have cam profiles that are optimized more towards high RPM operation, where the greatest power can be obtained. But this means that low speed operation is compromised. Anyone who has heard a racing car or a highly-tuned hot rod sitting at idle will note that the engine sounds like it is barely capable of running at that speed.

DOHC VTEC
    Honda's VTEC system is a simple and fairly elegant method of endowing the engine with multiple camshaft profiles optimized for low and high RPM operations. Instead of only one cam lobe actuating each valve, there are two - one optimized for low RPM smoothness and one to maximize high RPM power output. The engine’s management computer controls switching between the two cam lobes. As engine RPM increases, a locking pin is pushed by oil pressure to bind the high RPM cam follower for operation. From this point on, the valve opens and closes according to the high-speed profile, which opens the valve further and for a longer time. The VTEC system was originally introduced as a DOHC system in the 1989 Honda Integra sold in Japan, which used a 160 hp (119 kW) variant of the B16A engine. The US market saw the first VTEC system with the introduction of the 1990 Acura NSX, which used a DOHC V6. The DOHC VTEC system has high and low RPM cam lobe profiles on both the intake and exhaust valve camshafts. This resulted in the most power gain at high RPMs and DOHC VTEC engines were thus used in the highest performance Honda automobiles. In contrast to the SOHC implementation, which switches between cams profiles seamlessly, when the DOHC version switches cams there is a definite change in the engine note.

SOHC VTEC
    As popularity and marketing value of the VTEC system grew, Honda applied the system to SOHC engines, which shares a common camshaft for both intake and exhaust valves. The trade-off is that SOHC engines only benefit from the VTEC mechanism on the intake valves. This is because in the SOHC engine, the spark plugs need to be inserted at an angle to clear the camshaft, and in the SOHC motor, the spark plug tubes are situated between the two exhaust valves, making VTEC on the exhaust impossible.

SOHC VTEC-E
    Honda's next version of VTEC, VTEC-E, was used in a slightly different way; instead of optimizing performance at high RPMs, it was used to increase efficiency at low RPMs. At low RPMs, only one of the two intake valves is allowed to open, increasing the fuel/air mixture's swirl in the cylinder and thus allowing a very lean mixture to be used. As the engine's speed increases, both valves are needed to supply sufficient mixture, and thus a sliding pin as in the regular VTEC is used to connect both valves together and start the second one moving too.

In North American markets, VTEC-E can be found in Honda's most fuel-efficient cars, including the 1992-1995 Civic VX and 1996-2000 Civic HX.

3-Stage VTEC
    Honda also introduced a 3-stage VTEC system in select markets, which combines the features of both DOHC VTEC and SOHC VTEC-E. At low speeds, only one intake valve is used. At medium speeds, two are used. At high speeds, the engine switches to a high-speed cam profile as in regular VTEC. Thus, both low-speed economy and high-speed efficiency and power are improved.

CONTINUED BELOW......
    Last edited by MadSpleen85; 04-08-2007, 09:23 PM.

Continued

i-VTEC
    i-VTEC introduced continuously variable camshaft phasing on the intake cam of DOHC VTEC engines. The technology first appeared on Honda's K-series four cylinder engine family in 2002. Valve lift and duration are still limited to distinct low and high rpm profiles, but the intake camshaft is now capable of advancing between 25 and 50 degrees (depending upon engine configuration) during operation. Phase changes are implemented by a computer controlled, oil driven adjustable cam gear. Phasing is determined by a combination of engine load and rpm, ranging from fully retarded at idle to maximum advance at full throttle and low RPMs. The effect is further optimization of torque output, especially at low and midrange RPMs.

In 2004, Honda introduced an i-VTEC V6 (an update of the venerable J-series), but in this case, i-VTEC had nothing do to with cam phasing. Instead, i-VTEC referred to Honda's cylinder deactivation technology, which closes the valves on one bank of (3) cylinders during light load and low speed (below 80 mph) operation. The technology was originally introduced to the US on the Honda Odyssey, and can now be found on the Honda Accord Hybrid and the 2006 Honda Pilot. An additional version of i-VTEC was introduced on the 2006 Honda Civics’ R-series four-cylinder engine. This implementation uses very small valve lifts at low rpm and light loads, in combination with large throttle openings (modulated by a drive-by-wire throttle system), to improve fuel economy by reducing pumping losses.

With the continued introduction of vastly different i-VTEC systems, one may assume that the term is now a catch all for creative valve control technologies from Honda.

VTEC in motorcycles
    Apart from the Japanese market-only Honda CB400 Super Four Hyper VTEC, introduced in 1999, the first worldwide implementation of VTEC technology in a motorcycle occurred with the introduction of Honda's VFR800 sport bike in 2002. Similar to the SOHC VTEC-E style, one intake valve remains closed until a threshold of 7000 rpm is reached, then the second valve is opened by an oil-pressure actuated pin. The dwell of the valves remains unchanged, as in the automobile VTEC-E, and little extra power is produced but with a smoothing-out of the torque curve. Critics maintain that VTEC adds little to the VFR experience while increasing the engine's complexity. Drivability is a concern for some who are wary of the fact that the VTEC may activate in the middle of an aggressive corner, upsetting the stability and throttle response of the bike.

Driving with VTEC
    The original VTEC technology did not do all that much to improve engine power or efficiency at low speeds, though it did mean that Honda did not need to consider high-speed operation at all for its low-speed cam profile. Thus, this has led some to accuse VTEC of being more hype than actual improvement for the average driver. The counter-argument is that with VTEC the higher-speed power is there if the driver needs it. Unlike a higher displacement or forced induction engine of similar power output, VTEC allows a smaller and more efficient engine. The ability of the VTEC engines to develop higher RPMs, however, allowed Honda to deliver them with transmissions having lower gearing, which served to increase the acceleration.
    A vehicle achieves its greatest acceleration by keeping the engine RPM as close to the peak power output as possible, delivering maximum power. For VTEC engines this means keeping the needle at some rather lofty RPMs, and more frequent shifting to maintain high RPM. To some people this is a desirable trait: lots of driver involvement in the process of extracting excellent performance. To others, especially those accustomed to the flatter power curves of most ordinary cars, the high RPM and frequent shifts become bothersome.

Reliability
    Honda is known for the longevity and reliability of its engines. There are several Honda cars with B18B engines that have 700,000+ km on them with all original parts. Forged internals on many Honda engines, such as the crankshaft and connecting rods, are more expensive to produce but are much stronger than cast pieces. This results in parts that are lighter, yielding lower reciprocating mass, which puts less stress on engine components. Honda engines also have an excellent cooling design and a superior oiling system.

VTEC cam system
    Honda is known for its VTEC cam system. This system allows the engine to have two completely different cam lobes for different characteristics. One cam lobe is tuned for low-end rpm torque and a good idle, while the other is tuned for high-end power and efficiency.

The secondary cam lobes are used to open the valves for longer (Duration)and give higher valve lift which allows more air and fuel to enter the engine at high rpm. It is activated by an oil control solenoid, which locks the secondary cam lobe follower in place. When VTEC is off, the Secondary cam follower is not locked and simply follows the contour of the cam without effect. The engine is basically 2 engines in 1!! Even the fuelling is different for both VTEC on and VTEC off. For this, Honda use two fuel maps and two ign maps in the ECU. When VTEC is ON the second maps are used and when VTEC is switched OFF then the First maps are used to controlling and fuelling.

References
    Honda Motor Co., Ltd. (2004). Technology Close-up. (2004)
    The rest of this information came from Wikipedia and Temple of VTEC...
    (Originally compiled by KScivic from www.hofk.tk Hondas of Kansas)

Hopefully this will answer some questions.. If any of this information is FALSE and you can prove it to me that I am wrong PLEASE let me know and I will make the appropriate changes.. Enjoy.. Later
    Last edited by MadSpleen85; 04-08-2007, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Great find!!! I vote for this to get stickied!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by trcsbrian
        Great find!!! I vote for this to get stickied!!!!
        X2.
        Originally posted by deevergote.
        And please, for the love of God, type like a human being!

Comment

Pretty sweet all now you need to add is some pictures on vtec internally to show how is switches and you will be the man. But I still give it !!!!
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcT_ZyY3F0k
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pBic...elated&search=

"Real intelligence is like a river; the deeper it is, the less noise it makes.”

Click Me

Comment

Good write up!

I stickied the thread, and I didn't want to edit your work, but visual aids are always a good thing.

So if you want to add the youtube videos that were posted, that would be super.

They could scroll down, but that way it might be more accessible.
            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

More complete reference information added... Later

Comment

Good stuff!
                92' Honda Accord F22A1
                01' Buick Park Ave 3800 Supercharged

Comment

Visual aid/Video added... Later

Comment

wow.. and i was told it was just "chipped..." what a fucking idiot of a friend...

Comment

ididnt know about that good job

Comment

http://asia.vtec.net/spfeature/vtecimpl/vtec1.html
                        http://www.teamdelsol.com/technical/techstuff/vtec/

"Real intelligence is like a river; the deeper it is, the less noise it makes.”

Click Me

Comment

No offense...But zero2sixtyr35 is posting in every one of these stickys just to get his post count up......

Elite Concepts

Comment

love the write up but i rather stay non vtec for now neways

Current Cars
                            95 Civic Coupe - ass tons of mods but always broke.
                            90 Accord EX auto - no mods.
                            90 Accord EX 5 Speed - no mods
                            76 Datsun 280z - soon to be rb goodness.
                            90 Lexus LS400 - low and slow.
                            85 Cressida - soon to be four doors of 2jz love.

Comment

Working...
                            X