Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Sport Shift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sport Shift?

Ok, before I start, ive looked all over the forums for a related topic like this one but couldnt find one. Anywho, I have a 1990 ex coupe. Its an automatic. I also have something called sport shift which im sure most of you all have too. I hadnt had my cb7 very long but I was wondering whats that EXACTLY for. I just need a complete breakdown and understanding of how it works.. Thanks
    My Black "H"
    AL Meet!?

//Secret G2I Lover, Shhhhhhh! //

I believe only the 90/91's had this option from the factory. It has to do with at what point your AUTO tranny decides to shift.. The SPORT setting is designed from what I understand to serve as a little extra boost of power when trying to pass a slower driver or enter the highway. It simply raises the RPM at which the transmission shifts to the next gear. I have found from experience that it is best, if you want better gas mileage to only use it when you need it, entering highways or passing. With it engaged during normal city driving you will notice a drop in your gas mileage. It isnt a major drop but it is enough that I noticed it. Hope that helps. Later

Comment

Oh i see thanks!
      My Black "H"
      AL Meet!?

Comment

The automatic now featured electronic shift control and two shift modes: Normal and Sport. Sport improved acceleration by delaying upshifts to higher rpm than in Normal mode.

From www.howstuffworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie
          The automatic now featured electronic shift control and two shift modes: Normal and Sport. Sport improved acceleration by delaying upshifts to higher rpm than in Normal mode.

From www.howstuffworks.com
          Well let me put it this way.. Then when you use sport shift you then drive the car like a manual?
          My Black "H"
          AL Meet!?

Comment

Originally posted by ex_style90
            Well let me put it this way.. Then when you use sport shift you then drive the car like a manual?

im not sure about this.

I dont think you have to but i might be wrong.

the only experience i have with the S button came by way of my dads 90 accord...but i never used it because back then i had no clue what anything was lol...

when it would rain there was a short and the sport would kick on and id HAVE to manually shift it....

id be in D4 and vroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmm and i knew to drop to 1 and go up because of my dad...if he didnt tell me...i woulda blew the tranny lol....

Ive learned some things since then, but i own a 93 so no S button lol

Comment

So I have a automatic and a manual?!
              My Black "H"
              AL Meet!?

Comment

Im guessing the sports button is more like the "overdrive off" button...

it would probably allow for higher rpm shifts....

although not like a manual gearbox, you can choose sports if u need that extra punch from the engine; going up hill, if u want to speed up on an on ramp...and so on.
                DEVOTE

Comment

AHH im confused.. Ok , so its basically an overdrive button?...idk, i probaly have to experiment with it like a noob, then see what happens...
                  My Black "H"
                  AL Meet!?

Comment

The sport shift is USELESS. As said, in DRIVE, it delays shift points to higher RPM. The f22a makes little to no power in upper RPM, thus, useless.

Comment

Wow... lots of misleading information!

NEVER drive your automatic like a manual... unless you want to learn how to replace a transmission.

The sport shift button, as said above, simply raises the shift points. Instead of shifting at, say, 4500rpm at 75% throttle, it'll shift at 5500rpm. When the car shifts at that higher rpm, it'll shift into a range where the engine is putting more power to the wheels... meaning you'll have a faster rate of acceleration. Honestly, it's not really all that useful (also said above). That's probably the reason why it wasn't continued in the later models!

The F22A1/4 makes it's peak power at 5200rpm, so taking it up that high, and slightly higher, would make for the best acceleration. If the transmission shifts to about 2800 or so instead of 2200, you won't get that "shift bog". It's beneficial when passing, or when you need to get out of the way of approaching traffic while merging. Full throttle would probably do the same thing though.

Comment

Using the search box entering exactly what you have in the title....

Link 1 ====> Link 2

Comment

very informative. thx

Comment

would be cool if the sport button acted like the sport buttons on the ferrari haha normal driving.......sport button BOOM turbo powa.

nah i've never really noticed a difference when I was driving my buddies auto with sport button, maybe when i was merging onto the freeway it did bring the rpm's up about 1k but thats really it, never noticed any difference in power or whatev.
                            Originally posted by jboyce
                            i f'd this girl last night i hadnt seen in a while...used to be cute, but when i had her naked lying on my bed i noticed she had gained alot of weight and looked like a manatee rolling around on my bed.

Comment

It's just the transmission. Wouldn't do anything with power anyway.

At full throttle, the transmission shifts at the same place no matter what... so the sport button is only for part-throttle... which makes it, well, worthless!

Comment

Working...
                              X