Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Rough Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rough Idle

Hey everyone. I couldnt find a thread with my exact issue, so here we go....

I am buying a 91 accord lx for $1000. The car is clean, very little rust, and only 117k miles. I'll describe what it did when I drove it...

Fired right up, but had a sort of skip for probably 5 seconds....then that went away. Once I drove it, I noticed a rough idle. I know these usually idle low enough to rattle the dash, but this was kinda rough. It didnt seem like it wanted to die, and the second you touched the gas, it was smooth as silk. The guy that owns it said he just had it tuned up. Any ideas?

did you check for vacuum leaks?

Comment

What do you mean by a "skip"?

And during idle, the car didn't seem like it wanted to bog down?? Odd... Could be an issue with the injectors or something to that effect then...
      93 EXR
      In the works ^.^

Todo:
      Blower Unit replacement
      Climate Control Knob replacement
      Deck install
      SRI install
      New Brake Pads
      Rotor regrind
      Wheel polishing
      New struts (?)
      New springs

Comment

May need an idle air mixture adjustment (an I saying that right?). Doubtful it was done with the tuneup. And it can make make a big difference.

Also my car has been starting hard in the morning and will idle funny for a few seconds, runs beautiful otherwise. My mechanic says he's been getting a lot of hard starting complaints since gas was switched from Methanol to Ethanol.
        Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Originally posted by ncarter124
          I know these usually idle low enough to rattle the dash, but this was kinda rough.?
          When I first started up my accord when we pulled it out of storage. My engine mounts were so bad and the engine would raddle the dash. actually it rattle the whole inside of the car. Does your engine idle rough in park or drive? Mine sort of bounces in nuetral and park.

Comment

It could just be that the idle/air mixture needs adjustment. He could also be lying about the tune up to make the sale. Otherwise it could be the mounts, or a misfire.

Comment

Thanks everyone...I'll try to clarify.

What I mean by 'skip' is, its like its firing on 3 cylinders, but not that dramatic. Its just ever so slight. Then after about 5 seconds or so its gone. Its like an injector is lazy and doesnt start shooting for a few revs.

As far as park? Its a 5 speed. I really think its a firing issue, vacuum or otherwise, but the second you touch the gas its gone. Just smooth as silk until it goes down to under 800 rpm or so. And he is a coworker/friend of mine, so I dont think he is lying, but I dont doubt for a second it was a crappy tune up job. But I guess the key is it doesnt tick, knock, smoke or leak. Its just a daily driver so my new car thats on order doesnt see rain or snow, so im not too worried.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Otto
                May need an idle air mixture adjustment (an I saying that right?). Doubtful it was done with the tuneup. And it can make make a big difference.

Also my car has been starting hard in the morning and will idle funny for a few seconds, runs beautiful otherwise. My mechanic says he's been getting a lot of hard starting complaints since gas was switched from Methanol to Ethanol.
                Good idea. Ethanol is huge here in Iowa. thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ParoXoN
                  What do you mean by a "skip"?

And during idle, the car didn't seem like it wanted to bog down?? Odd... Could be an issue with the injectors or something to that effect then...
                  Yeah, it was low (and again, I know these idle super low), but it never seemed like it wanted to die. Its not really rough, just not very smooth at all.
                  I know, its a B**** to explain

Comment

Originally posted by Cby0
                    did you check for vacuum leaks?
                    I'll check em when I pick it up in a couple weeks for sure. That was one of my original ideas.

Comment

just a thought...i know it was said a tune up was done but see if the plugs were replaced....maybe gapped wrong or have a pair of crappy plugs or plug wires...Had an 82 Corolla that idled like ass but once you got going, it smoothed out...turned out to be an open plug wire...just my 2 cents
                      07 Kia Sportage (Her car)
                      91 Accord EX (My car)

04 BMW R1150RS (My bike)

Comment

sounds like a vac leak or a IAC valve....
                        some cars have wings cuz they look cool.
                        some cars have wings cuz they increase efficiency.
                        some cars have wings to keep them from taking flight.
                        f1 fan

Comment

Cool. Thanks guys, i'll check all of this and get back to ya!

Comment

engine mount

umm i would say an engine mount but since it does something weird when you first start it that is prolly out of the question

Comment

Working...
                            X