Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

RPM idle - How low is too low?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RPM idle - How low is too low?

Setting the idle...

how low is too low?
    what are the ramifications of a lower/higher idle?

was having eratic idle, went through all parts, coolant, IAC, EGR, FIT, AirBoost, etc...lowered my idle from 900 to 600 and its gone.
    91 EX F22A4 - Stock w/ 220k mi
    My Ride - 12/06

i think it is supposed to be 800 rpm

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
    UPDATED NEW PICS!!!

Comment

Around 750 to 800 rpm is teh lowest. You should have it between 900 -1000 rpms....

Comment

I've always thought it was supposed to idle at 650 my car usually idles at 550-650

Comment

lowest is 650.... highest is 1,000... most all cars idle around 800 to 900.... so give or take whatever go around 800 to 900 rpm....

Comment

now that we have everyone's educated opinion, could I get a little justification or knowledge behind the scenes?

what are the ramifications of a lower/higher idle?

fwiw, I'm probably going to bring mine up to 650-700...I like the low idle.
            91 EX F22A4 - Stock w/ 220k mi
            My Ride - 12/06

Comment

I over adjusted mine a while back and I almost lost power everytime I stopped. I dont recall what RPM I was running at Idle but the lights dimmed, and the engine seemed to almost spudder to a halt when I got on the brakes. Later

Comment

Its on the emissions sticker on the underside of the hood. No guessing there.

550+/-50 with IACV bypassed, 750+/-50 with IACV connected.

Mines right at 750 according to my portable tach.

edit:my bad...its 700+/-50 with the IACV connected.
                Last edited by Otto; 02-07-2007, 04:54 PM.
                Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

650-750 is about right for our stock vehicle specification. When its too low you will know the car will try to stay on and keep on wanting to cut off.

The New-ish Ride
                  My old Ride
                  Hear my Vtak!!!
                  MK3 Member #3
                  I piss off people for fun.
                  IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

to be honest, the idle shouldn't be adjusted as it's set from the factory. they even put a dab of thread lock to keep it from moving around. if the car doesn't idle right, it's not the idle screw, it's some other problem. later.
                    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

vaccume leaks will cause this too pain in the ass to track down too. see if there might be a leak somewhere. get a mechanics stethoscope. makes tracking the leaks easier.

she is down....but definately not out

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
                        to be honest, the idle shouldn't be adjusted as it's set from the factory. they even put a dab of thread lock to keep it from moving around. if the car doesn't idle right, it's not the idle screw, it's some other problem. later.
                        True...better to fix what's causing the bad idle, then adjusting to compensate. Unless engine mods warrant it, of course.
                        Mine did need a slight adjustment, but it had never been adjust before then, and probably won't need to be adjusted again.
                        Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

yea, but with everything on our cbs it is a biotch to find the problems

she is down....but definately not out

Comment

lower idle - less fuel usage

higher idle - less vibration at stop lights(mostly auto users would be concerned about this)

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                            where you been, is something wrong?
                            i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by jova1993cb
                              vaccume leaks will cause this too pain in the ass to track down too. see if there might be a leak somewhere. get a mechanics stethoscope. makes tracking the leaks easier.
                              Actually, tracking a vaccum leak is not hard to find, best trick is using propane with a nozzle, turn it on just enough to where it flows out of the tip(you will see the gas coming out of it). Take that and run it along your vaccum lines, once you hear your car idle faster, you have pinpointed the "leak" (hole). I've done this to many cars when I was in high school fixing other peoples cars that had a problem with their vaccum lines, and it has worked every time to know which line needs to be replaced.

Comment

Working...
                              X