Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

How Low Should I Go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Low Should I Go?

Ok I have decided that my next upgrade is to Drop it. I am having trouble deciding how low to go though. I was thinking 1.5" or maybe even 2". I am just looking for suggestions and tips. I have purchase a Coilover suspension kit already and just need to know how low should I set it up to be? If there is any other components that I would need to install with the Coilover kit please let me know that too.. ie struts, sway bars, etc... Thanks in advance..

You'll want struts if you lower your car... the old stock ones are probably pretty tired, and they most likely won't last long with a drop. KYB GR2s are a good cheap replacement.

1.5" with stock width wheels is good, since you don't really need a camber kit. Over 2", and the insides of your tires will start to wear out.

Keep in mind that lower isn't always better. A good set of springs dropping you 1.2" will give you better handling than crappy coilover sleeves slammed to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
      1.5" with stock width wheels is good, since you don't really need a camber kit. Over 2", and the insides of your tires will start to wear out.

Keep in mind that lower isn't always better. A good set of springs dropping you 1.2" will give you better handling than crappy coilover sleeves slammed to the ground.
      1. Ok well I got two questions for you with that... One I am running on 205/50-16's. Will that work??

2. Should I sell the coilover sleves and spend the money on springs??

Thanks again..

Comment

What brand are the coilover sleeves? Cheapies are crap, IMO. I would either invest in a true coilover setup (a complete system with struts and adjustible springs) such as Tein Basics, Tein SS, D2, Omnipower... Or just get some decent springs. Eibach, H&R, and Neuspeed make very good springs for our cars at reasonable prices.

205s are a little wide (I'm running the same, without a camber kit... but still) but they'll do. Get a proper alignment and don't mess with the height settings afterward.

Comment

my suggestion is go with springs.. the ride is so much better.. i had coilovers and quickly got rid of them and went with springs.. H&R with KYBs and it rides real smooth.. it has a 1.5" drop.. with stock rims and tires. sits down low enough for me and handles great and no need for camber kit. if you are interested in handling.. a good set of strut bars upper and lower are good and then go with sway bars. But be very SURE to get an allignment after each installation so that it all stays the same !!

Originally posted by Devergote
          A CB7 with an H22, a clean paintjob, HIDs with a projector retrofit, some nice wheels, and a mild drop on H&R Sport springs and Koni Yellow shocks... that's the perfect car. I'd be happy with that for the rest of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by tn_accords
            my suggestion is go with springs.. the ride is so much better.. i had coilovers and quickly got rid of them and went with springs.. H&R with KYBs and it rides real smooth.. it has a 1.5" drop.. with stock rims and tires. sits down low enough for me and handles great and no need for camber kit. if you are interested in handling.. a good set of strut bars upper and lower are good and then go with sway bars. But be very SURE to get an allignment after each installation so that it all stays the same !!
            That's good advice for sure.

Megan Racing is a good brand for strut bars. Inexpensive compared to many, and a hell of a lot better than the cheapies! Don't bother with a lower rear tie bar... we don't really need them.

Coilovers are only good when they're REAL coilovers, like the ones I mentioned above. Those are superior to most spring/strut combos when used properly. However, if you're not interested in competition, springs are probably your best bet. (or if you're like me, and you'd fiddle with ride height constantly.... which would kill your alignment every time.)

Comment

damn.. you good.. that is exactly the brand i went with on my wagon and sedan..

Originally posted by Devergote
              A CB7 with an H22, a clean paintjob, HIDs with a projector retrofit, some nice wheels, and a mild drop on H&R Sport springs and Koni Yellow shocks... that's the perfect car. I'd be happy with that for the rest of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by tn_accords
                damn.. you good.. that is exactly the brand i went with on my wagon and sedan..
                I've been around for a while

Plus, I'm cheap. I never pay too much... and I rarely pay list price. I won't settle for crap quality though. If you shop smart and research your parts before you buy, you can spend a LOT less than you think and get the same results! The only thing you NEED name brands for everything is a show car.

Comment

how low should you go?
                  i am a sucker for slammed cb7s.
                  go 2.5" or more, its gonna look real nice, even with stock wheels

Comment

Ok so what I am working with right now is a Dropzone Coilover suspension kit that I purchased about a year ago, on ebay, from a private seller that had them on his cb7 until he decided to sell it. They looked awesome on his car. I am not sure how much he dropped it or what kind of setup besides the coilovers he had. I dont know if these coilovers are high quality or not. I only paid about 50 bucks for them since they were used and all and thought I was getting a pretty good deal, and now im having second thoughts. I am looking at coilovers because I think it would be benefical to have the ability to adjust the height. The only problem with the setup that I bought is he didnt send the adjustment wrenches that came with the kit. So I would have to basically uninstall them everytime I wanted to adjust them. Let me know what you guys think.. Thanks again..

Comment

i would say drop it 2"...should look pretty good and still not extremely to low
                      1991 Honda Accord
                      www.animatedimages.org

Comment

imo, i would lower it 2". im one of those guys that likes it in the weeds. I have some cheap coilovers in my 91 coupe turned down as far as they go with a camber kit. I replaced the struts with kyb units. Its bouncy but i dont get any noise or anything, they dont ride that bad but springs are definitely a nicer ride. One thing you have to take into account is if there are speed bumps or lots of potholes in your area. If so you probably dont want to go very low. My suggestion would be to try the coilovers you have out with new struts and see how you like it, you could adjust the height with a pair of pliers since you have no wrench. If you dont like them then buy some thing else.

Oh and a alignment after any suspension work is a must

Comment

Originally posted by MadSpleen85
                          Ok so what I am working with right now is a Dropzone Coilover suspension kit that I purchased about a year ago, on ebay, from a private seller that had them on his cb7 until he decided to sell it. They looked awesome on his car. I am not sure how much he dropped it or what kind of setup besides the coilovers he had. I dont know if these coilovers are high quality or not. I only paid about 50 bucks for them since they were used and all and thought I was getting a pretty good deal, and now im having second thoughts. I am looking at coilovers because I think it would be benefical to have the ability to adjust the height. The only problem with the setup that I bought is he didnt send the adjustment wrenches that came with the kit. So I would have to basically uninstall them everytime I wanted to adjust them. Let me know what you guys think.. Thanks again..
                          Whats the word Deever?? Havent heard nothin! Let me know. You really seem to know your shit so Im waiting on your opinion before I do anything. Would rather wait then hurry and break something or mess something up. Let me know!

Comment

drop it till it scrapes, then drop it some more.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Drop the bitch SO low..you have to put thin metal plates under the edges of your car/kit/etc. Make it chrome or something and then when you set er down and cruise you'll light up like a fucking CB7 christmas tree!

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                              Originally posted by Jarrett
                              Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Working...
                              X