Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

An examination of the ongoing CAI vs. SRI debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phunkatek
    Where do you feel it provides more power- I'm guessing mid-range to top-end?
    I'd even say from low end .. all the way thru the band .. honestly ..

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
    when it gets hot out my car is a dog. I'm almost certain a CAI will help me out greatly.
    You know .. color me anal .. but .. I have noticed that my car does have a favorite
    ambient temputure .. if it's about 67* outside .. for some reason .. the motor is simply awake
    and very responsive and alive .. colder or warmer .. and it seems to need
    more time to achieve the same feeling or response when it's 67* ..

A Hui Hou !!!
    Tomi
    Last edited by PakaloloHonda; 06-26-2006, 04:12 AM.

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

My car just likes its air served cold...the colder, the better. In the winter it barks and wails, but it also burns more gas.

Would it be safe to put dry ice on the intake manifold at the track?

Originally posted by lordoja
      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

you may over analyze, but you will save the new ppl some time. also, i randomly switch back and forth my sri to stock so im none to talk.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
        "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
        "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

The only thing I can imagine is that when theres flooding in areas around here Id be sol if I had an sri.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangudai
            The only thing I can imagine is that when theres flooding in areas around here Id be sol if I had an sri.
            Ahh homey, you got it backwards. SRI = Short Ram Intake, the filter sits next to your battery. CAI = Cold Air Intake, filter is down by the bumper lights.
            - Ghosty
            WTB: MAP sensor (2+bar), IAT sensor, ECU & dizzy harness plugs... PM me!
            FS: coupe window rain guards, f22a6 intake & ex mani, cams, PT6 ECU, valve cover, dizzy caps, OEM fogs... PM me!

Comment

Very good thread. I have learnt a lot from this. However, there is still no evidence (some number) about which one gains more power, and in which range.

And about the water thing, I really don't think it would be a big problem. Who would drive in a deep pool? Also, as I understand, the stock intake is low too.

One thing that really caught my attention is that CAI filter might be hard to clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostyman
                If you're going to go SRI, do the DIY method using your stock airbox hose.
                thats the best and only mod on the motor i have now. really helps with reving freely, and it sounds good running hard, too.

Comment

great write-up... very helpful in picking the right intake.... great job!!
                  91 Coupe-Under Construction

Comment

good write up but i see a few mistakes

sri does not always equal thinner filter and cai does not always equal thicker filter. it varies from whihc company the intake is from. greddy offers high flow filter but gets dirty a lot, basically a tradeoff

the curved pipings of a cai does not restrict as much air as you think. we're not talking abuot 90 degree bends

if you get a bypass valve, its been tested by aem that it looses abuot 2-3 hp. depending on the size of the puddle, you can drive over them with the clutch in and cruise till that puddle is gone

Comment

My car just likes its air served cold...the colder, the better. In the winter it barks and wails, but it also burns more gas.

Would it be safe to put dry ice on the intake manifold at the track?

do you mean inside the intake manifold or on the intake manifold? weapon-r has an intake system in whcih they take an intake and modify a box around it so ice or some cooling device can be used to cool down the air going into the intake

Comment

Ah I'm surprised I didn't see this after I put my CAI in...and promptly removed it!!!

In the summertime, a CAI is useless IMO. I installed mine in July and went on runs back to back w/h22sparkle...the CAI was quieter and gave much less throttle response. We promptly removed it and went back to the SRI, and the smile was back on my face.

However, with fall and winter coming up I'm considering going back to the CAI setup to see if the colder ambient temps will offset the loss in throttle response. With the H23 plenum my car is a rocket, but going the N/A route, every HP counts.

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Every dyno pull I have ever seen puts the CAI higher than the SR on total output.

The reason is simple. Cooler air=more power. You can figure about a 1% gain for every 3 degrees or so of temp drop.

As far as throttle response goes, if the tube is of the proper size, there will be no change in throttle response because the CAI will not be a flow restriction.

If the tube can flow more than the TB, there won't be a problem.
                          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
                            Every dyno pull I have ever seen puts the CAI higher than the SR on total output.

The reason is simple. Cooler air=more power. You can figure about a 1% gain for every 3 degrees or so of temp drop.

As far as throttle response goes, if the tube is of the proper size, there will be no change in throttle response because the CAI will not be a flow restriction.

If the tube can flow more than the TB, there won't be a problem.
                            Perhaps I was confusing sound with throttle response. In any case, subjectively the SRI felt a lot better, and when the temperatures went down, i.e. at night, the car was also noticeably faster. If I ever get to dyno my car I will test both to see what the deal is.

Comment

preference is definantly the deciding factor in what people decide about the CAI, SRI debate. i myself will be going with the ebay piping so i can switch between CAI and SRI dependent on the season. and im not 100% positive but i was told there are 3 different types of bypass valves that all do the same thing in different ways. im not sure by i would guess the purpose of having 3 different types of bypass valves would mean having less loss of whatever gain the CAI would be getting. eitherway HP gain is minimal and eitherway CAI or SRI you still get a better than stock sound when hitting the gas

Comment

Perhaps I was confusing sound with throttle response. In any case, subjectively the SRI felt a lot better, and when the temperatures went down, i.e. at night, the car was also noticeably faster. If I ever get to dyno my car I will test both to see what the deal is.
                                butt dyno

Comment

Working...
                                X