Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

How to get better mpg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get better mpg

My 91 lx auto wagon is topped out at 23 mpg and I'd like to get a little more out of it. I currently have a short ram intake, 7mm double silicone wires, new 8 gauge grounds, 640 cold amps battery, stripped cat, platnium 4 tips, full tune up & oil change. Ignition timing is okay I think, its in between. Maybe switching to Split Fire plugs and 8mm wires?
    89 Acura Integra 1.6 LSt (Daddy's Boost Toy)
    94 Honda Accord 2.2 EX (Daily For Now)
    04 Chevy Suburban 5.3 LT (Kiddie Haulin Pimpness)

you should be using stock ngk zr5f-11 plugs, and stock honda wires. also make sure your tires are properly inglated and you o2 sensor is good. it should be noted that the cars only rated at 22 mpg in the city so your actualy pretty good

My Members Ride Page

Comment

Originally posted by Stealthman80
      you should be using stock ngk zr5f-11 plugs, and stock honda wires. also make sure your tires are properly inglated and you o2 sensor is good. it should be noted that the cars only rated at 22 mpg in the city so your actualy pretty good
      Alignment is good. I had it done after repairing the front end. I bought the wagon front end'd hard in a auction. O2 I don't know but wouldn't it throw a code if it was bad? I guess I should ditch the platnium 4 tips, I thought they would help with the fuel economy. My acura gets 29mpg using splitfires.
      89 Acura Integra 1.6 LSt (Daddy's Boost Toy)
      94 Honda Accord 2.2 EX (Daily For Now)
      04 Chevy Suburban 5.3 LT (Kiddie Haulin Pimpness)

Comment

I'd go back to the stock plugs and wires....... 23 mpg is great. i need to figure out what i'm getting...
        -- Suspension Techniques front/rear anti-sway bars --front/rear strut tower bars --
        -- DC Sports rear tie bar -- Tokico HP series -- Eibach Pro-Kit -- AEM cai --
        -- Neuspeed short shifter -- oem SEIBON carbon fiber hood --
        ..DIY Maplight . DIY Blackhoused Headlamps . Hushmat (Trunk.4 Doors.Rear Deck)..

Comment

I'm getting nothing close to that.....
          1993 Accord LX - Sold
          93 BMW 525it - SOLD
          92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
          2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
          2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
          2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
          2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
          2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

i get 26mpg with tons of racing and 31mpg on the highway.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Intake and exhaust mods decrease fuel economy unless you tune the ECU... at least that's been my experience.

The hollow cat is doing NOTHING to help you either... it's probably hurting power and economy, in fact.

Platinum 4s gave me crappy mpg too. They suck. I just use NGK Irridiums and NKG blue wires. I'm getting 28-32 with some hard driving.

Comment

the platinum plugs are fine...although they work for some f22's and not for others. honda wires have a lil more resistance than some aftermarket wires so find some better wires with the least resistance (i have msd superconductor wires). bigger is not better in this case but resistance is the key. here is a list of things to do/check to increase mileage:

oil change
                change fuel filter
                get better wires
                check plugs
                make sure air filter is clean
                get ground wire kit
                check for air in coolant/flush if need be
                change cap and rotor if need be
                test battery
                run seafoam in IM and put 1/2pint in gas tank
                clean out IACV
                clean EGR/remove and put block plate on
                check and change tranny fluid if needed
                adjust idle to specs
                clean out TB
                check O2 sensor
                get new cat
                check for proper tire inflation
                get alignment
                don't drive like a maniac

with all the engine mods i have done, i have increased my MPG on average 10-12. i used to get 19-23mpg. now i get 28-32 sometimes even more. it's the basic maintenance and the lil performance mods that make such a big difference.
                My members ride thread

Comment

^^^Nice list. But do i really need a ground kit to get better mpg? Curious to know how that helps.
                  Vouches: Bruno8747, 1badwag, Excalibur02, Bliz07, Slick, Gloryaccordy, H23CB7.

Comment

Guttin the cat disrupts exhaust flow. Ease off the pedal, keep your revs down, do proper maintenance you should be good.

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    I piss off people for fun.
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

alignment is pretty important. AFter I lowered my car, I didn't get alignment till like 4-5 months later, and it really helped me. I could definitely tell how the car was easier to steer.
                      Yeah, Preludes

Originally posted by deevergote.
                      Why can't people just search OT to see if someone else posted the same random thread?

Comment

Originally posted by kmart64
                        alignment is pretty important. AFter I lowered my car, I didn't get alignment till like 4-5 months later, and it really helped me. I could definitely tell how the car was easier to steer.
                        True and dont forget to keep your tire pressure correct too that will help out.

The New-ish Ride
                        My old Ride
                        Hear my Vtak!!!
                        MK3 Member #3
                        I piss off people for fun.
                        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                          True and dont forget to keep your tire pressure correct too that will help out.

This helps more than people realize. Fill them up to the full "cold inflation" amount. This will reduce the size of your contact patch, or the amount of rolling resistance on the the road.

Possible other things to check:

Are your brakes dragging?
                          Run some concentrated injector cleaner through. Maybe back to back fill ups.
                          Valve adjustment.
                          Is your wag full when you driving? Get rid of the stuff you don't use.
                          Otherwise, there are some very good suggestion listed above.

Good luck.
                          WTB - IACV for H22a4.

FS: 1993 CB9 w/H22a4 and much, much more.

PM or email with inquiries.
                          Vouch Thread

Comment

Originally posted by accrdpower
                            the platinum plugs are fine...although they work for some f22's and not for others. honda wires have a lil more resistance than some aftermarket wires so find some better wires with the least resistance (i have msd superconductor wires). bigger is not better in this case but resistance is the key. here is a list of things to do/check to increase mileage:

oil change
                            change fuel filter
                            get better wires
                            check plugs
                            make sure air filter is clean
                            get ground wire kit
                            check for air in coolant/flush if need be
                            change cap and rotor if need be
                            test battery
                            run seafoam in IM and put 1/2pint in gas tank
                            clean out IACV
                            clean EGR/remove and put block plate on
                            check and change tranny fluid if needed
                            adjust idle to specs
                            clean out TB
                            check O2 sensor
                            get new cat
                            check for proper tire inflation
                            get alignment
                            don't drive like a maniac

with all the engine mods i have done, i have increased my MPG on average 10-12. i used to get 19-23mpg. now i get 28-32 sometimes even more. it's the basic maintenance and the lil performance mods that make such a big difference.
                            why remove and put a block plate on the egr valve? i thought egr was beneficial for a better mpg?

Comment

-keep car as light as possible(dont haul around stuff you dont need)
                              -maintain the engine well, fluids, etc.(also switch to a single ground electrode plug like stock, honda systems arent really designed for multiple electrode system which require more power to get as hot as a single)
                              -low rolling resistance tires and correct tire pressure, correct alignment, etc.
                              -keep windows closed if possible
                              -try to get up to cruising speed quickly; acceleration uses more fuel than cruising/coasting(hence why city mpg is worse than highway)
                              dont worry about the revs, just focus on minimizing the amount of throttle opened(remember, the ECU increases the amount of fuel according to load also. when you upshift and have to give it more gas to maintain speed, your mpg will go down).
                              -check compression/leakdown test.
                              -Kevin

1988 Honda Civi- D15B VTEC Dac Biet, my "race car"
                              1992 Honda Accord LX: DD until I finish school

Comment

Working...
                              X