Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

cold air Vs. short ram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

honestly idk you'll have to talk with 92dx about that he's the one talking about it.
    95 accord 5-speed green coupe SOLD!
    93 H22 PRELUDE 5spd si Black

I have a JWhite retro, Do you?
    fghgfhf

Comment

shit it keeps stalling wuts its deal?

hopeing someone could help me out. A freind of mine her call when she has the ac on it'll stall and then she says its a bitch to start it again? wuts up with that if someone could help us out please. the cars a 1992 honda civic 5-speed thanks Jason

fghgfhf

Comment

*knew I should have written a faq on this when this newbie forum opened up* lol K lot of missinfo here....

Sr= low end torque. The shorter pipe means more instant throttle response. Touch the pedal and you will feel the engine a lot quicker. Doesn't necessarily mean MORE torque, just coming a split-second faster. Only problem is you LOSE power in the TOP end. All the hot air from the engine will be sucked up your SR intake, possibly making you LOSE power in the topend compared to your stock intake box that gets air from the very very front of the car away from the heat. And it's QUITE loud, particullarly if you have an aftermaket muffler/exhaust.

CAI= not so instant torque, but more torque and hp over the powerband overall. Your air comes in at the temperature it is outside, as compared to your engine bay temp. Figure a 100* temp difference and calculate that every 10* gives you another 1% in power=10-12hp. Sounds a lot deaper than stock or SR although nowhere near as loud SR. Sounds more authoritative imo. That and a muffler and it's quiet enough to keep unecessary attn from my car.

The stock peice that opens and closes the valve for the stock airbox in the fender can just be removed from the vacuum line going to the throttle body and capped off. JUST removed this valve won't make a tad bit of noticable difference really, especially if you have removed the bottom half of the stock air box. Then it's already doing ABSOLUTLY NOTHING!!! lol... wouldn't really worry about the cai sucking up water. You've gotta go through a good foot of standing water and just totally submerse the whole filter. Splashing through puddles won't hurt. My CAI filter is a good foot off the ground where it'd actually seal off the top of the water and suck it up. Even if you are slammed by the time you are that low you aren't gonna be driving through huge pools anyways. Paranoia can be eased with a simple $20 ebay bypas between the the connections of a two peice cai.

As far as how to hook up a SR, you can just get a filter and a 3" aluminum can and it'll go on the stock tubing, which is actually bigger than an SR pipe in general and you won't have to mess with the vacuum tubes and whatnot that you'll notice next to the throttle body. Doing a CAI isn't really that hard either. I used a red aluminum blade used for aluminum siding/edging (metal plant bed edging blade) and the a simple hammer to curl back the peices and you are good to go. You'll have to remove the stock airbox down there under your fender as that is where the filter will go.

As far as my personal opinion between the two, having run with a filter on the stock tube for a while and now running with a cheap cai the CAI is by far the better option. More power through the whole band, sounds much more toned (and doesnt' have the whistle the SR tended to have) and at a distance from my car it doesn't sound like all the civics you are used to seeing screeming by. PPL complement my car for how good it sounds. If you live in a place w/bad weather, just get a cheap two peice cai and take off the second peice for the winter and you can use it as a SR. really really easy. And if you look the is a complete diy on the CAI AND can SR intake DIY.
        My 91 Accord F22B DOHC MR

My 1996 Civic Ex H23A VTEC MR

Comment

ok thanks man. yea i live in michigan and sometimes the snow is a bitch. so yea with wut you have said in mind i'm gonna take your advice and buy the short ram but also find a cai connector so i can roll with a cai about 2out of the 4seasons and the other 2 the short ram.
          l8r

fghgfhf

Comment

Originally posted by hondamugen103
            ok thanks man. yea i live in michigan and sometimes the snow is a bitch. so yea with wut you have said in mind i'm gonna take your advice and buy the short ram but also find a cai connector so i can roll with a cai about 2out of the 4seasons and the other 2 the short ram.
            l8r
            No lol man don't buy anything if you just want SR just a filter. My CAI was like Just over $30 on ebay and it works fine. It's two peice then it works like a SR if you just use the first half. You can't buy the second peice separatly anyways and you'll pay more if you could. Just get a cai if you want a cai at all. snow is different than a flood of water. A little bit of snow on the filter isn't gonna do anything man. It takes a good chug of nothing but water to hydrolock your engine. When gas stations clean there tanks they leave water in them. Your car can take a little bit of precip it's just like a really humid day.
            My 91 Accord F22B DOHC MR

My 1996 Civic Ex H23A VTEC MR

Comment

lol ok i was looking at an aem 2piece on ebay for 93$ but if the full cai is better then thats wut i'll get you dont happen to know my my freinds car stalls do u? its a 92 civic 5-speed and when she turns on the ac it stalls
              thanks man
              l8r

fghgfhf

Comment

Originally posted by hondamugen103
                you dont happen to know my my freinds car stalls do u? its a 92 civic 5-speed and when she turns on the ac it stalls
                thanks man
                l8r
                Much smaller engine, the A/C pump drops a big load on the accessory belt when engauged.... the engine might not be in tip-top shape. Maybe it idles too low or just needs a tune-up.
                1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

alrighty thanks dawgg
                  i'll see wut happens.

fghgfhf

Comment

Well what i did was got the stock
                    tubing cuz it was really hard to find the piping that would fit
                    without hitting the battery and i just bought a K&N filter and
                    it works like a champ, i love the deepness sound and the whistle..

Comment

My CAI's coming sometime this week...so I don't really have a choice

I had a Pepboys filter on stock piping and that did nothing for me powerwise; it sure opened it up soundwise though...

I'm really hoping the CAI frees up some more ponies in the midrange though, my exhaust made a noticeable difference on the top end.

But yea...I say CAI, just don't be an idiot and drive through a lake.

Originally posted by lordoja
                      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gofaster
                        I took off all of tubes yesterday and the car sounds so much better it aint even funny. Now about modifying the stock airbox further (cutting out the bottom half) will that make it any louder still or will it stay the same as just removing the little tube things?
                        You don't have to cut out the bottom half, simply remove it. You would need screws and washers to hold up the filter to the top half of the airbox. It would sound about the same, but alot more air is going in. When i had this setup, i fabricated a little metal strip to hold the unrestrained intake tube in place, but thats optional. This works 99% as good as an SRI, only its FREE!
                        RICE COOKA!!

Comment

hmm I'll have ot try that today, thanx
                          1992 Honda Accord DX
                          Coupe 5spd
                          2.2 liter I-4 (code: F22a1)
                          125hp @5200 rpm 137 lb/ft @4000 rpm

(\__/)
                          (O.o )
                          (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Comment

ok so i'm suposed to buy this 91 5speed accord right and the guy calls me last night to tell me that he was gonna take it through the car wash adn when he when to drive away he goes to disengage the e-brake and when he does the rear wheels stayed locked up? how can i fix this? suposed to leave in a few hours to go and get it please let me know asap.

fghgfhf

Comment

I personally went with the SRI (it's coming sometime next week yay) because I didn't even wanna bother having to worry about water, I'll let you know how I like it when it gets here.
                              Originally posted by deevergote
                              I'd eat a baby for free. I'm hungry, dammit!

Comment

I have a KYO Short Ram intake with a Weapon R Cold Air box.

I think its the best of both worlds. I'll take pictures of it and post it up on how it looks. It keeps the heat away and the tube where the cold air gushes in sits right by the filter so it can suck in cold air.
                                2005 Alpine White E46 BMW M3 - 1990 Honda Accord EX

Comment

Working...
                                X