Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Engine Code 43 - O2 Sensor Problem - After F22A6 to F22A1 Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Code 43 - O2 Sensor Problem - After F22A6 to F22A1 Swap

A few months ago I swapped my F22A6 in my 1992 EX CB9 5-speed to a F22A1. I did the swap as the A6 was very high miles and the A1 I found was very low miles.
    For the swap, I also swapped over the PT3 ECU for the F22A1, but I retained the exhaust manifold and downpipe from the F22A6 and just bolted it right on to the new F22A1.

Since the O2 sensor was further down on the A6 downpipe, I modified the F22A1 wiring harness to reach, soldering in wire to extend it to the the F22A6 O2 sensor. I have since come to learn that was a mistake. The engine is throwing code 43 and has a rough idle as well as hesitation at higher RPMs.

What should I do for a solution?

I was thinking:
    (1) cut out the section of wire I had soldered and re-crimp the wire into an oem connector. buy an aftermarket wire harness extender from amazon and plug in it to extend the harness to the o2 sensor in the lower downpipe location. Since it is an f22a1 motor with a pt3 ecu, does that mean I should buy an lx (f22a1) o2 sensor and put it in the location further downstream? Or should I stick with an ex (f22a6) o2 sensor?
    Problems with this proposed solution are I wonder if the o2 sensor being a few feet further down on the exhaust downpipe in my setup vs. a stock lx/dx f22a1 setup will throw off the ecu?

(2) the other solution could be to rip out the ex (f22a6) exhaust manifold and downpipe and replace it with an lx/dx (f22a1) downpipe. then I could just cut out the soldered o2 extension on the wire harness, re-crimp in an oem connector , and put an lx o2 sensor in the stock location further upstream in the new exhaust manifold. downside to this solution is that it would be a lot more work and I don't have all these parts on hand.

So will solution 1 above likely work? Should I use an lx/dx (f22a1) or an ex(f22a6) o2 sensor in the downstream location if I go this route as I am running a f22a1 motor and ecu but have the old downpipe and exhaust manifold from my ex chassis?

Please let me know what you think or if you have any other proposed solutions I haven't thought of.

Thanks.

Hi,
    I ordered a new a1 o2 sensor and compared it to the a6 that was in the car, and it looked slightly different.

so I spliced the a1 sensor in, put it in the location further down on the downpipe where the a6 sensor normally sits, and heat wrapped it.

car idles way better, doesn't hesitate at speed, and engine code gone. So it must have been the a1 computer was getting the wrong reading from the a6 sensor, and it needed to "talk" to the a1 sensor. either that or the old a6 sensor was just bad. but it appears my wiring job didn't mess up the resistance.

problem solved!

Comment

Working...
    X