Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

winter tires , what sizes can i use ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about for ice? You would think wider would be better for ice... so like something in between? sorry not trying to thread jack!
    Lois: Oh, I haven't been on a college campus in years. Everything seems so different.
    Stewie: Really? Perhaps if you laid on your back with your ankles behind your ears that would ring a few bells.

Comment

Originally posted by fonzee_92
      I guess i am going with p185/75/r14 wintertrac tires and getting them studded for icy conditions.

thank for the info, love wiki. wintertrac w/studs sound good for my honda, it legal here in sault ste marie, ontario canada.
      ahah nice nice, many i dunno how TO would like it if we all started to drive with studded tires, cept they pour enough salt, potassium chloride and sand on the groud to kill the northern hemmishpere and cause a flood let alone kill my car. Thank you for oil sprays =
      1990 Accord EX -Stock to no beyond
      Originally posted by yeamans17
      you'd better soak the nuts in pb blaster, otherwise you'll snap them off
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those that mind, don't matter" - Dr.Susses

Vouch - | gloryaccordy | aznkid.com |

Comment

a 155 tire would be like driving on a spare 'donut', and I think that the proper tire size for 14" is 185/70-14.

1992 Honda Accord Coupe LX

Comment

185/70/14 is the narrowest recommended for that year Accord that still has enough air between you and the pavement... and was the stock setup on the LX and below, I think.

I just bought some 14" Motegi MR-7's for winter to replace the old factory steel wheels, and I have to say I'm pretty happy. I bought them at a local tire chain, but I also saw them at Sears Auto Center. I'm not sure if the warranty will be good if I drive them in winter, but I'd rather live in the moment and have a decent looking ride

As far as tires, I'll go with the conventional wisdom that official snow tires would be the safest bet, especially studded. I've never driven studded tires, so I wouldn't know how much advantage they give... However, I'm a pretty good driver in snow. I can get away with all season radials, but can't guarantee you can do the same. I go with all season radials mostly because I drive 50-80 miles a day, and I wouldn't get much for my money if I had to buy snow tires every year or two, their rated mileage is much lower. I just make sure I get something with a fairly aggressive (at least average) tread, because I live on a fairly steep hill. This year, I went with Kelly Explorer tires.

Doing a little research for this post, I went on the Kelly web site, and it gives 1 to 10 ratings for snow traction, wet traction, etc... for each model of tire. I see my Explorers are rated a 4 in the snow... but the guy who sold them to me said they'd be a lot better than "the cheapest" all season radial. I wonder if other companies have similar ratings to compare traction? In the past, I've always bought whatever was the cheapest all season radial, and I haven't crashed yet. This year, I took a step or two up tire wise, and stayed with the same 185/70/14 footprint to stay nice and narrow for my winter tires, so I should be good. And the Motegi rims still look decent, much better than the boring factory steel wheels with covers.

The EX model, and I think it was optional for other levels... had 15", wider tires... that extra width makes a big negative difference if you've got hills to climb in the snow. Two Thanksgivings ago, my '93 Accord made it out of the driveway after dinner, and some of the other guests with wider 15" alloy wheels (including a 2000-something Accord) were stuck until the driveway could be plowed out (and they even had newer tires than I did).

Okay, enough rambling...
          Last edited by do2mind; 11-26-2006, 07:29 AM.

Comment

I'd get 185's. I had 205 15's and swapped to 185 14's and noticed a DISTINCT difference in winter capability. like night and day. i used to get stuck on an inch of snow just trying to go anywhere, but on the 185's. nothing stopped me. as long as i wasn't stupid like some of the people i knew. 'hey, i see a 4 foot drift. i can get thru that.' putz. plus, if ya get true winter tires, it'll be even better. just my $.02.
            If you're gonna go, go with a smile!
            Current vehicles: 2006 Pacifica Touring Inferno Red (the Wife's) - 30k
            1993 Accord EX - optima 'red top' battery, magnaflow exhaust, tinted windows - My $500 ride w/ 217k miles
            2004 Suzuki GSXR750 - Racetech sus f/r. Dunlop Qualifiers. clear Puig DB screen. my drug - 7500 miles

Comment

if i want to compare tire ratings, i just go to the tire rack.com. they got quite a few to compare. i've been doing that for a while and haven't been displeased yet. of course they are not perfect, but they have definitely got me in the ballpark. i just bought Potenza P009. love em! great all around tire. much better than the hard as a rock 'Badyears'. sliding all over the place, but not anymore. woohooo!
              If you're gonna go, go with a smile!
              Current vehicles: 2006 Pacifica Touring Inferno Red (the Wife's) - 30k
              1993 Accord EX - optima 'red top' battery, magnaflow exhaust, tinted windows - My $500 ride w/ 217k miles
              2004 Suzuki GSXR750 - Racetech sus f/r. Dunlop Qualifiers. clear Puig DB screen. my drug - 7500 miles

Comment

tires...

Very happy with the Kelly Explorer tires for handling in snow, as far as all season radials go, the best I've driven on.

Comment

Working...
                X