Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

timing belt project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timing belt project

just installed a f22a4 engine with 75,xxx miles into my cb7 and runs good but whenever i start the car it squeels for 2 seconds then goes away i wanna change the timing belt cuz i dont know how old this one is or if its thats whats causing it, i know i need the balance shaft belt too but what else would i need to replace with the timing belt project cuz i dont wanna spend too much on other lil things that this 75,xxx motor doesnt need yet cuz i'm planning on saving up for a h22

well if that motor hasn't had a new timing belt put on it yet and its got 75k on it, kinda surprsing it hasn't already broke. I would replace the belt for sure, the sqeeling I'm not thinking would be the timing belt, I would go more for the alternator or power steering cause timingbelts have teeth, so they won't squeek unless its a pulley inside the timing belt system.

Comment

The belt squeal is the ps or alt belt most likely. Replace and tighten tension correctly. If one has a glazed appearance on the V sides that'd be a dead giveaway but replace 'em anyway.

It's not "surprsing [the timing belt] hasn't already broke." Timing belt is every 90K --- there's no reason to change it at 75K.
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

I thought t-belts were 40-60k

Comment

90k from what I've known, but a lot of places *suggest* changing it after 60k.

Comment

Originally posted by deckeda

It's not "surprsing [the timing belt] hasn't already broke." Timing belt is every 90K --- there's no reason to change it at 75K.
            If you had the motor out at 75k I sure as hell would change it. Honda suggests timing belt/water pump job every 90k. Also, there is no telling when it could break. My mom just had it done on her Honda Odyseey at 161k. Original belt. The engine is a F22B6, very similar to the F22A1 from the looks.
            Gary A.K.A. Carter
            [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

okay so i should change the
              timing belt
              alternator and power steering belts
              and what else???

Comment

Originally posted by ez8o5
                okay so i should change the
                timing belt
                alternator and power steering belts
                and what else???
                Or if you changed the alt/p/s belt before just tighten it but doesnt sound like you have. But timing should be done every 60-70k depending on how you drive. Ive seen people pull up to my friend shop that driven like 90-100k since most of them are old people and dont gun it everywhere.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                I piss off people for fun.
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

If you are going to change timing belt, you will have to change the balance belt and water pump also since you are there. And the accessory belts needs to be tighten to remove the squeel.

Check the condition of the timing belt by removing the upper timing cover and check the belt if its cracking or if it looks worn. Check to see if the teeth on the belt are rouned off or getting there.

Comment

Originally posted by pyro_maniac69
                    well if that motor hasn't had a new timing belt put on it yet and its got 75k on it, kinda surprsing it hasn't already broke. I would replace the belt for sure, the sqeeling I'm not thinking would be the timing belt, I would go more for the alternator or power steering cause timingbelts have teeth, so they won't squeek unless its a pulley inside the timing belt system.
                    my timing belt lasted for 140k miles on it so, not completely surprising it hasnt broke

like he said squeeling is normally ps or alternator belts. if your going to change timing belt, i would change water pump and all the seals that are right there too. when i changed mine i got a kit from a guy on ebay and he sold me everything i needed plus the seals and stuff because you have to take everything off anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by bruno8747
                      If you are going to change timing belt, you will have to change the balance belt and water pump also since you are there. And the accessory belts needs to be tighten to remove the squeel.

Check the condition of the timing belt by removing the upper timing cover and check the belt if its cracking or if it looks worn. Check to see if the teeth on the belt are rouned off or getting there.
                      what if my water pump is new, do i still have to replace it

Comment

no if it is new dont replace it but it is a good idea to pull it off and take a look at it to make sure it has no problems just incase

Comment

All good advice.... but squeeling isnt always just a loose belt...if your PS or alternator is having mechanical problems and freezing up it will squeek a few times and start turning again... right up tell it completely freezes up and blows a belt.

I had a squeeky belt in my 85 maxima and turned out that my powersteering pump was locking up and it. It finaly froze and blew my belt... sadly nissan thought it was funny to run the power steering and the water pump on the same belt. This was bad for my motor. Honda isnt as bad at doing this kinda stuff but a squeek needs to be fixed or youll blow a belt and run either outta power w/o your alternator or all the sudden wont be able to turn the car for shit... both could get you in a wreak.
                          I cant Slam further. The ground refuses to get any lower.

Comment

Working...
                          X