Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Car takes 3 to4 tries to get started in the cold, help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car takes 3 to4 tries to get started in the cold, help!

This is so annoying! I have a 93 exr, and I recently noticed that in cold temps like below 32, the car takes 3 to 4 tries to get started, and even then it barely starts, I need to gas it up a bit to maintain it.

Also the the started just started making a wierd noise while working. Its a wierd "whoop whoop whoop" sound thats sour of like a police siren. It doesnt sound like a normal starter cranking.

Its definately coming from the started because I cranked it after it was started and if made the same noise.

Does this thing have a cold start injector?? because my mr2 does the same thing in the cold (multiple attempts to start in cold) and I never got that fixed, but the mr2 forums said that the CSI might be bad.

How much would it cost if these cars have those?

Sorry for making so many threads.
    Last edited by Mjfan12; 01-20-2007, 12:55 PM.
    1993 Honda Accord EX-R Coupe Granada Black Pearl
    ///Alpine CDA-9847 Head Unit
    OBX Pedals, stock air box, Ebay headers, Stock dual tipped muffler. Emblems removed, grill chrome painted black.

1993 Kawasaki EX500 Flat Black. First Bike.

fuel pump maybe? next time try gonig to the 2nd key position and let the system prime up for a bit, then start it and see if it makes a difference.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

might want to invest in a better battery as well....

Comment

No, they don't have cold start injectors, it could be your fuel pump, battery, starter, IAC, cold start-high idle solenoid, main relay.

Fuel pump: do you hear it running for 2 seconds when you switch the ignition on? If not, you may have a bad main relay, or bad pump.

Battery: voltage with car switched off should be no lower than 12.

Starter: Is it smoking or making odd noises? If your battery tests out to be good, and your engine is turning over slowly, it could be the starter.

IAC: controls air intake at idle, could be why you need to press the throttle a little when starting. it could be stuck or working improperly

CS-HI: it increases rpm's after a cold start to warm the engine quicker and get everything to operating temp. it could also be stuck or working improperly.
        My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie
          might want to invest in a better battery as well....
          x2 I would think you need more cranking amps.... I always pays to have more amps in cold areas....

My Members Ride Thread ( Do It )

Comment

unplug and plug back in your main relay, wen you unplug it, everything would reset, when you turn the key so that all the lights are on before starting the car, try to hear for the fuel pump engaging, its like a little whining noise, also if u want to invest in an external coil, that would help startups because my car would crank in the cold b4 it starts when i was running with the stock coil. they are like 70 bucks on ebay for the msd brand or go 2 teh auto stores and gather what you need for them. it starts the car right away no hesitations,
            1990 Accord EX Sold
            1995 Accord LX V6 Stored
            1999 Accord LX Daily Driver

Comment

also go 2 strauss or autozone and have them recharge your battery, or get a new one
              1990 Accord EX Sold
              1995 Accord LX V6 Stored
              1999 Accord LX Daily Driver

Comment

Originally posted by NYKnick1015
                also go 2 strauss or autozone and have them recharge your battery, or get a new one
                get the test first... may have a few bad cells.....

My Members Ride Thread ( Do It )

Comment

This issue only occurs during intial cold start up. once its started and warms up, then I shut it off, and start again, and its perfect. so the starter doesnt seem to be bad, but I'll get it tested.

In warmer temps 40 plus it starts fine on one turn of the key, but there is a slight 2 or 3 second hesitation. Doesnt start right away like theyre supposed to.

I have a radioshack tester that just has red, green and yellow lights to see the state of the battery and it read yellow, but until a couple of days ago, I never drove the car, it has been just sitting outside. I started it periodically to keep the battery charged.

I didnt know to listen for the fuel pump, this occurs during starts only?

thanks for the relpies, I'll check some of these things out and let you know.

The previous owner just bought the battery from autozone a few months ago and it has a 5 year warranty, but I dont know if they will accept a transfer of coverage.
                  I'll buy a new one if I have to, but I'd rather get a free replacement.
                  1993 Honda Accord EX-R Coupe Granada Black Pearl
                  ///Alpine CDA-9847 Head Unit
                  OBX Pedals, stock air box, Ebay headers, Stock dual tipped muffler. Emblems removed, grill chrome painted black.

1993 Kawasaki EX500 Flat Black. First Bike.

Comment

I had the exact same problem and i changed the Temperature sensor below the dizzy and now it starts at the 1st try. Change the sensor.

Big 16g Turbo/H23 Head Swap/TSX Projectors

Comment

Originally posted by haccord992h
                      I had the exact same problem and i changed the Temperature sensor below the dizzy and now it starts at the 1st try. Change the sensor.
                      ...Doesnt sound like thats his problem at all in his situation.

The New-ish Ride
                      My old Ride
                      Hear my Vtak!!!
                      MK3 Member #3
                      I piss off people for fun.
                      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by Mjfan12

I didnt know to listen for the fuel pump, this occurs during starts only?

yes ....your listening for the fuel pump to become primed....its like a click/wirring sound...just click the key over to power(not start) and you should hear it...itll stand out.

Comment

I Think it might be a sensor also because on a cold start mine does the same thing then the rest of the day its fine. I'm sayin Its exact cuz my filter isn't actin up but just somethin to look into.

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                            ...Doesnt sound like thats his problem at all in his situation.
                            Worked for me on my 2 cb7.

MJfan do you have a CEL when the car is cold ?

Big 16g Turbo/H23 Head Swap/TSX Projectors

Comment

Originally posted by F22NVtec
                              I Think it might be a sensor also because on a cold start mine does the same thing then the rest of the day its fine. I'm sayin Its exact cuz my filter isn't actin up but just somethin to look into.

holy shit your car is MINT for that many miles or is that kilometers wow!
                              ]

Comment

Working...
                              X