Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

The infamous main relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The infamous main relay

The lady that owned my car before me had a problem were the fuel pump was not working (the relay). Whoever she had worked on the car had bypassed or removed this relay and tied the fuel pump into the fuse box directly . I did not know this when I bought the car. So after I bought it 3 months later. My fuel pump went out so I thought. When my car would not start I knew nothing of this relay and could not find it (thought it had one but manuals did not show it). So I took it to a mechanic friend who did not know much about hondas and he replaced my fuel pump and strainer (it needed it the strainer was basically gone). Then when my car still would not start found the wire that came from the fuel pump came out. But I have been wondering what else does the relay control ? I am not sure if I have one . I am thinking this is a problem waiting to happen.

Sorry misunderstanding, my car runs fine I am just trying to give all info I think is needed. I am wanting to know what all the relay controls. I am trying to determine if mine is still there or if is gone. Like I said the fuel pump is running directly in my fuse box. I have looked under my dash but I am not sure what is what. I dont think it is a good idea to run my fuel pump direct into the fuse box.
    Last edited by CA1978; 07-19-2006, 01:41 PM.

If I remember ours supplies the fuel to the rail so basically it just runs through the fuel pump. Is your fuel filter clogged? As for the main relay FYI its located under the driver side dash toward the fuse box.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

The car is running fine but I don't have clue what can happen or if it matters. If the relay is still there I want to reconnect the fuel pump to it like it is supposed to be. I dont know if it is there.

Comment

yeah the main relay problem is weird. back when mine fried the car would start on random occaisons. weather, engine temp, and time since last start didn't seem to matter. but sure enough, just when you needed the car to start, it wouldn't. i replaced a bunch of stuff before tracing the problem to the main relay. i think its probably worth a shot to replace the relay; if you need pictures of where its located, i'll try and get some for yah.

e

Comment

bump for an edit.

Comment

Main relay is a pain in the a**. Definitely worth replacing it if you have starting problem. When I replaced the one on my 90 lx, it took me months before I located it. Tried to search for pics, got no luck. It's somewhere above the driver side fusebox, hard to see and reach because of the wires.

Good luck.

Comment

Screw replacing the main relay, if you go that route. That costs money, and is probably unnecessary.

Remove the relay, then re-solder ALL of the connections. Not just the obviously faulty ones, as the factory solder seems cheap, and poorly applied. Of course, you need to be able to solder.

Tools needed: Soldering iron, Solder Sucker (or equivilant molten solder remover), some good quality solder (i.e. high silver content), and your hands.

Result (for me...results not guaranteed) : Starts Every Time. YEAH!
              Cost: $0.00
              Time: a few hours...give or take.

If you have any questions, gimme a shout.
              1991 Honda Accord EX (Canadian)

Comment

Working...
              X