Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Car is not starting!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car is not starting!!

Hi,
    Last Thursday, my radiator fan went out and a hose blew creating a nice loud pop, and of course, the sweet steam. Repaired that over the weekend. Took it out for a drive, and noticed the tach was jumping. It was acting like it was about to run out of gas. I came on here, and someone mentioned it was the igniter/ignition coil. I kept that in mind. I went outside and messed with the spark plugs and distributor. Car started working perfect. No problem.
    I drove the car to work this morning without a hitch. When I went to leave work today, the car would not start. It cranks, but will not turn over. We changed the distributor cap and rotor. Then, changed the igniter/ignition coil.
    What else is there? The car has a full tank of gas, and I can hear the fuel pump engaging. All suggestions welcome. My car is still @ work while I'm at home. Kinda wanna get it back over here.
    Thanks!!
    Houston Chick with an upsetting Accord

if its manual.. try to push start it. If its auto.. shoulda gotten a manual

bouncing tach definately sounds like an ignitor or dizzy assembly. Was there any crap in the dizzy cap when you took it off?

Does the car act like it wants to fire... like its trying, or does it seem like it is just spinning?

Comment

Thanks for your response!
      The dizzy cap had some oil looking stuff in it when it was removed. On the first try, it sounded like it wanted to fire. After that, it was just spinning and not turning over. The dizzy cap and rotor was replaced today, and the igniter coil. I donno what else it could be
      I guess I could try the Fuel relay in the morning ya know? I can hear the fuel switch engaging so that's cool. It's a 90 Accord LX btw. I'm at a loss.

Comment

check your underhood fuses.

take a sparkplug and check to see if the car is getting spark when you turn it over. (put sparkplug in the end of the wire like it usually goes, and hold it close to the valve cover, and have someone crank the car, see if there is spark.

Can you smell gas?

And which rad. hose burst?

Does the CEL come on and then go away after a second or two when you first turn the key?

Comment

when you say spinning i hope it not a head gasket for your sake.

goood luck with it x

Comment

I have the same problem. It will run fine for a few days, then just cut out whenever it wants. aero, you asked if htownaccord could smell petrol, I can smell a STRONG smell of petrol after cranking once or twice, and the CEL comes on for about two seconds then goes off. Sometimes it will stay on, and the car won't start, then if I turn the car to off then back on and wait for the light to go out it will start, idle for a few seconds then just die. I really am at a loss. I have been thinking the fuel pump or the main relay but after reading some posts about the main relay it seems unlikely as it mainly happens when cold, and most people have said hot weather affects that. Any thoughts from anyone? I really need to fix this if I don't i'm thinking about selling which I don't want to do. Please help.

^^ Clicky for Members Ride! ^^

Comment

Head gasket. That sucks. I was afraid of that. Im going to junk this car. I bought it for 600.00. put 600 back into it. and constantly adding other stuff that i lost track with. I hate this. well i think obviously its the head gasket. i did a head gasket sealer repair on it when i first got it in april. thanks.

Comment

Mealsy: If you smell a strong gas smell you either got no spark or something is leaking like a mofo into your combustion chamber. Check for spark first though.

htown: Dont jump to conclusions immediately. As mentioned double check for spark. Does it turn over as asked? Basic needs for turning on a car is air/fuel/spark. If you aint gettin one of these your car aint gonna start.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                I piss off people for fun.
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

mealsy probably needs a new dizzy, and might as well replace the coolant temp sensor since its a pain in the ass to get at.

htown--thats what spinning as you describe usually indicate..not to be negative, but head gasket sealer isnt a permanent fix. and that "POP" was probably the sealer you put back in april giving way. when you drained the coolant was it brown or look like it had oil in it?

and nail . not to sound like a dick, but you also need compression as well, which she aint gonna get with a blown head gasket.

just my two sense

good luck

x
                  Last edited by xfactortype1; 06-29-2006, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X