Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Rear suspension swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear suspension swap

Hi, I'm new to this forum.
    I've joined because I would like to do the rear suspension drum-to-disc swap which is described very nicely in this thread -
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=661501

I've contacted a local salvage yard and they have both sides of a 96 or 97 Accord EXR available, MINUS the emergency brake cables. They think they can find the cross memeber that goes with it.

The problem is that the person I'm communicating with has contacted Honda and another place and they both say that the assembly will not fit on my 92 LX without "other modifications", as well - something about having to get new struts, I think.

So the question I have is simple. Will the left and right trailing-arm/knuckle/rotor/caliper units from a 96 or 97 Accord EXR fit my 92 Accord LX without modification to either my car or the 97 units?

Thanks for the help.

(One bump only.)

Anyone?

Comment

well man.... to be honest i dont know from experience..... but from what i have read it is all interchangable..... from 90-97..... but like i said im not sure....
      Myspace.com/bobster3825

Comment

what is an exr? i only know of dx lx ex v6 and se trims for the 5th gen accord in the us. how much for the parts?
        spin city

Comment

"EX-R" is a Canadian model. Doesn't matter.

Tony --- please update your profile so that it shows your location (Québec/Toronto/whatever) under your username.

It's weird that the one thing they mentioned is the rear shock, when that "for sure" is the same. I mean if you look at shocks, they mostly say "90-97" Accord ... the rest are likely OK, just ask to confirm what the concern is.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I've updated my profile to reflect my location and the fact that I'm retired. Although I can well afford a new car, because I'm a tall person, I am not comfortable in any of the new Hondas.

I really like the legroom of our 92 and it still runs and looks great, so I'm "paying myself" rather than Honda to bring it mechanically back to like-new condition.

The rear brakes have never been very good on our car, so I was very interested in this conversion.

But yesterday my wife and I bled the rear brakes, and the result is that the car's braking performance has improved tremendously - to the point where I can no longer justify to myself doing the conversion.

Regardless, I'll answer a couple of the questions which were asked - maybe it might be useful to some other Canadians.

The salvage yard wants $280 for both sides. Again, this is everything included and still "together", but with NO emergency cables. Presumably, one could go to another salvage yard and find a set of cables, but of course this adds to the total cost.

When I talked to the person at the salvage yard about it, he told me in the most general of terms that the 97 parts would not fit on our 92 without modifications to our car. In passing he mentioned the rear strut as a possible culprit in the swap, but there may have been other things (at least in his own mind), as well.

But, quite frankly, I would not take anything the salvage yard said very seriously. From everything I've read here, and now being reinforced in this thread, I'm willing to bet that it would be a simple swap with NO modifications necessary to anything. If I were still interested in doing this job, at this point I'd just drive to the salvage yard, jack up the back end of our car, remove a wheel, and compare the parts with my own eyes.

In a way I'm kind of sorry that I'm not going forward with the project, but, as I said, the car stops very well now and I cannot justify the effort and expense of doing the swap just to improve braking marginally.

Thank you all very much for taking the trouble to post.

Ever since I rencently discovered it, I very much enjoy this site.

Comment

Truthfully, you'd do better to upgrade your front brakes. I've ridden in cars with drums and I have discs in the back, and honestly it's all the same stuff. The front does the bulk of the braking anyway.

Originally posted by lordoja
              im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
                Truthfully, you'd do better to upgrade your front brakes. I've ridden in cars with drums and I have discs in the back, and honestly it's all the same stuff. The front does the bulk of the braking anyway.
                But if you're completely taking apart the back to do it...it's probably roughly the same price to redo the brakes. Why not upgrade while you're in there? My mechanic wants 350+ to overhaul my drums. It's $75/side local for the disc conversion. Even with new pads/rotors/caliper rebuild kits/dinner for friends, I'm still looking at lower than the repair cost.

However, if the prices are much different, than no its probably not worth it.

EDIT: But you're right, the front is where you want to put your money as far as upgrading the pads/rotors to better quality pieces. It's just why not throw the disc on there while you're at it?

Comment

Working...
                X