Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

turbo or swap???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turbo or swap???

i was talking to my mechanic the other day and i was asking around to see what some of the pricing would be for engine swaps and he flat out told me that something like an h22 would be a stupid choice and that if i wanted power i should just go for a turbo. ok so i've been looking around the internet and i just can't seem to find any site that has a turbo kit especially designed for a 93 accord. i've seen a couple turbos on member's rides but i'm having no luck in finding a turbo. i don't even know if i want a turbo because i kind of want that sleeper thing goin' on at some point and i'm not the richest guy but i thought it would be smarter to find an h22 and maybe turbo that beast later. i dunno though... i'm supposed to be pulling 140hp but i seriously seriously doubt that, and i know a turbo could get me somewhere around 200hp possibly. i'm really thinking i've lost A LOT of compression so i need to get that checked but my mechanic said less compression would be better for a turbo application. any sites around that have applications for 93 accords?

if ur car is an automatic then NO on the turbo cause it bad on the engine.if manual then turbo. engine swaps are cool but take much more work.
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=104311]
    my members page
    my myspace
    my car domain

Comment

Lower compression is usually better for turbo applications, but losing compression isn't the way to accomplish that. If you're going to turbo your current engine, then make sure it's in proper working order first.

If you're not very mechanically inclined, I would suggest that you do a swap. You'd be a lot less likely to break anything expensive (tune a turbo setup wrong and you'll be rebuilding the engine). On the other hand though, a custom turbo setup does deserve more respect than a swap, since swaps are easy. .. So, it's really a matter of personal preference and technical inclination. Either option can product great results.

Comment

Originally posted by 92Lxsleeper
        engine swaps are cool but take much more work.
        They may require more physical work, but they're a whole lot easier to get running properly (and safely).

Comment

yea i've got an automatic so i dunno. he did also say that i would probably need a new tranny in the process considering this tranny has had 167K on it plus these transmissions have a lot of problems. so are there any websites around the net that have turbo kits i could look at and do some research on?

Comment

You're not really going to find a great out-of-the-box kit for these cars. PM h22sparkle though; he can make you a custom kit. Or, piece together your own kit.. . Best 'bang for your buck', do a DSM setup (if you're not sure what I'm referring to, then go search the 'Forced Induction' section of these forums).

If you don't know how to piece together your own kit though, then you're probably not ready for a turbo. There's no such thing as a non-custom setup for these cars, so be ready to kill your engine if you screw up. If you do go that route though, be sure to have a professional (or very knowledgeable hobbiest) setup your PCM, so your car at least has a chance at firing up again.

Sorry if this sounds at all harsh, I just want to really emphasize the risks of a custom turbo setup. I'm definitely all for the idea; I just want to make sure you know what you're getting into.

Comment

Originally posted by DilutedImage
              You're not really going to find a great out-of-the-box kit for these cars. PM h22sparkle though; he can make you a custom kit. Or, piece together your own kit.. . Best 'bang for your buck', do a DSM setup (if you're not sure what I'm referring to, then go search the 'Forced Induction' section of these forums).

If you don't know how to piece together your own kit though, then you're probably not ready for a turbo. There's no such thing as a non-custom setup for these cars, so be ready to kill your engine if you screw up. If you do go that route though, be sure to have a professional (or very knowledgeable hobbiest) setup your PCM, so your car at least has a chance at firing up again.

Sorry if this sounds at all harsh, I just want to really emphasize the risks of a custom turbo setup. I'm definitely all for the idea; I just want to make sure you know what you're getting into.

Heed this man's warnings. The turbo you probably would be looking at is the TD05H. Or something very close to that. This turbo comes from a First Gen eclipse. You'll also need the header off of a turbo eclipse as well (same gen). Downpipe is gonna need to be custom fabricated (shouldn't run you too much money, see a machinist) and you're also gonna need a way to control the turbo. For our cars, 6 psi is the most boost you can do on a stock block safely w/o blowing something up.

If I were you, I'd just do some minimal modifactions to the car now (just to tide you over for awhile) and wait for the auto to go. It's much more cost efficient that way.

With turbo set-ups, knowledge is power. Research will be what makes or breaks a set-up, no doubt about that. Honda Tuning's most recent magazine did a large article about the in's and out's of turbo's. Think of it as Turbo Anatomy 101.

Finally, you're really gonna want a manual tranny for turbo. Besides ruining you're tranny, discomfort is going to be felt all over. The TD05H is a turbo that spools right around 3200 RPM is memory serves. Now tell me, where does the auto tranny tend to shift at in the RPM range using normal acceleration? The result is gonna be a nasty jerk, followed by a huge surge downwards in power. Not good for fuel, and since you're gonna have to switch over to premium fuel for the rest of your turbo days, it'll start to get old quick.

Turbo auto can be done. The only thing I'm saying here is that the disadvantages far outweight the benefits.
              Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
              D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
              ┴─┴
              ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

swap then turbo if you still want more power...swap is smarter to begin with..it gives you a power boost, but no added stress on the motor from boost, no worryin about a turbo getting oil starved, no worries with a stock motor, plus it will pull better being that its all motor..always remember
                NA>boost

Comment

The H22 isn't a bad choice. It's a 60hp gain (assuming JDM) over your current motor, and you'll still have a stock motor under the hood. Paired with the appropriate automatic tranny, it would be reasonably quick and perfectly reliable.

Turbo, on the other hand, would put a good deal of stress on the auto tranny. It'll work for a while, but the stock auto tranny isn't made to put that kind of power down. Hell, the stock manual tranny isn't either! But the manual ones usually just go through clutches faster... auto transmissions have a lot more wearing out.

If you swap with plans for future boost, DO NOT go with the H22 unless you want to spend a lot of money building it up.

My advice: Swap to a 5 speed transmission (it's a pain, but doable) and go boost if you want to make lots of power. If you want to stay auto, go H22.

Comment

If it's your daily driver and reliability is an issue, don't go turbo. I played with this same question of turbo or h22. I'm going h22 because I need a daily driver that's fun to drive and it has to be reliable. With turbo, you have constantly monitor everything. The wrong tune and your motor is gone.

If this car is a weekend fun toy, slap some forged pistons and rods in and boost the crap out your stock motor. With ductile iron sleeves, 8.8:1 CR, and availability of DSM parts (dime a dozen), the f22 was almost designed for boost.

Summary:
                    DAILY DRIVER- H22 NA> F22 w/ Boost
                    WEEKEND TOY- H22 NA < F22 w/ mad boost
                    Former Ride:
                    93 Accord Coupe
                    Jdm H22 w/ LSD
                    Type S pistons and cams

New Ride:
                    Bone stock 99 2.3CL
                    Black on Black Leather
                    5spd

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn."
                    C. S. Lewis

Comment

Don't forget the auto tranny though... that's a weak link when it comes to power output. Honda's autos aren't as bulletproof as their manual transmissions.

Also, if you go H22, don't just buy the cheapest thing you can find. Cheap H22 = beat, tired, or broken H22... I've only known a few lucky ones that managed to get quality engines from shady places (cp[mike] ordered his on ebay... 6 months later, he still didn't get it... one day, a motor appeared on his doorstep. It worked for quite a while... I consider him a lucky one.)

Comment

What Trannys Can He Use- Cause I Was On The Fence About The Same Thing But Have Decided To Go With The H22 And The Thing Is I Just, 2 Months, Ago Put A Rebuilt Stock Tranny In My Car. But I Heard I Can Still Use It Is That Tru

WTB: edm rear fog, 88-91 ef 4dr

Comment

Yeah, all the F and H series trannies (aside from the s2k tranny) can be used. They're all interchangable. The gearing is different, that's all. The F22 tranny will take longer to get through the gears, which is good for turbo, but not that great for NA (especially for the H22). It's not THAT much different though.

Comment

You have to think about what you want Boost or swap, First what kind of power gains are looking for, second do you have the money to make these gains. Like I said before I'm not a big fan of H22 anymore after I seen what B-series motord can do, I have B16 get boosted as we speak with stock internals and I know that Im only gonna be able push 6-7 lbs daily driver and 8-9 racing, any thing past that on stock internals your gonna blow a rod or or motor, shit you can blow you motor by redlining to far misshift and all that money you spent boosting went to shit ... You have a 167k on your f22, you do relize also when you boost it does wear down your engine faster so the maitnence is a bitch ...You aren't gonna get 200 hp to the wheels out of an h22 unless you spend cash building it up, People may say that their 200hp but I bet people who say that never dynoned their car either ... Oh and thats the other thing dyno and TUNING is the key for power gains with ANY turbo application, so like some on said before I hope you know what your getting your self into with both...
                            Last edited by LOGICx420x; 05-23-2006, 01:00 PM.

93 Accord H22.. 10th anniv.edition-wrecked R.i.P

99 EM1 Boosted type R- Jacked and never found

Comment

So It Wont Hurt Performance Too Much If I Run A F22a4 Tranny With The H22
                              And What Should I Do Before I Get The Motor Installed Other Than Timing Belt, Water Pump, And Clutch

WTB: edm rear fog, 88-91 ef 4dr

Comment

Working...
                              X