Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Could it be my main relay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could it be my main relay?

I was just thinking. Sometimes I have a hard time when its warmer out getting the car started, or if I drive a bit, shut it off, and try to start it right back up(for whatever reason) the car wont start back up. I'll have to wait afew minutes until it starts. So does it make sense to say that maybe when the car warms up after a while my main relay might be cutting in and out and causing a misfire, which will cause a knock, and make the car retard the timing since it detects knock? In theory it makes sense but b4 I go and buy one I just want to make sure that this makes sense to someone else.

I posted this in the WTF where is my power thread but figured I'll get a better faster answer here.
    No longer working on the cb. To much time and money has been put into it. Check my for sale thread where the whole car will be parted out.

Sounds like your main relay if your having a harder time to start up in warmer weather...Main Relay primes the pump you should hear a high pitch sound when you key on. Sounds like something electrical is turning on.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I dont really here anything when I start the car, but then again I have so much other stuff coming on at the same time that I might be missing it.
      You think that my theory holds any water though? Sometimes it just feels like the car is really short on power, and other times it feels like it has it by the tons. Cant seem to figure it out, especially since I just replaced all the timing and stuff like that.
      No longer working on the cb. To much time and money has been put into it. Check my for sale thread where the whole car will be parted out.

Comment

No i would check your timing.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Problem is yesterday I just had all the timing replaced/belts and all/ and had the timing reset to 15 degrees. Car still feels less powerfull than it used to be. I might replace the relay anyway just since i know its not great, but I dont know what else.

Maybe I just really need a cam shaft. Delta here i come.

Comment

I had the same problem with my car, so I replaced the relay and it starts up just fine...the car definately seems to run better too

Comment

Main relay issues are related to cabin temperature, not engine temp.

What engine do you have? Do you even have a knock sensor?

If you relay cuts out, fuel pressure goes to zero, and you're coasting.
              2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
              Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
              1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

f22a1 with the f22a6 im lower and h23 upper. I also have an adjustable fpr set at 33/34 psi at idle. I dont have a header or catback though and I dont think that helps. It just doesnt feel as quick as it used to, also one time I forgot to put the gas cap back on and the felt like it had tons more pickup if that makes any sense.

Comment

So you did a tuneup right?

maybe your battery? get it tested...

1990 Accord Lx F22a1(Daily) SOLD - will be missed
                  1990 Prelude Si B21a1 (Fun car!)

Comment

have an optima red top, but I did run it dry twice so that could make sense. Whenever I hook it up to a volt tester though it shows at over 12 volts. Its perplexing aint it?

Comment

Well, do some tests...

for 3 days, park your car in the sun, outdoors. start car.
                      Then for 3 days, park your in the shade...start car.
                      Did you listen like Nail05 said? main relays make a hiss, click @fter 1 turn of the key...

Main relays get hot, they dont like to work...

I dunno...

good luck though...

1990 Accord Lx F22a1(Daily) SOLD - will be missed
                      1990 Prelude Si B21a1 (Fun car!)

Comment

Well 2.2azuls moms car had the same problem. I checked her main relay and changed that the fuel filter and pump because she was 89 octane and her car runs better without any cutting out problems like it did from before.

Comment

I guess that where I am at right now. Need to run better fuel (of course more money) fuel filter I changed out about a year or two ago but hey maybe its just shitty. Fuel pump I have not done but I'll try the first two first then I'll see about the pump. Damn things cost a lot.

Comment

i just put on my egr block plate that I purchased from KMS. Seems to have helped a bit. Also I am going to get a new fuel filter now, probably from advance. Autozone sells such crap and thats whee I bought my last filter.

I was looking into a walbro fuel pump since its cheaper tham oem and more effective.

Comment

I had this same problem arise at the end of last summer. Ran fine all winter and now that the hot weather has returned the problem has reaccured. I dropped it off at a local shop and they ran a diagnostic when it wasnt starting and it came up saying there was no fuel getting to the engine. Checked all the relays and connectors and everything seemed fine so Im gonna change the fuel pump. Ordered it today so when I get it and install Ill let you know if that was the problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X