Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

broken axle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

broken axle?

I've had a broken axle before, and when it was bad, i could hear that clunking whenever I took a turn. I was wondering exactly where the axle is, and if, by looking at it, i'd figure out if it's shot.

However, I've only noticed this since I just put on my rims. Maybe I'm not used to driving with wider/different wheels? But it's just weird whenever I go over a bump and the steering wheel pulls to the left a little bit. And I thought I might've head some clunking.

I don't know much, any advice etc helpful.

I just replaced mine a couple months ago and they are going bad again because all of my ball joints, bushings and tie rods were bad around it and I just started beating everything up via H23. Anyway, I can hear mine when I turn under acceleration, it sounds like a cycling uneven rolling sound, and you can probably feel it through the pedals or floor because it will make a vibration from slipping, knocking parts, at least mine does. I don't think you can tell anything except for whether the rubber boot is ripped or not by looking at the axle. Make sure the axles are engaged all the way at the transmission and intermediate shaft, but chances are if the axle has the nut tightened on the outside end, it's in. The worn or damaged parts are under the rubber boot and make up the joint. I got my axles with a lifetime warranty from advance for $60 & $70 each, so I can get them replaced, but you might want to look for a higher quality part somewhere else, like NAPA, CARQUEST or a HONDA dealer. It's kind of crap regardless that mine are going bad already. Check the parts I mentioned above on yours and make sure that nothings too worn or loose. You have to separate the lower ball joint from the control arm to replace axles, so move the joint by hand and make sure it has some resistance and is not loose, and look at the rubber parts at the bottom of the shock fork/control arm, and at the swaybar ends while you're in there to make sure you aren't going to end up with the same story as me. If you are unsure, just keep driving. If your axle(s) is bad, it will get worse and worse until you won't be able to hit the gas while turning without hearing and feeling the problem. Good Luck

The H22 Sleeper Sedan, updated 8/14
    After 4 months down...It's back! and tucked.
    Need a Swap or some work done in the DC/MD/VA/WV area?
    PM me and get it done right!

Comment

Well if its clunking might be something else. Clicking is usually what you will hear if your axles outer boot is ripped. But look behind your wheel (might have to jack up the car if your car is low) and you will see a boot with a long steel circular rod and another boot that conencts to the tranny. See if its ripped. If its ripped then its no good and go get you a remanufactured one and reinstall. You sure your rim isnt contacting anything?

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

might wanna check your rotors too. some parts might be loose there.

Comment

dumb question but are your lugs tight enough sometimes if there kinda loose that will cause your wheel area to make noise
          kms-fab.com repin the 513
          tuned1.com
          sleeperautosports.com
          i will build another frank

Comment

thanks for all the feedback so far, i will definetly check those things.

i took some really hard turns today, the noise i heard was definetly a one time thing, and like i said, i know what a broken axle sounds like, and this definetly isnt it. So my concern is no longer a product of noise.

my rims aren't hitting anything, i pulled the wheels al the way both ways, and i have plenty of clearance.

it's just like, if i'm just cruising along, my wheel will randomly pull to the left sometimes. the only problem is realizing exactly when that happens. Sometimes after a bump/not always sometimes when i'm braking/not always. Also, I know my caliper/brakes aren't stuck, becuase i've had that happen too.

Comment

Working...
            X