Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

91 Accord SE lock-up (overdrive) on transmission not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 Accord SE lock-up (overdrive) on transmission not working

I've pretty much reached the conclusion that I am going to have to replace the transmission to solve this, but I thought someone might have had a similar issue at some point. Here are the specifics.

Car seems to shift fine through the 4 gears, but on the highway in will engage the lock-up (overdrive) only for a few seconds and only when under a load (if I give it some gas). Once the car speeds up to the point where the load isn't as heavy (not as much torque?) it kicks back out and revs back up. I'm currently cruising at about 4000 RPM at 80MPH. With the ridiculousness of the gas prices, I need all the ecomony I can get (90 mile daily commute).

Car is a 1991 SE, now has 140,000 miles on it (was at 110k when I bought it 18 months ago). Problem has always been present. When I first bought the car, I had to replace the VSS because it failed. I hoped that would cure the transmission, but it didn't. I also threw a new lock-up selenoid on there, without any luck. Could be the TCU, but I didn't see anything burnt in there. Is there a way to road test it?

sorry the the length. Thanks for the help.

Fred.
    1991 Honda Accord SE (current)
    1993 Honda 10th Anniversary (victim of hit and run ... still in driveway)
    1990 Honda Accord LX (died at HRA-O at 230,000)

My car does the same thing. Quick way to save gas.

DONT CRUSE AT 80 MPH!!

Do the speed limit and the car will stay around 3 grand. If you have sports turn it off.
    No longer working on the cb. To much time and money has been put into it. Check my for sale thread where the whole car will be parted out.

Comment

thanks for the advice. I'm trying to get up earlier so I can slow down, but the average commute speed is probably 70-75 and I hate being that one slow car. Anyway, if there was a quick fix I'd try it, but it's liveable for now. The only other thing I have seen about this was changing a thermostat, which I don't fully understand, but I'm willing to try.

thanks,

Fred.

Comment

Couldnt hurt.

Also check the pcv grommet. If its dried up replace it. Hope this helps.
        No longer working on the cb. To much time and money has been put into it. Check my for sale thread where the whole car will be parted out.

Comment

i had that problem in my car. I took it to this shop and the guy was saying something about the clutch packets and the tcu chip. he was saying something like the tcu was fried or something. I was staring at this hot girl's ass. so anyways good luck.
          my 91 cb7
          Originally posted by 4doorfury
          I swear, if I hit a raccoon I'll just keep pushing him, there's no way he's going to fit underneath the car

Comment

sounds like it needs replaced.
            some cars have wings cuz they look cool.
            some cars have wings cuz they increase efficiency.
            some cars have wings to keep them from taking flight.
            f1 fan

Comment

thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the cheaper things and then just live with it until it gets worse, if it ever does. Or better yet, replace the car with another 90-93.

Comment

Working...
              X