Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

h23/h22 turbo project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

h23/h22 turbo project

Hi all, I'm new here, names Tony and I'm brand new to the honda world.

I've actually been working on this project for a few months and I'm starting to hear some negative things about the engine setup I've chosen for my first project.

I've taken an H23 block and slapped on an H22 head (longer stroke with DOHC Vtec) and added a t3/t4 turbo to it.

The engine is complete now....with turbo....sitting in my buddies garage, but I want to hear some oppinions on the durability before I go out and start breaking her in.

Will this block stand up to the torture of 6 lbs of boost?

Originally posted by Tloc
    Hi all, I'm new here, names Tony and I'm brand new to the honda world.

I've actually been working on this project for a few months and I'm starting to hear some negative things about the engine setup I've chosen for my first project.

I've taken an H23 block and slapped on an H22 head (longer stroke with DOHC Vtec) and added a t3/t4 turbo to it.

The engine is complete now....with turbo....sitting in my buddies garage, but I want to hear some oppinions on the durability before I go out and start breaking her in.

Will this block stand up to the torture of 6 lbs of boost?

Well first things first......What did you do to the internals?!

^Click to view my Members Ride Thread^

Comment

it can take a good beating.

Just make sure it's fully tuned and dont go crazy on the timing.

You also might want to consider a high volume oil pump. Frankenstein engines die due to 2 things:
      1. not enough oil pressure
      2. and too much timing

h23 blocks can take a good amount of boost, as long as it tuned.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

We used an H22 oil pump....and let me tell you what a joy that was to find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They were on backorder for a few months, finally found one site that had it....as well as the engine mount brackets I needed. So if anyone is having a heck of a hard time finding a part that you need, try out majestichonda.com

And to answer the question asked, I pretty much left the internals stock, we did do a rebuild which included all gaskets, all rings, and a few trips to the machine shop.......and the most extensive-pain in the behind-head cleaning ive ever even heard of.

which brings me to my next question.......will stock engine mounts hold up to that same torture? Maybe if we pour them with poly?

Comment

def fill them with poly.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

H22s and h23s are pretty strong engines and being rebuilt will definately help and make it last longer. 6 lbs of boost def shouldn't be too much. As for the mounts, since you have the engine out anyway you might as well get some new ones. Couldn't hurt.
            R.I.P. CB7; hello spec-v!

Member's Ride
            FS thread: full part-out

Help me with my spec-V fund, buy my stuff!!!
            Degree of rice and performability are inversely related.

Comment

well i have the stock left and right mounts, but I have to buy the front and rear anyway, so I'm kind of looking for suggestions. Should I just go with stock and pour them or should I get some aftermarkets?

Comment

i would poly fill them. it is alot cheaper! lol

1993 Honda Prelude H23t -big 16g turbo, uberdata, and a kick ass body and paint to go with it!

Comment

6lbs should be safe. Frankenstein motors aren't always reliable, though. It sounds as if you did it right, but still be prepared for failure. I've seen more failed franks than I have successful ones.

Comment

I guess I could tell you all a little more about the car.......

It will be a sleeper of sorts, the intercooler is almost completely hidden by a bumper cover chop job.

Right now it is lowered 1 inch on adjustable coilovers, could go down 2 or up 4 from where im at.

bought 17" gun metal-chromes, not sure on brand but i really like them (got them for 175 with 2 good Kumho tires)

Altezza chrome tail lights, Chrome projector headlights

Its champaigne-with burgandy int.....ugh......I'm thinking gun metal with black cherry tinted clear for paint....might do black or grey int swap

grey on black racing seat covers all the way around right now

A pod (i think.....the one that attaches to the left of the windshield) with blacked out LED boost guage and oil pres guage (i really like my guages)

went with continental contisport Z rated tires, descent tire for pretty cheap

Got the quietest BOV I could find, dont know brand but I dont want it heard much

High flow cat, were going to put a Y in the exhaust to bypass it anyway though

plan on getting high flow intake but as cheap as they are I figured that could wait till last

anyway, i was thinking about doing some sort of Lip kit....if they make them for the CB7's, i know they do for the 92-95 civics.....

well, let me know what you think of my project.........

Comment

nice im gonna do that swap too turbo as well lemme know how that turns out man..i ordered my lip from jdmcarboy but i think they just got me for my money cuz i heard another guy in here who has the same problem...so now that they got it on ebay imma order it...but if u find the lip kit please lemme know asap...thanx man...

Comment

so heres a silly question that I have been pondering since I started this project.......with the frank and 6lbs......any clue what HP/torque I should expect with a good tune? based off of stock specs on h22/h23.......im kind of expecting about 200 hp and about 160 torque unboosted........just my personal guess???????

another thing I have to ask.......how well do the CB7's hook up from a dig (with the frank-boosted)? My mechanic is kind of hinting that I may have to really back off of the pedal in 1st and 2nd to avoid a john force burnout. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.....

Comment

6 lbs of boost is deffinetly not a lot on these blocks they are tough blocks just be aware of getting enough oil and watching the motor.

GOT BOOST???

massive part out on accord almost everything is going

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=125294

Comment

Originally posted by Tloc
                            so heres a silly question that I have been pondering since I started this project.......with the frank and 6lbs......any clue what HP/torque I should expect with a good tune? based off of stock specs on h22/h23.......im kind of expecting about 200 hp and about 160 torque unboosted........just my personal guess???????

another thing I have to ask.......how well do the CB7's hook up from a dig (with the frank-boosted)? My mechanic is kind of hinting that I may have to really back off of the pedal in 1st and 2nd to avoid a john force burnout. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.....
                            a good estamite of power would probly be around 190-220hp the h23 is a good block and the h22 head is even better for turboing.
                            also the cb7s hook up good as long as u dont rev the hell out of it and drop the clutch.

GOT BOOST???

massive part out on accord almost everything is going

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=125294

Comment

well, 190-220 unboosted.......but what about with boost?

Comment

Working...
                              X