Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

scary high temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scary high temp

i've known for a while i really need an oil change so i looked today to check my level. it was a quarter inch under the first hole on the stick. i also found my coolant level was basically nothing. went and picked up my coolant, filled it up and drove to a running trail. then im going to a restaurant after im done and im sitting in the drive through and i notice my temp gauge is all the way at H. i pull over and turn my car off. i have no idea wats goin on with it. i carefully drive home but its rush hour so traffic is really slow. every time i come to a stop my temp gauge starts rising again. its fine though when im driving around at 40 but im really scared. this is a big problem. what do you all think is wrong?

check again to see if you have coolant still. you might have a hairline crack somewhere and leaking it all.

Comment

i checked it when i got home. it hasn't lost a bit.

Comment

Mine did the same thing a few weeks ago... I had a really small hole on one of my heater hoses... Just something to check.. Later

Comment

Pressure test your system for visual leaks.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

so it couldn't have anything to do with my oil right? btw, i just got a new radiator and hoses about 4 months ago.

Comment

No leaks? ok then your not getting cooled off. So either your thermostat isnt letting the hot water out or your fans arnt cooling it when it gets there.

Does it cool when the car is moving? that should mean the radiator is getting the coolent. So if its only over heating when the car isnt moving and your hitting the high end of your temp guage then check if your fans are kicking in. Run it hard for a few miles and then park it with the engine running... if the fans dont kick in before the temp hits the red line go drive it real fast and get some cold air across the raidator before your shut it down. Time to go thru the non working fans problem.

Search: but heres a good place to start.
              The Relay in the fuse box under the hood.. possible wire damage near the fans.. A dead fan could also do it.. umm and there is a fan timer under the dash somewhere, you might want to check that if your fans are staying hours after you shut the car off if you replace the relay and your fans start working again.

The fuse under the hood is like 20$ if you can find one new or junk yard for cheaper
              the timer under the dash can go for near $90 but of course cheaper at the junk yard And a replacement fan is anywhere from 20 to $70 depending on what you want to do.

If all else fails, just wire up a aftermarket fan with a switch on your dash. and run it on hot days, or wire it to run all the time when the engine is on.

Tons of Do it yourselfs and walk thrus on solving this problem are here on this fourm just use the search button.
              I cant Slam further. The ground refuses to get any lower.

Comment

Unless your getting oil in your coolent or coolent in your oil ... its probly not related to your oil. If your equiptment is new, try changing the thermostat.. if you replaced the radiator and hoses you should have replaced the thermostat aswell. is a cheap part and easy to replace when you already have the hoses off.. Dont forget to bleed the system to avoid a surging idle.

A poorly maintainted engine could damage the water pump tho.. but you would hear a nasty metal on metal grinding sorta sound as your timing belt turns the bad pump.

Comment

Originally posted by mikes_accord_se
                  so it couldn't have anything to do with my oil right? btw, i just got a new radiator and hoses about 4 months ago.
                  Brand new radiator hoses dont matter there are other hoses that run off the thermostat housing. As I said pressure test the system for visual leaks. You might want to check your fans and such also maybe your thermostat but I would pressure test for a visual leak. Might wanna bleed the system a bit since you said you were really low on coolant.

The New-ish Ride
                  My old Ride
                  Hear my Vtak!!!
                  MK3 Member #3
                  I piss off people for fun.
                  IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

yeah i drove it pretty hard for 5 minutes, parked it and both fans were off. didn't show me a high temp though but if none of the fans are working, thats probably the deal i suppose.

Comment

Next time your getting hot under the hood, listen for the fans or pull over and pop the hood next time its up there in temp... the fans should be spinnin if its getting hot.
                      Replace the thermstat just to be safe and then:

Trouble shoot the fans.

Comment

Working...
                      X