Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Underdrive Pulley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Underdrive Pulley

I was checking on E-Bay for fun and I saw some lightweight Underdrive pulley and that say 7-10 more HP (OK i know on E-Bay all give 7-10Hp check SRI 8-15hp lol)
    How can a pulley give some hp (maybe 1 or 2 max) and is this worth to change the OEM one for a lightweight one from E-Bay ???

maybe a marketing gimmick? you know something to get your attention.

actually i don't even know what an underdrive pulley is.

Comment

Underdrive pulleys, especially the crank pulley (usually lightweight and smaller diameter) DO increase power. Alternator and Power Steering pulleys are also made, but they don't do as much.

However, ebay pulleys, compared to more expensive ones like Unorthodox Racing, may be dangerous. To put a potentially unbalanced pulley on, you run the risk of seriously damaging your engine. If you're looking to get an underdrive pulley, I would spend the money for Unorthodox Racing. I've been running one on my H22 for over 2 years with absolutely no problems. Some people feel that they can cause damage, but my experience says otherwise.

Comment

Had a thread just like this last week. Hopefully it'll answer all your questions

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=53217
        Originally posted by DoctorCipher
        ...the beginner forum was created to provide a place for all the stupid ass questions to pile up and fester, kind of like huge globs of mayonnaise left in the sun for weeks at a time.

Comment

i actualy just got one last week its a difference nothing huge
          U dont work U dont eat
          U dont grind Udont shine
          1st car 90 CB7 lx auto coupe
          present car 90 CB7 ex clutch coupe
          1st motor f22a1 2nd motor f22a4 present motor JDM H22a with m2b4 trans

Comment

Even a 10hp gain isn't something you're really going to notice. If you're REALLY in tune with your car, maybe... but most of it will be in your imagination.

Comment

a lighter pulley can gain u hp cuz its less weight it has to turn when the crank turns, thats why people with "race" or "track" cars will run the least amount of acessories or will have a shut off to their alternator, ur alternator will rob u off like 5hp or more in some cases believe it or not

Comment

Originally posted by kslice88
                a lighter pulley can gain u hp cuz its less weight it has to turn when the crank turns, thats why people with "race" or "track" cars will run the least amount of acessories or will have a shut off to their alternator, ur alternator will rob u off like 5hp or more in some cases believe it or not

But what works in a track car doesn't always work in a street car. I strongly feel risking the motor for a 2-5 hp gain isn't worth it. Most lightweight pulley applications are on race cars, who's motors only have to last a few hours, not thousands of miles like our street cars.

Comment

underdrive pullies will def get u power upwards of 10-15hp with the entire set of pullies(depending on condition of engine) the only thing u want to worry bout it getting a good lightweight pulley like Unorthodox Racing (UR). there is no eveidence or at least no credible evidence to support that underdrive pullies damage cars.....its the fools that beat the cars after getting the pullies thaty ruin their cars, not the pullies themselves. just bc u have a lightweight pulley doesn't mean u can rev it to 7k. i've been running my UR pullies for at least 1 year now or over 35k miles and there are NO issues.
                  My members ride thread

Comment

Yessir pulleys are supposed to lessen parasitic drag caused by rotating components. You will rev free'er you wont feel the power increase as I didnt but the engine revs free'er and it DOES NOT mean you can rev to 7k as mentioned.

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    I piss off people for fun.
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by accrdpower
                      underdrive pullies will def get u power upwards of 10-15hp with the entire set of pullies(depending on condition of engine) the only thing u want to worry bout it getting a good lightweight pulley like Unorthodox Racing (UR).
                      There's no way you're getting that much power on a 4cyl with those pulleys. You might see maybe 6-7 crank, but 10-15?...then how much do you get off an intake? 20?

You could debate the underdrive pulley situation til you're blue in the face. I've read enough testimonials about people screwing up their oiling systems with underdrives to decide its just not worth it to risk it, and that's the advice that I give people. If you disagree, cool, but there's enough credible evidence to show that you can have issues running an underdrive...but if you know that and run it anyways, more power to you, maybe you will be one of the lucky people that don't have issues.

If I was going underdrive, I'd go fluidampr, because they are built correctly for our motors.

Comment

Agreed - If you *must* go underdrive, use a properly damped pully - like the FluidDampr.

Bottom line, Unless you are racing (ie sustains 6k rpm +) , underdrives simply are not worth it, and even then, it is better to just remove the a/c, p/s, or other accesorice than under-driving it.

Underdrives:
                        1. do NOT reduce engine wear (unless properly damped, but even then it is no improvement over a stock damped pulley)
                        2. they do not increase power (they reduce parasitic losses at high rpms),
                        3. are ricer bling (what more reason do you need to avoid them???)
                        4. undamped pulleys *do* damage unbalanced engines (ie, most 4 cycl engines!)

anyway...

Comment

the "power" gain u will get isnt worth what ur gonna pay for the pulleys, unless ur gonna build ur motor, u wont feel the 6-7 or even 10 hp that u might get. thata just what i think. its ur car

Comment

If you you do deside to get some make shure there quality my cousin bought a civic and it cept eatin belts becase the pully wasnt made well it had a "slight wobble" as we were told

Comment

yes some car have messed up their oil systems like i think it was fast93accrd or someone on cb7tuner but when u build a powerful engine and don't upgrade the oil system then u deserve to have the stock crappy oil pump blow on ya. and the engines are internaly balanced. and yes we each have our own experiences. but no one i have seen/helped install underdrive pullies have had any issues and i have helped too many. i respect that some are hesitant to use them and thats fine by me. but if u do your research b4 hand on the topic it clearly states that some oil pumps need to be upgraded bc of the low grade material used by the factory. but it's the best mod i have done so far with the best gains. and how is something that is meant for power/increase efficiency RICE????? whoever said that statement needs to seriously rethink that bc he called everyone on this forum a ricer bc they modify their engines to create more power/efficiency. lol wow

btw reading testimonials means jack. it actual experience that really counts. just my opinion. many people base their statements on everything but first hand experience and will die defending their point even though they know nothing personaly about it. i am not saying you are basing ur opinion on bs accordwarrior bc i know ur pretty knowledgable but don't base what u say on 2nd,3rd,4th hand knowledge. use your own. ur smart, i know u got it.
                              Last edited by accrdpower; 08-15-2006, 03:18 PM.
                              My members ride thread

Comment

Working...
                              X