Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

lets break it down: i want to go turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lets break it down: i want to go turbo

every time i hear about going turbo everything seems complicated and out of place. assuming the motor is accessible to boost, is there any way to simplify the whole process? i'm not really asking how to install, but rather what are the basic factors in a turbo setup and their functions. intercooler, wastegate, blowoff valve,etc. also, simply put, is there anyway to have a reliable turbo setup without spending too much? e.g. a completly stock h22. what can be done and used to keep the motor in good shape for a good while? obviously money must be spent if you really want reliability and high boost. but what if i just wanted to boost like 5 lbs? i'm pretty sure not too much will need to be done to the block compared to 15 lbs of boost. i could be wrong.
    i know this shit seems kind of vague, but just hope someone can share some insight with my nooby self. any response will be much appreciated. lates.

Well Yoshi h22a, I am no expert, however I have been researching going turbo on my h22 for over a year now and have found out some crucial things. First, honda motors are set up from the factory in favor of natural aspiration. Most engines are of a higher compression ratio. Boost favors low compression. In order to lower the compression on your engine different "tricks" can be used, however the most effective way to lower the compression on the engine is to use new pistons, forged are best. The conflict with forged pistons and the H block is that the H block uses a sleeve made of FRM. If you use forged pistons with these type of sleeves they could become damaged over time even while running low boost. This is just what I have read from searching several forums and is by no means 100% fact. I am sure someone far more capable than myself can give a better explaination. Second, if you are planning on boosting on a budget you shouldn't. Besides getting the internals of the engine ready for boost you must tune the car. The tuning of the car will make or break the reliability of your turbo application. My nooby advice to you is to save up some money and get a plan together. Once you have your plan stick to it and don't be afraid to ask specific questions. Search this site and others to get as much info as you can. Lastly, I would not recommend just buying a turbo kit and slapping it onto your engine unless you are prepared for it to break. Hope this helps
    Last edited by H22A-T; 06-15-2006, 01:00 AM.

Comment

do alot of reading

check out the diy PDF on this site

also
      homemadeturbo.com
      pgmfi.org
      dsmturbo.com

read read

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
      "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
      "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
        read read
        the best advice anyone can give...

read until you think you know everything there is to know. and then read and read some more. once you realize that you didnt know anything back when you thought you knew everything, you will be ready.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Originally posted by H22A-T
          First, honda motors are set up from the factory in favor of natural aspiration. Most engines are of a higher compression ratio. Boost favors low compression.
          only v-tec motors my friend...

non-v-tec:
          f22ax-8.8 CR
          f20a/b-9.5 CR
          f22b-9.2 CR
          h23a1-9.8 CR

v-tec:
          h23a-10.6 CR
          h22ax-10.0 CR
          h22a-10.6 CR
          h22a(type-s)-11.0 CR
          f20b-11.0 CR

Comment

Boosting a stock H22, especially a high compression JDM motor, is risky. It can be done. It has been done. But your chances of doing some damage are high... especially if you don't use top quality components (a $1200 home made turbo kit won't be designed quite as well as a brand new professionally made kit). 5psi on a high compression engine is still fairly dangerous. One spike due to a failed wastegate could be the end of your motor.

To lower the compression on the H22, you need new pistons. To install new pistons, you either need FRM compatible ones ($1000 or more for the pistons alone) or you need to get your block resleeved (also about $1000... and then you can buy some $600 pistons). With aftermarket pistons comes aftermarket rods.

Once you get the bottom end of your motor built (plan on a MINIMUM of $3000 on top of the cost of the motor for that) you're ready for boost. A t3/t4 combo will give you nice power with proper tuning. Keep boost levels low, and you'll probably have a reliable and somewhat efficient car.

Still, from all my research, a properly built turbo H22 costs in excess of $10,000.

If you want to go cheap, boost an F22. People are making over 250whp on stock internals. Using used DSM parts, you can easily make at least 220whp.

Comment

I would suggest you talk to r33 accord or something like that on accordtuner.com He may be on THIS site as well.
              FYI I would not talk to anyone else on accordtuner.com as they are troller and would really RAG all over you for a similar question on there site........ That is why this site is awsome@@@!!!

A completely noob question like this and honest helpfull advice.
              WOW I cant belive it! IM HOOKED ON THIS SITE!

Anyways back to topic. I belive R33 accord actually had kits that he assembaled with actual fuel management too. Someone correct me if im wrong?!?!? Im not sure if that is the right person or not.

Also If you dont have the h22 yet and want to turbo dont get a h22.
              The h23 non v tech engine has lower compression than the h22 which as we all know means that you can run more boost saftly! Also the h23 has a little more displacement which helps the spool up process. Spooling up is key in turbo. If you ever heard the term "TURBO LAG" that is refuring to the spooling up process. The displacement is verry little but 2.2 and 2.3 litters
              are also small displacement engines in general , so any lil bit will help exponentially. This .1 Litter will result in about 200-300 rpm quicker. That is a big deal! Also there are alot of cheap and easy parts that work great to turbo the stock f22aX engines. DSM manifolds and injectors. HELL if you wanted to be cheap cheap and somwhat relieable I belive you could use a complete gen1 DSM "mitz eclipse" turbo wastegate manifold injectors and all.
              I would sugest getting a Intercooler and exast temp gauge and air fuel ratio gauge. the last thing you want to do is run to rich or lean and eat holes in you new pistons! lol Also you are gonna want a programable ECM and software like CHROME or HONDATA or something to get it tuned in correctly.
              So with all that being said you personally need to research this topics of interest.... and god knows that there are resources to read, determinewhat you can afford and go from there. There are many knowegable people out there that are boosted and would gladly point you dont the right path....

Good luck There is a turbo set up for everyone even on a budget

Comment

Originally posted by brandenbmx
                I would suggest you talk to r33 accord or something like that on accordtuner.com He may be on THIS site as well.

Comment

Originally posted by brandenbmx
                  FYI I would not talk to anyone else on accordtuner.com as they are troller and would really RAG all over you for a similar question on there site........ That is why this site is awsome@@@!!!

A completely noob question like this and honest helpfull advice.
                  WOW I cant belive it! IM HOOKED ON THIS SITE!

Anyways back to topic. I belive R33 accord actually had kits that he assembaled with actual fuel management too. Someone correct me if im wrong?!?!? Im not sure if that is the right person or not.

Also If you dont have the h22 yet and want to turbo dont get a h22.
                  The h23 non v tech engine has lower compression than the h22 which as we all know means that you can run more boost saftly! Also the h23 has a little more displacement which helps the spool up process. Spooling up is key in turbo. If you ever heard the term "TURBO LAG" that is refuring to the spooling up process. The displacement is verry little but 2.2 and 2.3 litters
                  are also small displacement engines in general , so any lil bit will help exponentially. This .1 Litter will result in about 200-300 rpm quicker. That is a big deal! Also there are alot of cheap and easy parts that work great to turbo the stock f22aX engines. DSM manifolds and injectors. HELL if you wanted to be cheap cheap and somwhat relieable I belive you could use a complete gen1 DSM "mitz eclipse" turbo wastegate manifold injectors and all.
                  I would sugest getting a Intercooler and exast temp gauge and air fuel ratio gauge. the last thing you want to do is run to rich or lean and eat holes in you new pistons! lol Also you are gonna want a programable ECM and software like CHROME or HONDATA or something to get it tuned in correctly.
                  So with all that being said you personally need to research this topics of interest.... and god knows that there are resources to read, determinewhat you can afford and go from there. There are many knowegable people out there that are boosted and would gladly point you dont the right path....

Good luck There is a turbo set up for everyone even on a budget
                  Eric (accord R33) is actually a mod on this site. He doesn't have his boosted CB7 anymore, but he does know the tricks. He made his own setup out of DSM parts and a chipped p06 ECU. Just having the software for tuning isn't all though... you need to fully understand how things work. Not an easy task.

Unfortunately, the approach Eric used for his turbo setup would NOT be a good idea with an H22. The cheap homemade turbo setup I was referring to is the kit Eric basically designed. It's an awesome setup for the F22, since it can make some very nice power for very little money... but for the H22, it's not a good idea. I wouldn't risk it for the H23 or F22B DOHC (almost the same thing...) You ARE right about the H23 being somewhat better for boost, however.

Comment

i really wouldnt even condone it as a good idea for the F22a, at least not for someone who doesnt fully understand every aspect of the setup. there are some things you can cut corners on, and somethings you cant. knowing when and where to spend the money is key. Respecting the limits of your setup is also a big factor, if you try to make more power than your parts can handle, you will be in trouble

Comment

Quote " Also there are alot of cheap and easy parts that work great to turbo the stock22aX engines. DSM manifolds and injectors. HELL if you wanted to be cheap cheap and somwhat relieable I belive you could use a complete gen1 DSM "mitz eclipse" turbo wastegate manifold injectors and all." Quote

I was trying to say that there is a cheaper way to go about boosting the f22ax engines. Not the h22 or h23 Sorry i didnt make a point of that but in my long drown out train of thought ........ that is what I was thinking. AND YES YES YES you need to fully understand that entire process and how it works in and out and all that , and there is a SHIT TON to grasp before doing this.
                      I have reciently been elbow deep in a turbo project I didnt fully understand all the in's and out's to and wow... I have been helping in a early 90's chevy quad cab dully chasis with a 96 24 valve cummons turbo desiel. WOWOW what a mess. To switch from the common rail fuel setup to a injector pump set up involves having a cummons 12valve pre 96 cam sent out and fabed to run the injector pump and all... ANYWAYS if you dont fully understand what you are getting into it TURNS NASTY!
                      AND YET I KEEP LEARNING THIS THE HARD WAY OVER AND OVER AGAIN

AND HELLO ERIC@@!!!!!!!! I see that you left accordtuner as well ?!? mabey ?? I dono .
                      I am so ANTI ACCORDTUNER.COM I am having a shirt made that says ACCORDTUNER.COM BLOWS GIANT MOSTER COCK @@!!!!

Anyways good luck with your turbo adventure, and im sure there are alot of people that will help you along with this.

Comment

for as long as i've known, erics been on this board.

my suggestion, spend the money on the mahle gold series pistons to drop compression, get a decent turbo kit(t3 or bigger/something that' doesn't produce abnormal heat), have someone who knows what there doing tune it, and only run 6lbs or less.
                        Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

cool cool , some how i thought he was on that forum too , but it sucks so I wont go back there TO MANY DAMN TROLLERS

Comment

theres alot of good info here since i am planning on going with and h23 and then turbo it later but by reading what everyone said it looks like its going to take alot of money to maintain a turbo H22 but good luck yoshi with everything hopefully all these opinions here can help you out with your decision none of them arent telling you not to turbo your h22 but they are letting you know what problems come with the boosted h22
                            ________
                            Bbw Ebony
                            Last edited by Davids92Accord; 04-09-2011, 02:41 AM.

CLICK ON SIG FOR MEMBERS RIDE
                            "2SIIC"
                            Authentic Jerseys for sale
                            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188314

Comment

Originally posted by Accord R33
                              the best advice anyone can give...

read until you think you know everything there is to know. and then read and read some more. once you realize that you didnt know anything back when you thought you knew everything, you will be ready.
                              i said almost that same exact thing to somone on teamintegra the other day

ive noticed that a lot of other forums are much more ignorant when it comes to turbo because very often I find im the only one saying things like that, and im not an expert or anything... on accord racing, accord wagon club, team integra, and some others, turbo questions often go unanswered or just answered w/ dense replies like I think your engine has to much mileage to turbo

Old Ride-New Ride

Comment

Working...
                              X