Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

short ram intake or cold air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

short ram intake or cold air

what is the difference between the two short ram intake and cold air intake? is one better?

All depends on personal preference, and climate. Short Ram has the filter in the engine bay (by the battery) and the CAI has the filter in the bumper area (behind the passanger bumper lens)

Do a search, there are ALOT of threads on this...

Comment

ok thanks.

Comment

look for my thread. i beleive its called short ram Vs. cold air.
        but you gotta search dawgg!
        95 accord 5-speed green coupe SOLD!
        93 H22 PRELUDE 5spd si Black

I have a JWhite retro, Do you?
        fghgfhf

Comment

If you run the risk of running thru big deep puddles i wouldnt do cold air

Comment

difference? dont worry about going to another thread. ill stop it right here. lol

short ram: better thottle response since the air doesnt have have all that tubing to go thru. but you get more TQ on the low end(low-mid) RPM range

cold air: get better numbers due to the fact that its sucking in "cold air" from behind the bumper. but you lose some of the low-mid range power b/c it has the suck up the air from the bumper. so it has more traveling to do.

correct me if im wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow1
              difference? dont worry about going to another thread. ill stop it right here. lol

short ram: better thottle response since the air doesnt have have all that tubing to go thru. but you get more TQ on the low end(low-mid) RPM range

cold air: get better numbers due to the fact that its sucking in "cold air" from behind the bumper. but you lose some of the low-mid range power b/c it has the suck up the air from the bumper. so it has more traveling to do.

correct me if im wrong
              Also I know the cold air requires some cutting in the engine bay also.
              "You are part of a great thing. Live for it, Talk for it and dream for it."
              "A friend is someone who will be there when the rest of the world walks out on you!"

"People who toy with others hearts...are only unhappy in their own lives."

Comment

Originally posted by SoCqT08
                Also I know the cold air requires some cutting in the engine bay also.

sure does. have to move the battery or route it to go thru under it. im sorry but ill stick with my short ram

Comment

Shadow1's first post seems to be the concensus of their differences.

The stock intake can easily be modified for short-ram (you can find several examples iaround the forums), or cold-air (I would like to do a short write-up/guide for it, never heard/see it done).
                  May not be quite the same as an aftermarket kit. But hey, its free, or usually very cheap.

I turned mine to cold-air by simply cutting off the large box portion of the intake silencer (inside fender) and plugging the front of the tube that originally sucked in air. Brings air in from the same location as the cold-air kits *shrugs*. I dunno if it works as well as a kit, but it sure was cheaper.
                  Perhaps if you could find dyno sheets of each: cold-air and short-ram aftermarket, and each type using a modified stock intake. Would be interesting.
                  Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

short ram : you and others hear the whistle as you opn butterfly plate in throttle body from under hood or....

CAI: you and others on road here the opening of throttle body plate coming from your bumper.

you chose aoh yeah and all those are good too from above
                    My other ride is your ex-wife

Comment

shadow is somewhat right about throttle response and what not but he forgot the key factor behind your choice between cold air and short ram.

Short ram does have shorter tubing yes, less distance to travel, BUT its located inside of the bay, incase you havent noticed its hot in there.

Cold Air Intake, well its in the name, cold air, your engine runs off a mix of air and fuel. Cold air is much denser than hot air.

So cold air = more air in the same space, hot air = hot air. So if you can get cooler air to your engine your going to be burning more oxygen over short ram.

the only drawback as mentioned is if your going through a puddle and u submerge your tubing/filter... but there is a item called a air bypass valve seen in the pic below, its the peice in the middle of the tubing (you have to cut the tubing in half to use it)

hope i helped with your decision

Member Ride Facebook
                      XBOX LIVE = RedDragonsFool
                      SOLD MY CB JUNE 16, 2009
                      For Sale Thread

Comment

Originally posted by UrDoneSRH
                        shadow is somewhat right about throttle response and what not but he forgot the key factor behind your choice between cold air and short ram.

Short ram does have shorter tubing yes, less distance to travel, BUT its located inside of the bay, incase you havent noticed its hot in there.

Cold Air Intake, well its in the name, cold air, your engine runs off a mix of air and fuel. Cold air is much denser than hot air.

So cold air = more air in the same space, hot air = hot air. So if you can get cooler air to your engine your going to be burning more oxygen over short ram.

the only drawback as mentioned is if your going through a puddle and u submerge your tubing/filter... but there is a item called a air bypass valve seen in the pic below, its the peice in the middle of the tubing (you have to cut the tubing in half to use it)

hope i helped with your decision
                        i forgot about that man. thanx

Comment

no trouble, always try to help a fellow tuner

Member Ride Facebook
                          SOLD MY CB JUNE 16, 2009
                          For Sale Thread

Comment

alls ive got to say is get a cone filter and a fucking bean can.
                            ]

Comment

lol......... itll work

Member Ride Facebook
                              SOLD MY CB JUNE 16, 2009
                              For Sale Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X