Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

faint ticking noise from under engine cover when engines runs ??timing or valves ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

faint ticking noise from under engine cover when engines runs ??timing or valves ?

1992 honda accord lx , 340 000 km's on it.

I hear this faint ticking noise when engine it runs..at idle or giving it gas, under engine cover, when i feel it by hand. Is it the normal ticking noise from a honda ?
    matter of fact,
    2 months ago, I changed gasket seal from engine cover and the o-ring seal in the between engine and distributor part. leaking oil in that area solved it ! great.

could the timing be off, i notched it on the metal to align it back on the same place... ???

or could it be valve lash needing adjustment, how can i tell what it is ?

How are your oil levels. A soft ticking is something all hondas do they are notorious for that. If its bad you can try a valve adjustment and see if that takes out the sound.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

thanks nail05,

could it be so that i just didn't hear it , when purchasing the car ?
      now i hear it , now months later ??

I'll check oil level, and when should i be concerned if noise become louder, i guess right ?

Comment

my vars doing the same thing and its the valves

Comment

could be your injectors

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

its your valves, one thing you can do is get thicker oil.

Comment

Sounds like the notorious Honda tick.

Comment

Sounds like a normal honda tick, but then again I got a package from iraq that had a faint ticking. At first I thought it was the notorious honda tick, but it turned out to be a bomb and I died.

The moral of the story is to ignore it. Hondas have a loose tolernce in the valve train. Like AK47s it is a advantage to have loose tolerences. If you dont like the sound have it adjusted, might not even go away. Its about a 50% chance that adjusting the valve lash would actualy stop the ticking.
                I cant Slam further. The ground refuses to get any lower.

Comment

Don't be surprised if it is a little louder for a while after you have it adjusted.

There is always a little bit of tick in a healthy Honda valvetrain. Partly because of the way they work, and partly because there is no hydraulic adjustment.
                  The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

LMFAO, Akira_kj is off the hook! hahaha!

A wise car person will do valve adjustment once a year, but hey, who is wise nowadays?
                    ...Well, i consider owequitit pretty wise...

If you are going to tackle this yourself, make sure you have the proper tools and the online manual that tells you how...
                    .010" for the Intake and .012" Exhaust is how mine came out when i did it earlier in the year.

You can live with it if the "ticking" isn't THAT loud. Everyone is right though, Honda motors tend to "tick" like this, even though there is no need to do an adjustment. Perhaps you can shoot a little video/sound clip on HOW loud it really is?

good luck!

1990 Accord Lx F22a1(Daily) SOLD - will be missed
                    1990 Prelude Si B21a1 (Fun car!)

Comment

Originally posted by Accord13&BA4
                      LMFAO, Akira_kj is off the hook! hahaha!

A wise car person will do valve adjustment once a year, but hey, who is wise nowadays?
                      ...Well, i consider owequitit pretty wise...

If you are going to tackle this yourself, make sure you have the proper tools and the online manual that tells you how...
                      .010" for the Intake and .012" Exhaust is how mine came out when i did it earlier in the year.

You can live with it if the "ticking" isn't THAT loud. Everyone is right though, Honda motors tend to "tick" like this, even though there is no need to do an adjustment. Perhaps you can shoot a little video/sound clip on HOW loud it really is?

good luck!
                      Thanks!

The actual inspection interval is 15K miles. They don't necessarily need adjusted every time, if they are in spec, but if you run the car really hard, there is always the chance they will need it more than every 15k.

If you monitor your gas mileage carefully, it will typically stay steady and then start to increase noticably. It will increase to a point and then suddenly nose dive. That is usually a good indication it is time.

You will notice more low end torque with them properly adjusted as well as smoother running, and a healthier sound from the intake/exhaust, not to mention better mileage than if they are way out.

If you don't rape it like I do, you will probably be ok at an inspection interval of 15K miles.

Extreme heat cycling, such as in an engine, causes a phenomenon known as creep. Basically every time you heat metal it expands (like pretty much everything except water). When it cools back down, it goes back down to its original size, mostly. Over time, the metal will actually grow a little bit, resulting in tighter valve clearances.

That is mainly why they require periodic adjustment. It is also one of many reasons that lots of short driving puts the car in the "severe" maintenance category. The valves are heating up and cooling down a lot, but you aren't travelling as many miles, which in turn makes adjustment more frequent in terms of miles driven.

It seems to get a little worse with mileage too, which makes sense I guess.
                      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

My car aslo ticks, it ticks for like the first 5 minuts of running and then stops. When I'm parked I don't hear it, it's only when I push on the gas while driving. I hear it the most between 2,000 and 2,500 rpm's , after that it gets drowned out by the lovely sound of the engine . I have thicker(10w-30) oil in there and that doesn't change the ticking. Could it just be knocking caused by poor fuel atomization? I'll put some good fuel injector cleaner through it and use premium gas, maybe that'll help. What do you guys think?

H22 Fund Cancelled. Flight training underway.

Comment

My engine ticks a little between 1,500 and 3,000 rpm's after I first start it and when the car is in gear, for example after I get off work then drive home I hear it. But if I let it warm up for like 5-10 minutes like I did today before school then it doesn't tick. Also I notice that it's not accelerating like it was last year when I got it, would a valve adjustment quite the engine down and maybe restore that lost power? How much are they? $100 $200?

H22 Fund Cancelled. Flight training underway.

Comment

check your belts, mine were falling apart on the pulleys and it caused a ticking noise, just a thought.
                            Driving before toke:
                            Driving after toke:

Promote friendly driving, Toke!

www.myspace.com/fzzy285

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteve_dan
                              My engine ticks a little between 1,500 and 3,000 rpm's after I first start it and when the car is in gear, for example after I get off work then drive home I hear it. But if I let it warm up for like 5-10 minutes like I did today before school then it doesn't tick. Also I notice that it's not accelerating like it was last year when I got it, would a valve adjustment quite the engine down and maybe restore that lost power? How much are they? $100 $200?
                              Mine does that too, but also when its in park. I was wondering about this too.

Comment

Working...
                              X