Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Weird Burning Smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Burning Smell

dis morning when i wus warming up my car i smelt sum burning smell from my grill, when i opened the hood i didnt see anything burning. but there hav been a rat nesting on the battery, not suree if dat could be the problem.

And when i drove to work, turned off the car, i still smelt the burning.

Dont kno whts wrong, please helpp !

look first if there are any liquid leaking from hoses...prestone...oils......

Comment

go check dem fluids in da car... anythin low? see if da coolant or da oil is missin, or find da genral area where it smelt. any wetness? rat nestin? coulda pissed on stuf, smelt like burnin piss or sumthin else?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
        go check dem fluids in da car... anythin low? see if da coolant or da oil is missin, or find da genral area where it smelt. any wetness? rat nestin? coulda pissed on stuf, smelt like burnin piss or sumthin else?
        lmao....

Comment

dont see any liquids leaking

the rat shit soo much on the battery

juss changed the oil about two weeks ago

the burning didnt smell like burning oil, it smelt like burning wires or plastic, seems like something is gonna catch on fire

im gonna get it cheked dis afternoon

Comment

hmm... burning wires/plastic is usually a very distinctive smell, if it were coolant or oil youd be able to tell the difference... it very well could be because of the rat, who knows where he could have crapped or peed before laying to rest on top of the battery... or he chewed a wire? clean up the rat and stuff, check all the fluids, then look and inspect all the wiring and see if anything is visibly messed up, chewed or melted... might even want to try using a rag and water and wipe/rinse down everything around the battery to make sure theres not dried rat pee anywhere...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

, the mechanic is too busy, hav to bring it tomorrow

but i'll chek and clean evrything tonite again

thanks for all the helpp, hope evrything is fine, i'll keep yu guys updated

Comment

any updates on this man? .. yesterday night coming home from work i smelt a wierd plastic burning smell from my vents, so i pulled over to see if it was my car or the outside air.. sure enough it was from my engine bay. I turned off the car and searched and searched where the smell was coming from. I narrowed it down to the driver side.. that's about it. I get back in the car, and i drive, but now i hear ticking sounds in my rear speakers, and a slight buzz as i accelerate as well. plastic keeps getting stronger, so i pull over again and scope things out, but this time i let the car cool off. get back in.. start driving home, no plastic smell for the first like 3 minutes, then it comes back.
                maybe a ground wire is burning up.. which is also effecting my speakers?..

I am about to go check things out, but if you had a mechanic look at urs please post and let us know .. let me know .. what was wrong with yours.

anyone else have a clue?
                -:Ĥ:-
                Originally posted by wed3k
                i rep cb7tuner all day, everyday. people say, "fuck y0 honda." and i say, "bitch, please."

Comment

I've gotten a burning smell a couple of times a year... so far nothing has come of it.

Maybe I'm biased... but I think Honda did a great job of engineering these machines... most other cars would have had a major failure by now... my Honda seems to take little problems in stride and keep on ticking.

Good cars...

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
                    this is the best thing ive read on the board in awhile

right near the grill? when i had a hole in the top of my radiator i could smell it when i was down by the grill

Comment

i actually been havin the same "symptoms", burning smell and check it out, everything looks normal , done a couple of times before not a everyday thing

Comment

sometimes i smell burning plastic after i run over a plastic bag and it sticks to my downpipe.

there's no way in hell i'd let a rat nest in my engine bay. later.
                        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Put a mouse/rat trap under your hood with some cheese
                          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
                            Put a mouse/rat trap under your hood with some cheese
                            later when then engine heats up .. u can have oven baked mice with cheese. lol

- so the smell is still around.. but faint now.. maybe some kind of plastic did fly up my engine bay... i jsut couldn't find it. . dosen't explain the speaker sqquealing though,, cus that went away as well .. all i did earlier was clean up the engine bay and move around some wires.
                            -:Ĥ:-
                            Originally posted by wed3k
                            i rep cb7tuner all day, everyday. people say, "fuck y0 honda." and i say, "bitch, please."

Comment

Rat noodle soup wit a soda on da side?

Comment

Working...
                              X