Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Axles...honda or napa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axles...honda or napa?

So I made a trip over to my local Honda Dealership to see how much their axles cost. The guy behind the counter quoted me at $186 each. Now I was going to do both of them at the same time for the peace of mind since I have no clue when they were last changed. The guy also said that Honda has a great remanufacturing program and that their axles are better than new ones. Now I think this was more of a sales pitch than anything else. I mentioned that Napa has axles and he said that they don't even compare to Honda's.

Now is this the truth or is just trying to make a sale? I searched but couldn't find information comparing the two. From what I saw when searching, most people say they got them at their local parts store. Here's a quote from our administrator himself, deevergote: "
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Remanufactured Axles are $75 after the core at Napa or AutoZone (AZ has a lifetime guarantee, but I like Napa's parts better). I'm about to replace a Napa driver's side axle after 4 years or so... well over 60k miles, I think.
    So my question is: Is it worth the extra $100 each to go with Honda axles?

Another quick question, while I was at Honda I purchased a brake master cylinder and it came out to $250. On the receipt it also says that there is a "rod assembly" with this which cost me $86. Then I looked at Majestic Honda and I found the master cylinder to be $138. The rod assembly was $61 on Majestic Honda. The only thing that I can think of that would make a difference is shipping but I don't think it would be $150. Now I'm confused. Someone help...

Majestic Honda sells the parts at a slightly "discounted" rate. If you walk into most dealerships, you will start out at the regular sticker price... but on items like a brake master cyl, if they know you need it, and likely will buy it, they will tack on a bit extra to the amount which goes either directly to them, or into a pool type comission. (doesnt happen at ALL stealerships, but does at all around here. There was a thread on it before.

And the axles... I get autozone, just because Napa is only open during bankers hours.. which is when people work. Autozone is open 7 days a week until 9pm... much nicer. Honda are probably the best ones, but for 70 bux at napa or autozone, you get a lifetime warranty. So it breaks, you take it back and get another.

From now on, buy your Honda OEM parts on Majestic.. that where I buy anything that needs to be OEM.

Comment

Shit dude, I bought 2 remanufactured Axels from Autozone for $200 and got a $90 core charge. Both only cost me $110! Check on some more prices!

Comment

Your dealership ripped you off, I'd suggest not going there again. The list price on majestic honda is 168.26. That's the retail price, but they are selling it for 126.19. There's an extra $50 deposit for the axle core. Shipping may be a problem though, so you'd be better off buying it from autozone.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...OOR%205MT%20EX

And as for the $250 brake cylinder, it's about $100 new on majestic.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...ASTER+CYLINDER

Hate stores that don't have a set price, and just make shit up. If you can try to return the brake master cylinder. They will probably charge some BS restocking fee of 110% or say its a "special order item" and it can't be returned. That's when you start yelling and streak through their showroom, making all would-be car buyers leave
        Last edited by i97supratti; 05-09-2006, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Personally, Honda's are best.

The line the guy gave you about Honda's axles being "better than new" is partly true. They measure the tolerances on EVERYTHING, and if it isn't in spec, then they replace it, with new parts that are OEM quality. I believe they will also make a part change if there was a known issue with that part (kinda like an autopart recall).

It isn't uncommon to get 80-100K out of a Honda Axle, before the boots even go bad. They are a little pricier, but they are also pretty much brand new, and their boots will last another 80-100K before you have to worry about them. If you buy them, there are several Honda Dealers that wholesale parts online, so I would try there first. Don't forget to add the core charge into it. Even after shipping, it will still rival or beat the cost of cheaper axles, if you look at if from a longevity perspective. ONLY Genuine Honda axles will count for the core charge refund though, so if yours aren't OEM, I would just go to Napa.

Napa's axles aren't bad at all. A lot of people use them for quite awhile with no issues. They won't last as long as OEM (the rubber is lower quality), but they will probably still make it 50-60K.

I won't touch Autozone/Checker axles with a 20 foot pole. They are the cheapest, and there is a reason.
          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

man fuckin every car dealer today charge like hell...I was quoted $360 for both..but i bought a set at monument part for $150 remanufacture..I bought a motor mount from Napa but its was make in Thailand haha

MY 1n2 CB7

Comment

Majestic honda is 5 min from me right now

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
                Napa's axles aren't bad at all. I won't touch Autozone/Checker axles with a 20 foot pole. They are the cheapest, and there is a reason.
                Just want to enlighten everyone here a little. FYI: Napa (Genuine Parts Group), Advance (a.k.a.= Checker, Schucks, Murray's, Kragen and Discount autoparts) and Autozone's reman cv axles were all made by the same company, CCT (Car Component Technology). Whenever you deal with man made products, there is always a chance of human error. With that being said, you could get a "good one" or a "bad one" at any location. So its really down to price because they all carry limited lifetime warranties. Don't confuse that with "guarranty". They aren't "guarrantied" to last......cause they will eventually fail but, if they fail under average wear and tear, and you are the original purchaser, that would "warrant" a new remanufactured axle.

Comment

i would say unless you havea ashit load of horsepower in your cb7 go with the dealer item if not napa, autozone and any other parts store is just fine. anyways when you get them from autozone you have warranty on them and you can return them if they break, changing axles is not the hardest thing in the world.

Comment

Are we talking about NEW axles or Reman.?

Most of the Axles we get at work comes from Napa.
                    I dont think its worth it buying a Reman. axle from Honda.
                    For all you know, they got it made by the same company that did Napa's.

Comment

Off topic, but could someone explain this core charge thing to me?
                      Gary A.K.A. Carter
                      [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man
                        Off topic, but could someone explain this core charge thing to me?

Say the axle from autozone is 69.99 plus a 45.00 core charge.

you pay 114.99 plus tax to buy the axle. When you put the new one in, you bring back your old one, and they will give you back your 45 dollars.

Comment

Cool, that is neat, I guess. Gives them a good supply of axles and other parts to be remanufactured.
                          Gary A.K.A. Carter
                          [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

napa is good i have 2 rebuilt axles from them on each side they are both good ,had them for 1yr so far and still great i got mine for 51 dollers each i dont pay for the core cause i know the guy and they know i will give them my old one cause why would u want your old axle that is broken lol
                            Last edited by hpaccord91; 05-09-2006, 10:07 PM.

(\__/)
                            (O.o )
                            (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man
                              Cool, that is neat, I guess. Gives them a good supply of axles and other parts to be remanufactured.
                              without the cores.. you wouldnt have any parts for people to buy. A great case and point is if you were to go in and try to buy the legend 4 piston calipers or whatever they were. So many people would buy them, and then exchange a set of accord or whatever other kind of calipers they had sitting around that eventually, there are hardly any left for sale.

Of course, thats not the greatest idea, because if they want to, they can just charge you teh core for not returning the right part (if they end up looking at it). For the core, you usually have to fill out a receipt with name, phone number and signature or soemthing.

Comment

Working...
                              X